SASS Wire Forum

12 ga Winchester AA LRLN

Renegade Ripley

So i fine these (some time) anywhere from $7.00 to $9.00 a box, You Cowboys/Cowgirls that Load your own, What if any is your savings? I stopped loading them a while back thinking i would do just as well buying them, Now i am going to start loading again cause i just cant find them very often,

Your Thoughts?

Thanks Renegade Ripley

I did the math a while back but don't remember the specifics. You save some, but not a whole lot.

I started reloading shotshells for just that reason, I couldn't find any AA LNLR and got tired of frequent trips to stores in hopes of finding them.

I now reload primarily the green Remington STS hulls, I find that they reload and crimp more consistently and hold up to more times of being reloaded than AA hulls. YMMV.

Because folks can't find the LNLR shells all the time.

Because folks like loads even lighter than LNLR.

Because folks like their loads in the Rem STS hulls because those shuck more reliably than Win AAs.

Because some folks like a black powder shell.

Because some folks like to be super self reliant.

Because some folks can get good deals on components (like volume buys of reclaimed shot)

Yes, some folks get a little savings per box, especially if you don't put a value on your time loading.

I load shotshells because I like an 1100 FPS one ounce load in STS hulls and those can be even more hard to find and more expensive than Win LNLR. I also use some BP loads. I get savings back on BP loads. I get very little savings on the smokeless loads. Just a savings in aggravation trying to find factory loads that suit me.

Good luck, GJ

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L, on 07 Oct 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L, on 07 Oct 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

That's why I load my own, it's iffy to find them on the shelves.The demise of Winchester AA Lite powder has been a challenge for some, but there are a number of alternatives.

They still make the "featherlite" powder. Winchester is not releasing it for public use. They're keeping it for the LRLN factory made shells. We've been lucky here. Scheels Sporting goods will order the LRLN as long as their distributor has it. They even have it back on the shelves, but not for long. It gets bought up almost as soon as it gets here, Wally World has it sometimes too.

I reload mostly the AA hulls. I do use the STS hulls once in a while but I've found about 50% of them won't let the primer seat flush in the hull like a AA will. It's not a case where it interferes with the shotgun, just doesn't seem right when the AA hulls always seat flush. This is the case with Winchester and CCI 209's.

Interesting that not one person said they like

So i fine these (some time) anywhere from $7.00 to $9.00 a box, You Cowboys/Cowgirls that Load your own, What if any is your savings? I stopped loading them a while back thinking i would do just as well buying them, Now i am going to start loading again cause i just cant find them very often,

Your Thoughts?

Thanks Renegade Ripley

Since most say the savings of reloading are best measured in mere pennies, don't forget to add in all those little pennies spent on gas driving all over town trying to find those elusive shotshells, those $7 to $9 boxes quickly become $10 to $12 boxes when you add in a few dollars in gas. And for those who need to place a value on every minute of time they are awake, don't forget to toss in the hour or two worth of pennies spent driving around searching.

Doesn't anyone reload for the enjoyment of it anymore? I've been reloading for many years and haven't found it tedious or boring yet.

Which powder is a good replacement for Winchester AA lite?

Some reloaders use Hodgdon Clays loaded below published minimums. Alliant's Extra-Lite can be used for low-recoil loads (7/8 oz lead @ 1150 fps). Some load it below published minimums too. I use Extra-Lite at the published minimum for myself and buy AA low noise/low recoil shells for my wife.

Every year Winchester does a rebate on AA shells, $2 a box. So every year when the rebate starts, I call Cowboy Shooters Supply and have them bring 5 cases of shells to EoT, thats 1250 rounds, 50 boxes. This year they were $85 a case or $425. The $100 rebate made it $325 for a year's supply of shot shells. No running around or reloading. Yes, you have to cut the USPC label off of each box and mail them to Winchester but that took me a total of 15 minutes. The rebate is a great program and I will be sad when it goes away. BTW Cowboy Shooters Supply are some of the best venders I have ever dealt with.

JFN

AA LNLR is 10 bucks a box in Fairbanks when I can find them. I have a 7/8 oz, Claybuster, Red Dot combo that loads in the AA hull that is just as nice to shoot. Cost is pennies under 5 bucks a box. I use the hulls about three times for compition and a few more times for practase. This load is from a card inside the Claybuster bag so I guess it is published.

Yeah, I just buy them when they go on sale for a reasonable price. My recent 3 cases came from Gander Mountain in August, who was having a sale, plus their "standard discount code" (GMT5 IIRC) saved me another $25, plus they were offering a $15 GM gift card per case. There was an "additional shipping cost" ($15) since these are heavy, but otherwise free shipping and no sales tax. Netted out to $7.16/box and I'll use the gift cards for .22 LR ammo as they seem to get a lot and most times now seem to charge 5-6 cents-per-round.

I figure that one of our monthly matches requires just over a box of shells, or about $7.50 worth of shotgun ammo ($15 when the wife also shoots the match), and I'm fine with that.

And it is worth it to me to allow me to focus on my metallic reloading.

But then again I do have an inexpensive Lee shotgun shell press and all necessary components to start reloading shotgun shells, just in case. One never knows what stunt the idiot CA politicians will try to pull next...

Biggest savings result from using reclaimed lead shot from skeet/trap ranges.

Silver Dollar Trap and Skeet in Odessa, Florida sells 25lb bags for $29 and seems to always have it in stock. Most of the shot is #8 and #9, some #7.5, about 20% will have some deformation. Bass Pro price for #7.5 is $58 per bag.

I pattern all new loads and the reclaimed shot shows about 10% thinner pattern than new #7.5 at 15yds.

I shoot the reclaimed lead loads in practice and monthly matches and the new #7.5 loads in major matches.

I tested my reclaimed loads by intentionally aiming off target. At 1.5x the diameter of the KD to the left or right at 15yds I was getting 50% hits. At 1x the diameter of the KD, left or right, at 15yds I was getting 90% hits. With the edge of my extra large front sight touching the edge of the KD, left or right, I was getting 100% hits.

All loads are 7/8oz with BP under square in AA hulls.

Just sayin'

Amarillo Rattler

A few years ago when any powder was hard to find I found some Green Dot on the shelf at one local store. I use a Claybuster 7/8oz wad and there's no published load for that powder and wad combo. So, I started experimenting. I have a friend that lives in the mountains where he can shoot when he wants to. I worked up a load that he said was almost identical to the Clay's load he uses; which is very close to the LRLN Winchester factory loads. I've been using Green Dot ever since.

I forgot to add I use reclaimed shot exclusively. New shot is running $39.99- $44.99 for 25 lbs. Reclaimed has been running $25 for 25 lbs, cleaned and graphited.

A few years ago when any powder was hard to find I found some Green Dot on the shelf at one local store. I use a Claybuster 7/8oz wad and there's no published load for that powder and wad combo. So, I started experimenting. I have a friend that lives in the mountains where he can shoot when he wants to. I worked up a load that he said was almost identical to the Clay's load he uses; which is very close to the LRLN Winchester factory loads. I've been using Green Dot ever since.

Green Dot works darn well in 45 Colt also.

Griz do you have the data for reproducing lrln Remington sts rounds if so would you mind sharing it with me. Pm me and I'll give you my email. I shoot aa lrln because I can buy them buy I prefer reloading sts shells using the sts/nitro wad. All my shot she'll cases are Remington. I give away the aa

The wife and I have had good luck with RedDot, and 1 oz. of 7.5 and a pink ClayBusters wad. Some of the guys run 3/4 of 7.5 with a very light load, but sometimes they leave a knockdown standing with a solid hit.

I also like the STS hulls a little better than the AAs.

I'm gonna basically say the same as others here. If you do a good job of shopping and buy a case or more at a time, then reloading might save you $1.50/box. If you buy a box or two at a time it will save you more. Also, if you get some really good deals on Primers and reclaimed shot, get your hulls out of the trash or from a shooter who doesn't reload... you can squeak out a little more savings. If you are loading for two shooters that can add up indeed.. or if you shoot a LOT. Just one shooter for a match a month or so... it is simply not worth the effort unless you are shooting Black Powder... then it is a must.

The single biggest reason is that I can produce a very light load that my wife likes, and knocks down everything. I use the square root of a gross of Alliant Extra Lite powder with a 3/4 oz Clay Buster Wads in any Remington hull. Works OK in the AA hull too, but I prefer even the Gun Club hulls to the newer type AA hulls.

Just bought nice, used Meg 9000 G, and I LOVE IT. Had nothing but problems using my Grabber... but that came from constantly changing it back and forth using different components and powders. I now have each loader set up for ONE LOAD, then mounted them on a 3/4" plywood square... finished the edge with small rail to catch any errant powder/shot. used bolts and Wing Nuts to mount to the bench... now I just switch loaders when I want to change, and have no more problems. Life is good.

Snakebite

I save maybe $1.50-$2.00 a box but I like my reloads better than anything I've ever bought. I use Universal Clays, 1oz.of shot. If you get reclaimed shot and pick up once fired hulls you can save more. I also get some at the shoots from pards that don't reload. ;)

I bought LRLN AA's when I could find them over the past 5 years. I have about 2 cases left now. I use those for "Big" shoots and use the empties for reloading. There's several shooters that don't reload, so I get the empties from them sometimes. They tend to spread the empties around to different shooters. I like that system...everyone gets some. It's amazing how many people that do CAS don't reload. I can't begin to count the number of hulls I've dug out of the toss bucket by a ULT.

I use to buy once fired hulls off of Gunbroker for about 3-4 cents each (with shipping costs), but the sellers are getting proud of what they're selling now. I just checked and there's 3 listings for AA once fired hulls. They average about double at 6-71/2 cents each with shipping included. I have a stock of close to 1000 once fired hulls that I've collected from ULT buckets, my new shells and those that have been given to me. They'll last for quite a while. I get around 5-6 reloads out of each one. Some I know I've reloaded 8-9 times. Those are the International hulls; they seem to hold up better.

I check Walmart all the time and ask them to order 12GA-WinAA-LNLR. Eventually they get 3-4 cases in and the sporting goods manager calls me. They turn out to be $7.87 a box (+tax). If you buy between maybe March and the end of August, the Winchester AA Summer Rebate program is in effect and they'll send you back $2.00/box up to $100.00 per season.

The wife and I have had good luck with RedDot, and 1 oz. of 7.5 and a pink ClayBusters wad. Some of the guys run 3/4 of 7.5 with a very light load, but sometimes they leave a knockdown standing with a solid hit.

I also like the STS hulls a little better than the AAs.

similar to above mine is 7/8 oz claybuster and Red Dot. Mine are wimpy loads as main shoulder has been cut on twice--Doc said nothing left

$5 per box sounds about right

I reload AA hulls till I can see daylight through them

I got excited about the sport, went to see the Tennessee Mountain Marauders one Saturday with the family, and said 'We can do this!"

So I bought:

a Stoeger.410 coach gun for the kiddies,

a Chinese Model 97 12 gauge for the adults,

twin Uberti 1873 Cattleman revolvers in .357/.38 special for everybody,

a Rossi Mod 92 lever action in .357/38 special,

holsters

some small amounts of clothes because they were cool & my wife ROCKS cowboy....

and I'm STUCK like a smashed bug on the windshield because no place around here has 2 1/2 12 gauge shells!!! I'm going to the internet, finally, because I've been saying 'maybe this WalMart/Adventure Outdoors/LGS will have them. Nope nope nope nope nope.

I'm relieved to hear everybody has this issue; I was beginning to think north Georgia had dropped into the Twilight Zone.

Getting 250 rounds of RST Ultra Lite for $105 + $19 shipping.

I check Walmart all the time and ask them to order 12GA-WinAA-LNLR. Eventually they get 3-4 cases in and the sporting goods manager calls me. They turn out to be $7.87 a box (+tax). If you buy between maybe March and the end of August, the Winchester AA Summer Rebate program is in effect and they'll send you back $2.00/box up to $100.00 per season.

This is what I've been doing. I'm in Walmart often enough, so I usually check the sporting good aisle for them. But Walmart doesn't seem to be carrying the LNLR ammo any more here, at least I haven't seen any in about 6 months. Cost is under $6/box with the rebate.

Never go to Wally World haven't step foot in over two years. I get mine from cowboy shooting supply they deliver to WR and EOT i usually get a case or two

Re Dot works fine, when I shoot smokeless I use it for everything, never had an issue. I can load a Red Dot load almost identical to AA LNLR....

I got excited about the sport, went to see the Tennessee Mountain Marauders one Saturday with the family, and said 'We can do this!"

So I bought:

a Stoeger.410 coach gun for the kiddies,

a Chinese Model 97 12 gauge for the adults,

twin Uberti 1873 Cattleman revolvers in .357/.38 special for everybody,

a Rossi Mod 92 lever action in .357/38 special,

holsters

some small amounts of clothes because they were cool & my wife ROCKS cowboy....

and I'm STUCK like a smashed bug on the windshield because no place around here has 2 1/2 12 gauge shells!!! I'm going to the internet, finally, because I've been saying 'maybe this WalMart/Adventure Outdoors/LGS will have them. Nope nope nope nope nope.

I'm relieved to hear everybody has this issue; I was beginning to think north Georgia had dropped into the Twilight Zone.

Getting 250 rounds of RST Ultra Lite for $105 + $19 shipping.

You probably won't find 2 1/2" shells on the shelf in too many place. Stick with 2 3/4". A much better selection of low recoil loads available anyway.

Our Wally World here doesn't stock LRLN shells either. About all I see on the shelves here is hunting and 1 1/8oz and higher. I haven't seen any on the shelves for a couple of years. Scheel's does stock and can order as many cases as you want of them (pre-pay) and they're usually here in less than a week. The Wally World in Helena stocks LRLN AA's and quite a bit of reloading supplies. The Dept. manager is a hunter. That's a 97 mile trip for me each way.

I bought all the low noise low/recoil AAs that appeared in the two Wally Worlds in my county this summer. I also found a few cases at Sportsmans Warehouse and bought them using discount coupons I got in my shooters packets at major matches. I got my rebate check this week. My wife is well-stocked with her favorite smokeless shells and I don't have to pull the handle of my shotgun press for her except for smoky loads.

Ventura Slim, SASS #35690, on 08 Oct 2016 - 8:17 PM, said:

factoring in the fixed costs of the reloader etc gives me a headache

It can be a savings or not depending on how many shoots and shooters you're reloading for. I bought my MEC9000 when I couldn't find LRLN shells anywhere. I was able to get the components so loading for 2 of us worked out. Back then (when the stores had them) the LRLN shells were going for $9.99 a box. I figure it took me about 4-5 years to pay off the reloader. The upside is I get what I want in a SG load and when Winchester decides to bump the price up again, I'm covered.

One of the best powders available to SASS/CAS re-loaders is Accurate Nitro 100. May not be available everywhere, but for those who can get it locally, it is better suited for SASS/CAS loads, (both metallic and shotshell) than most powders being used by the average re-loader.

It is a very fast burning, Double Base, small flake powder, that meters very consistently in all loading presses and measures. Does extremely well in the low pressure/low velocity loads we use in CAS. Also works extremely well in the duplication of Low noise/low recoil shotshells. Simply nothing not to like about the powder.

RBK

If your starting for scratch and only shoot a box or two a month on average it isn't worth it plan a head and buy during the summer rebate period by the case, it will be cheaper. Now if your going through ten boxes a month it might warrant a MEC more than twice that I'd look at the Dillon.

Archived