SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1886

County Jr

Just sold my 1886 Cimarron a few months ago. 

Mine was a Cimarron made by Chiappa. It had the straight grip, not the pistol grip stock.

I do think Cimarron does import a pistol grip stock made by Pedersoli.

From looking over the Chiappa and the Pedersoli, I concluded that the Pedersoli was the better of the two, in fit and finish, and the levering seemed to be more quality. The Chiappa is cheaper to purchase. The Pedersoli has more useless writing on the firearm. 

If you don't mind a pistol grip, or a higher price, or lots of writing on the firearm, then go with the Pedersoli.   

My Two Bits.

W.K.

Well, it is not as bad as some Pedersoli barrel markings.  

On the left side of the octagonal barrel, near the receiver it states: the serial number, then "dp", then "Pedersoli - Made in Italy /18", then under that statement: "1886 Sporting 26" - cal. 45/70".

That's not too bad, and the quality of a Pedersoli will likely out-weigh that bit of writing on the barrel. 

I simply prefer the caliber to be on the barrel, and the rest hidden, or not there, but that is just me. That's one reason I have not purchased a Ruger, or a Pietta, in many a year. 

Of the two, my opinion would be to go with either a new Pedersoli, or pay even more and go on one of the on-line sites and find a used Browning. Many think the Browning's are the best quality, but they stopped making them a while back, and the prices reflect that. 

Another good part about the Pedersoli's, the Chiappa's, and the older Browning's are...that unlike the reproduction "Winchester" lever actions, made currently in Japan, they have NO tang safety, so one could put on a Lyman, or Marbles, or Vernier tang mounted sight, if one so desired. 

W.K. 

Of course, on top of the barrel, will be the importer. It may say "Taylors Co Inc. Winchester, VA", or "Cimarron FA Fredericksburg, Texas", or whomever imported it. 

My Cimarron had that on top of the barrel, but in pretty small lettering, which I appreciated. 

W.K. 

Archived