SASS Wire Forum

10th Mountain Whiskey

Utah Bob #35998

The 10th Mountain Division trained at Camp Hale, CO in WW2 before deploying to Europe and battling through the Italian Alps defeating the Italian and German troops they faced. After the war veterans of the 10th returned to Colorado and started the sport skiing industry in the now famous resort towns of Vail and Aspen. 
A few years ago, vets of the 10th who had fought in Afghanistan started a distillery in Aspen.  I decided to try it. UPS brought me a bottle yesterday.

Okay then. For only a 1 year old compound this is surprisingly smooth. 75% Colorado sweet corn. Light Golden color I get immediate notes of vanilla, honey and toasted nuts. A bit sweet I thought at first, but I shortly changed my mind. At 92 proof it’s not hot but pleasantly warm. Perfect for this snowy evening. Nice medium long finish. This is a very nice non-Kentucky Bourbon. I can see me sipping it at the Derby with no shame at all. About the same price as my Colorado favorite, Stranahan’s, but I think this might well be my new favorite. Almost makes me want to go fire up the 4 wheeler and plow some more. But I think I’ll pop some corn and binge-watch Yellowstone instead! :D

FBC294A2-E566-49C8-8728-1B8FFD7E458B.jpeg

Archived