SASS Wire Forum

Chisum on Netflix

The Original Bad Bob

One of John Wayne's better late movies Chisum (1970) is on Netflix right now. I just watched the first half. It's pretty good. I haven't watched any of his movies for a while, and forgot how entertaining he was to watch.

It has a Billy the Kid subplot in it too, which I had forgotten. It depicts William Bonney in a sympathetic light, as if he was a good guy who had this killer side to him that he was trying to control.

It's a lot better movie than Silverado, in my opinion, but then I'm old and really like the better John Wayne movies. Reminds me of when I was a kid and watching them, I guess. Heck, I saw the original True Grit when it first came out in a movie theater.

I'll have to watch the rest later. The kid wants to watch one of her movies now. :huh:

I was a Senior in College when Chism came out. Billy the Kid hung out about 35 miles from my hometown in the Texas Panhandle. I like the westerns he made from 59 on back to 39 the best. I probably have most every movie he made from 1930 to the Shootist. He will always be my favorite movie actor. The Quiet Man is another favorite and it isn't even a western.

Archived