SASS Wire Forum

Update from the frozen wastelands of N. Alabama

Guest sawyer#34250

Guest sawyer#34250

Well, the blizzard has come and gone leaving behind hundreds of wrecked cars in its wake! Expert snow and ice drivers are really rare down here, however the number of people who think they are is in the thousands ;) ! Now all we have is 8 inches of frozen snow that the weather folks say will last all week. Freezing drizzle this AM which should make the bumper car fanatics really happy. Forecast for 8(eight, holy crap!!) degrees!!

Where are we? I went to bed and I woke up somewhere near the Artic Circle. Send me a drink of high proof over the wire, I think I will need it before the day is out!!

OK, I know you Yankees are going to say that you drive to work and school in a hundred feet of snow uphill both ways and never miss a day of work. Well down here, we enjoy missing a day of work due to snow every 50 years or so!! :P:D

Pictures of Alabama snow Christmas day and Jan 10th. You can see how deep it is in the picture of the backhoe.

http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/...ll/Snow%20Pics/

BTW, it's snowing pretty hard at my house right now.

I understand your pain, Pard. I drove 857 miles down here to Graham, NC., to get out of the snow for the winter, and it's snowed a few times since we got here already.

I am pleased to report that the wife, me, and the little yappy dog have survived the "Great January Storm" in good shaped. It wasn't easy, but we got past it. Started Monday morning with and overcast skies temps down in the 30's. Snow was forcasted for later in the day, so schools were closed. Went out to the Flying J to fill one of my propane tanks, and they were sold out of propane for the day and waiting for a delivery. It soon got worse, as the temps droped clear down to the low 30's. Shortly before dark, it began to actialy snow!!! That's when things really got bad, we got nearly a half inch of snow!!! Then it turned to sleet!!! On and on it went, and we finaly wound up with nearly 1/8 in of ice on top of the 1/2 in of snow!!!!

This morning I had to take a rubber squeegy and wipe the layer of ice from the PU windows and from the Golf Cart so I could run out to pick up the mail. Sure glad we put knobby tires from a Quad on the Golf Caet. or I might have gotten stuck with it.Luckly, by now nearly all the ice is melted from the PU and shortly I'll run back out to the Flying J and get the extra tank filled.

We will endever to perserver and hopefully will survive this horrable storm!!!!!

Greeenriver

The previous post was in fun. Truthfuly, 2" of snow in an area that seldom gets snow is worse than a foot of snow in the northern states, where it's expected, the road crews have the equipment, the training, and the experence to deal with it on a daily basis. Some of our roads in MI. are better in the winter after the snow and ice fills in all the POTHOLE'S in them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greeenriver

Sawyer, the wind has been blowin' so hard out here in Indian Territory that it blew all of the snow and ice to Alabama, fer sure, 'cause we ain't got none, ain't had none, and there ain't any in the forecast.

...howsomeever, it is a bit cold; high today is expected to 25 degrees, and yes the wind is blowin'!

Not to worry. Global Warming will set things right again. Here in Wisconsin we are having a colder than normal winter, again. New York is experiencing another blizzard warning.

I think it's time for Global Warming proponents to take up snow shovels. Or at least BS shovels. . .

DD-DLoS

Archived