SASS Wire Forum

I've been trying to compose a letter UPDATED

Subdeacon Joe

One to my Assemblyman and CA State Senator asking them to oppose the new anti-civil rights laws that their comrades in legislature have proposed. Especially the bullet button ban.

First the Big D capons in Sacramento require that certain firearms have a magazine release that needs a tool of some sort to operate, hence the bullet button which can be pressed with a bullet tip.

Now they are claiming that firearms that have this required feature - one they required - are taking advantage of a "loophole." They seek to ban all semi-auto rifles that have a detachable magazine, or at the very least reclassify them as 'assault weapons.' That means that all ARs would have to have a non-detachable internal magazine.

I want to point out to the honorable gentlemen that requiring a tool to drop the magazine makes firearm handling unsafe and that this new proposal, requiring that AR platforms could only be reloaded by breaking them open and loading the magazine that way makes them even less safe, I want to point out that the first step in handling any magazine fed firearm is to drop the magazine, open the action and check the chamber. By requiring a fixed magazine that can only be reloaded by breaking the firearm open, they are requiring that the charging handle be operated many times if the magazine is loaded.

It is SO hard to stay civil and not rail, rant, and resort to name calling.

ADDED:

Got it worked out.

"Dear

In 1999 Democrats in Sacramento decided to make some firearms both more difficult to reload and less safe by requiring a tool be used to operate the magazine release.

Now, successors to those Democrats are calling the bullet button a loophole. A loophole created by Democrats. There are two bills to close that supposed loophole and make those firearms less safe to handle.

You know that the first step in handling any firearm safely is to ensure that it is unloaded. To that end the magazine is dropped, the action is cycled to eject any round that may be in the chamber and to visually check the chamber to verify it is empty.

The using a tool to operate the magazine release is awkward enough and interferes with safe handling. By requiring a fixed magazine and breaking open the firearm Democrats would make it necessary to operate the charging handle up to 10 times to fully unload a firearm since it is very difficult, as well as unsafe, to manipulate the take down pin with a loaded magazine in the firearm.

Why do Democrats seem to have a vested interest in creating unsafe conditions for honest gun owners? Why do Democrats have such a fetish for punishing honest gun owners for the predations of under 1/10th of 1% of all gun owners? Why do Democrats take such joy in denying civil rights to those who have done no wrong?

Both AB 1663 and AB 1664 are now in the Suspense Files, but I expect that they will soon raise, like Lazarus from the tomb, to walk again. If nothing else in the dishonest “gut and amend” shell game so common towards the end of a legislative session.

I strongly urge you to vote against both these bills when they surface again, as they surely will.
I also ask that you turn your back on your fellow Democrats in Sacramento and fight for the civil rights that are guaranteed to us in the Bill of Rights rather than working to decimate that great protection of rights and freedom.

Cordially,"

Had to edit that down from about 2900 characters to under 2000 for Assemblyman Woods.

Archived