SASS Wire Forum

Horses

Noz

Back when they were still killing horses in places like palistine texas, horse prices were at an all time high. when the tree huggers got the ban put on horse prices bottomed out. Got to the point ya couldnt give them away. i saw a horse tied to a stop sign with the word free marked on his side. i heard some people was turning them lose cause the couldnt afford to feed them and couldnt give them away.

Now with horses not worth a dime , the government ( tree huggers)have decided to save the mustang. Now even if ya dont want to adopt a mustang your tax dollars are used to pay ranchs to pasture an take care of thousands of head of wild horses.

i know at one point horse meat ,packaged an setting on the dock ready to ship to europe was $2.50 a pound, and i dont think that was as high as it got but point being that market was good for everyone .

rant over sorry i couldnt stop myself.

hogshooter

I have eatten horse and I like it and don't see what all the fuss is about !

Part of it is over-educated treehugging do-gooders with, I will assume, good intentions but no common sense or practical life experience.

The part about eating horse meat is just cultural mores and personal experience.

I mainly stick to the usual suspects: cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys. I'd never* eat a dog, but people all over the world do.

I had squirrel once as a kid, don't remember it. Eaten deer, as most here probably have, but I know people who are horrified at the notion. Pork is a big no-no many places. I have never eaten woodchuck or possum, but know people who have. I don't go out looking for it, but I'd probably try it if the opportunity presented itself. As far as horse, I'd eat a ton of it before I'd even think about putting something like lobster, crab, oysters in my mouth. Yuck.

*I shouldn't have to qualify this statement: obviously extreme hunger changes ones mindset.

Part of it is over-educated treehugging do-gooders with, I will assume, good intentions but no common sense or practical life experience.

The part about eating horse meat is just cultural mores and personal experience.

I mainly stick to the usual suspects: cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys. I'd never* eat a dog, but people all over the world do.

I had squirrel once as a kid, don't remember it. Eaten deer, as most here probably have, but I know people who are horrified at the notion. Pork is a big no-no many places. I have never eaten woodchuck or possum, but know people who have. I don't go out looking for it, but I'd probably try it if the opportunity presented itself. As far as horse, I'd eat a ton of it before I'd even think about putting something like lobster, crab, oysters in my mouth. Yuck.

*I shouldn't have to qualify this statement: obviously extreme hunger changes ones mindset.

"When eating opossum, it's always a good idea to eat in pairs. That way one of the two can always be watching for traffic."

Opossum should be handled in accordance with the general rules for game in the field. The blood should be drained and the entrails removed. The body cavity should be wiped clean. When hung for 48 hours, they are ready to be skinned and cooked.

Opossum meat is light colored and tender. Excess fat may be removed, but there is not a strong flavor or odor contained in the fat. Chill to firm up fat for easy removal. If possible, trap 'possum and feed it on milk and cereals for 10 days before killing. Clean, but do not skin. Treat as for pig by immersing the unskinned animal in water just below the boiling point. Test frequently by plucking at the hair. When it slips out readily, remove the 'possum from the water and scrape. While scraping repeatedly, pour cool water over the surface of the animal. Remove small red glands in small of back and under each foreleg between the shoulder and rib. ^_^ <BR WP="BR1">

"When eating opossum, it's always a good idea to eat in pairs. That way one of the two can always be watching for traffic."

Opossum should be handled in accordance with the general rules for game in the field. The blood should be drained and the entrails removed. The body cavity should be wiped clean. When hung for 48 hours, they are ready to be skinned and cooked.

Opossum meat is light colored and tender. Excess fat may be removed, but there is not a strong flavor or odor contained in the fat. Chill to firm up fat for easy removal. If possible, trap 'possum and feed it on milk and cereals for 10 days before killing. Clean, but do not skin. Treat as for pig by immersing the unskinned animal in water just below the boiling point. Test frequently by plucking at the hair. When it slips out readily, remove the 'possum from the water and scrape. While scraping repeatedly, pour cool water over the surface of the animal. Remove small red glands in small of back and under each foreleg between the shoulder and rib. ^_^ <BR WP="BR1">

Buddy, I am NEVER eating at your house :lol: :lol:

Archived