SASS Wire Forum

M1907 Winchester SLR

I'm thinking about one of these. They were produced from 1907 to about 1957 with 50,000+ being made. They are only found in .351 Winchester SLR. Some have said they were the inspiration for the M1 Carbine (even though that turned out to be a very different weapon). U.S. military use was by the Army with the First Aero Squadron during the Punative Expedition. It was extensively used by the observers in French aircraft in WWI. The British used a few; the Russians placed a large order but I'm not sure how many was ever delivered.

The major market turned out to be law enforcement, prison guards, and the early Border Patrol (when officers were required to buy their own weapons). At least a few went to the Texas Rangers. There were civilian sales but it was always an expensive weapon (relative to Winchester's other offerings).

It came with a five round factory mag. but 10 round mags., Winchester and aftermarket, were available.

Prices run from about $400 for a rough version to $2000 for a Deluxe version in good condition. Ammo is available from a number of vendors who specialize in "obsolete" calibers but is pricy.

If anyone has any advice or experience with this rifle I'd be obliged if they could post it! :FlagAm:

SQQ

Archived