SASS Wire Forum

A Father's Day Short Story.

The Story of Anesthesia.

Many Years ago, in England, there was a father-and-son pair who were doctors. The father was very famous & innovative, & the son was young & enthusiastic. In those days there was no concept of anesthesia & whenever a patient was to be operated on, chloroform was given.

The father performed several experiments & was convinced by adding different chemicals that his medicine was effective. But there was one problem. No one would offer himself for the experiment. Without experimenting on a human being this medicine could not be officially released in the market.

Now, the doctor's son had six fingers on his left hand. One day, he suggested to his father, 'Father, I know your medicine is very good. You inject into my sixth finger & operate & remove the finger. Anyway I wanted to get rid get that finger. Let us perform this operation in front of other doctors. No man could stand the pain of surgery without anesthesia. When they look at my face they will come to know that your medicine has made the area numb & I am not experiencing any pain.'

As the suggestion was very good, father agreed upon. The day of operation came & several scientists, doctors & other public figures assembled to watch the effect of this MIRACLE INJECTION. The father exhibited his son's sixth finger, & injected the medicine. He said, 'Now I will start the operation. You can observe the patient's face.'

There was a smile on the young man's face throughout the operation & the operation was performed successfully. Everybody were amazed & congratulated the senior doctor for his work.

After they left, the young doctor (son) was dressing his wound. His father had tears in his eyes. He embraced his son & started sobbing uncontrollably.

'Sorry, my son, I knew what pain you were undergoing during the operation, you never showed it to the public.'

The injection had to be prepared by adding four chemicals, but in hurry & tension before the operation, the father forgot to add the fourth. Because of that the injection was not at all effective. There was uncontrollable pain during the operation. However son realized there was something his father had forgotten.

If he showed his pain his father's experiment would fail. He knew how hard his father had worked to develop this medicine. Son knew there was something missing in the medicine. In the middle of operation even father realized that medicine was not working. But he was unable to tell this in public. He knew what agony his son was undergoing in-spite of the smile on his face. That was why, when everyone left, he broke down crying.

The son consoled his father, 'Father, don't worry. For the welfare of others, I controlled my own pain.'

P.S. "Sacrificing your happiness for the happiness of the one you love, is by far, the truest type of love."

Archived