SASS Wire Forum

Second set of firearms (finally!)

Hurricane Deck 100366

My family has been shooting a Rossi '92 and a set of Ruger New Vaqueros since we started a few months back. Of course the rugers are tanks. I installed a set of Wolfe springs in them and have done nothing else but shoot them. We all agree that the Rossi is a hoot to shoot, and I've worked out the correct OAL for the rifle (finally) so that it stops double-feeding. It's been very reliable and we all truly enjoy shooting it. The only real problem we've had was a jam caused by a round that was poorly loaded (by me). However we've also discovered that three (!!) people sharing the same set of firearms is just too much to shuffle around during a shoot and I feel it puts all of us at risk of mechanical problems due to the number of rounds that are put through the guns during a match, so it was time to pick up a second set. Everything is 38/357 caliber, just like what we're running now. And while we love the Rossi, we wanted something different (and higher end)

For 6 shooters, we went with a set of Taylors & Co. Smokewagon Deluxe's. We all like the smaller frame and checkering when compared to the Rugers we're currently shooting - but handling it and feeling that action job sealed the deal for my wife. They're a totally different feel from the Rugers.

For the rifle we went with an Uberti 1873 Special Sporting short rifle with the 20" octagon barrel, semi-pistol grip and factory checkering. We chose this rifle over a standard 1873 short rile with the straight stock and no checkering.

How many of you shooting the semi-pistol grip style? The price difference was about $100, but this rifle just felt 'nicer' and looked 'better' than the other basic straight stock 1873 we were looking at. The checkering sure is nice! To me, the action seemed smoother as well, though the trigger is still very heavy and that &*$#$!!@ lever safey needs lighten up more Butch Cassidy during a bank robbery. The plan is put a few hundred rounds down range before we have any action work done - we all look forward to breaking the new goodies in!

So, the new guns combined with the two 97's and an 87 shotgun (backup) gives us two full sets. Hopefully, we can spend less time running around like mad getting all three of us through a stage and spend more time helping the posse out!

Archived