SASS Wire Forum

Howa rifles opinions

I have owned several of their rifles, the last was more years ago than I'd like to admit. Great rifle, very accurate, excellent fit and finish.

They are also the manufacturer of the Vangaurd for Weatherby ( or used to be anyway), producted rifles for Smith & Wesson in the late 1970's. As far a currently I can't say, and have not kept up with prieces on any modern type rifles (hutning rifles, bolt action, seni-auto, ect) in about 10 years so I can't speak for the price. But they were quality guns when I delt with them.

Hope this helps you some. Maybe someone else can tell you about their more recent guns.

I have about the same to add as Bitteroot. Several years ago I owned a couple of their rifles, one notably in 308 sold under the S&W banner. It was inexpensive but a quality piece and very accurate. Since it is essentially the same gun from the same company I would expect that the same responses would hold true. Smithy.

Good guns==I have a S & W 300 win mag and a Vanguard .338 mag. Both have taken elk to almost 400 yards. Used the .300 for everything from jacks to elk for years at ranges up to 450 yards. Never a problem. Glass bedded the .300 and it went from sea level in SoCal deserts to 6000" in a Montana winter without changing zero. Both guns prefer Federal Premiums with Partitions and shoot 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" groups. I would use 4-5 shells each year to check the zero and it rarely changed from year to year.

Archived