SASS Wire Forum

Met a ww2 vet Friday

I was at an auction Friday and saw a guy even older than me sporting a B-24 Liberator cap. I approached him and introduced myself but even with his hearing aids in he was just about stone deaf. He carried little cards in his breast pocket so I could write down what I wanted to0 tell him. Turns out he did fly Libs in WW2 and in face bailed out over Germany. It was his good fortune to land among the front ranks of some 3rd Army tanks. He said he was never so glad to hear anyone speak English in his life. I really wanted his whole story but it was plain to see that I was bothering him and he didn't want to talk any more about it. I thanked him for his service and said i appreciated what he did. He looked at me and said you wouldn't care unless you served yourself. I told him I had served in the Air Force and he said "Then we both done what we were ordered to, Thank you for your service" and walked away. I really wanted more of his story but you have to respect a vet who just doesn't want to talk about it.

Archived