SASS Wire Forum

75 Remington

Tom Foolery U.S.M. #2348

Have any of you 75 Remington shooters had issues with the ejector rod binding against the cylinder rod? Mine are Uberti's about 18 years old and both ejector rods bind up about half way down the track

TF

Been shooting a pair for 10 years now and I have had no trouble with the ejector rods, just a couple of springs and paws.

Tom.

I have a 7 1/2" '75 Remington in 44WCF. It has been an occasional shooter for about 5 years. The last two matches I shot with it, I have snaped the ejector rod. Not sure why. I suspect that the rod is binding on the cylinder. It never happens when I am practicing only at matches where I am trying to go faster. Both times near the end of the match. I shoot BP so by the end of the match the gun would be getting sticky. Not really sure why this is happening.

Bruce

I can tell you probably your problem. My friend Zyzxx Zeke has a pair of 75's in 357 (and these are more prone to the problem) He had a tendance to push the ejector rod pretty hard, and if you don't have the cylinder lined up just right it will hit the face of the cylinder. Do it enough or hard enough and it will bend. He also bent the "finger button" on the end of the rod and it then is sticking as you press it down

When you buy a new rod, you will notice that it is cut off flat on the end that enters the cylinder, it needs to be ground down to a taper (specially with the 38, that has a smaller hole) It rides along close to the barrel and then it is fed into the cylinder because of the taper on the end.

Look at the end of it and how it enters the cylinder....

hope that helps

curley

PS I have had no problem with my 45's and Top has had no problem with his 44/40;s.

I have 4 75'.One in 357 and 3 in 44-40.Been shooting 2 of them for years now and I haven't had any problems with mine.The other 2 I bought used off of the wire this last spring and have shot them at several matches with no problems.If I had to guess,I'd bet the rod got bent a tad and that could cause the problem.It wouldn't take much to put it into a out of line or bind position.

My first cowboy revolver, a well-used 7 1/2" in 38/357, the ejector rod bound-up regularly. I replaced the single, thick-wire heavy spring with 3 light weight aluminum springs that just barely fit diameter-wise into the web-housing. Then I got a new 5 1/2" one, same problem, used the same solution. Then I picked up an 1890 "Police model" (same basic design), it too was really stiff and the ejector hardly went into the chamber. Same fix. They all work great. Regards, BGood

Archived