SASS Wire Forum

1872 Open Top, Changing Firing Pins

Mean Matt McCord, SASS #24683

During a match yesterday, the dreaded firing pin break that seems to be inherent with open tops finally happened to me. I have already ordered replacement pins from Bill English at The Smith Shop, but I had a couple of stupid questions, if you don't mind:

In general, how difficult is it to change them out?

Is there anything that has to be done to the pistol when you install Mr. English's firing pins?

Thank you in advance.

Mean Matt

They are easy as pie to replace. At the very top of the hammer is a small cross pin. Knock this pin out and the firing pin will come out. If you did not order the cross pins from The Cowboy Shop as well be careful not to preen the pin when you knock it out. Put the new firing pin in and then knock the small cross pin back in. I did order new cross pins and had to grind them down ever so slightly. But with the Dremel it was not a problem. Have had no issues since and the new pins hold up to the wear and tear.

Good Luck.

Major George A. Forsyth

Used hardened pins from VTI so's hopefully I'll never have a repeat of the problem. Getting the crosspins out required a bit of effort. Ended up using ground down finishing nails as punches to keep from bending my small pin punch. If the homemade punch bent I just made another, also the nail is softer than the cross pin so's damage is less likly. Been shooting them for a season since the change and not one lick of a problem. This fix really does improve performance of these model pistols. :):)

the point about hardened pins is a good one. When I went thorough this, not all products on the market were hardened, so, I had to do it. Its an easy enough task. On thing to consider, you may have to fit the pin. It could be too long or too short (like it needs a new"pencil point"). Fitting a hardened pin is tougher than fitting the pin and then hardening it.

Archived