SASS Wire Forum

GOA Muleskinner Results!

Stoneburner

Howdy All!

We all had a BLAST Friday evening running the Muleskinner Challenge, and hope y'all enjoyed coming up to hang with us "horsey folks." We had 98 entries, though I think Horrible Hogan and Vaquero Jake were about half of those! Before I list the results, let me give thanks again to those who helped us by sticking around Friday afternoon to RO, time and spot stages 1 and 2 for the mounted shooters who were competing in the All-Around Cowboy: Big Six Henderson, Cheyenne Culpepper, Cimmaron Lil, Honey B Quick, Two Hearts, and Serenity, as well as Lassiter for saying, "Yeah, we can have you guys come down and shoot a couple!"

For those not familiar with the Muleskinner Challenge, we set up two lines of 5 balloons each in the mounted arena, then tow a miniature buckboard, ridden by a pair of CAS shooters, with a Polaris/Gator/similar utility vehicle. We charge $5 a person to cover ammo, balloons, gas, and have some profit to put back into our newly built arena. Shooters can run as long as their wallets will let 'em, with winners being posted here for braggin' rights 'til next year.

On to the Top Ten Muleskinner Teams!

1st: Deadeye Vaquero and Lassiter

2nd: Deadeye Vaquero and Vaquero Jake

3rd: Vaquero Jake and Horrible Hogan

4th: Vaquero Jake and Horrible Hogan

5th: Frederick Jackson Turner and Bustlin' Belle

6th: Deadeye Vaquero and Vaquero Jake

7th: Deadeye Vaquero and Frederick Jackson Turner

8th: Frederick Jackson Turner and Bustlin' Belle

9th: Vaquero Jake and Horrible Hogan

10th: Black Tom and Shaddi Vaquero

Through personal challenges, we had a unique category this year, the Gunfighter, wherein a single wagon rider went out with a pair of pistols to shoot all 10 balloons. Here are those results:

1st: Frederick Jackson Turner

2nd: Lassiter (though he rightly points out everyone else shot Duelist, only he shot proper alternating pisols for Gunfighter!)

3rd: Deadeye Vaquero

4th: Bustlin' Belle

Thanks again to Lassiter, Deadwood Stan, the Big Irons Rangers and the Middletown Sportsmen's Club for their tremendous support, and if you had a good time Friday night, thank these folks as well:

Marshal Cahill and Kay Francis armourers

Sweet 'n Sassy and her brother, Daniel Solomon, balloon setters

Fred Shaw (my dad), announcer

Nancy Shaw (my mom) score keeper

I know Rawhidenlace, Hoolihan Dan, Serenity and Wild Donkey were helping as well, but I got so busy driving I couldn't keep track of what all they were doing!

Forgive me if I left anyone out who lent a hand!

let me give thanks again to those who helped us by sticking around Friday afternoon to RO, time and spot stages 1 and 2 for the mounted shooters who were competing in the All-Around Cowboy: Big Six Henderson, Cheyenne Culpepper, Cimmaron Lil, Honey B Quick, Two Hearts, and Serenity, as well as Lassiter for saying, "Yeah, we can have you guys come down and shoot a couple!"

I also would like to say thank you to those listed above for all your help and support. It was fun and exciting to shoot lead at targets other than balloons. However, I still am not as comfortable as with a horse and blanks. All in all the afternoon was fun, and I learned a thing or two about handling guns in the proper order and how to be fast and accurate.

For those of you who did come down to the arena and try your hand at our sport, you missed out on alot of fun and camaraderie. It was fun watching all of you shoot with one hand instead of two. It also gave me an excuse to get another horse accustom to gunfire. If you do the math while I was setting balloons from horseback, I figure my horse heard over 880 shots in one evening. By the time it was over, he really could have cared less. :)

For those of you who missed it, we hope to see you next year. I might have another horse to desensitize. LOL

Rawhidenlace ~ Dottie Linville

Archived