SASS Wire Forum

Shooter starting position

owen judice

I can see that I taught you well. That is exactly how I would do it. To the guy who will get upset over someone being gamey, it doesn't appear as gamey, but it is indeed gamey...er. :)/>/>

Buck, I've never known you to be gamey, except, maybe, on a hot, humid day.

If ya don't want them to start with there back to the safe.

Then write it in.

If I am at the bank.. I am NOT going to turn my back to the door out all the way.

While I am getting the money. BUT, I am also ready to get the H*&^ out of Dodge.

I will be standing kind of sideways so I can do both. Get the money, while keeping

a look out and ready to get the heck out of there.

Guess you all have not been robbing many banks lately.

And if you did not have your back to the door. Maybe you would have seen that Law Dog coming. :ph34r:/>/>

You sound like you are speaking from experience AA.

Are you really a closet bank robber?

Fess up !

No problem. If I was writing the instructions differently. I would write, shooter at starting position, (which would be doorway, without writing "doorway", doorway is just a starting point in the stage), then I would expect the SASS starting position to be taken. Or I would write it more thorough, Shooter starts by standing in doorway, not touching any firearms, hands on door frame. But just given a starting location, (doorway), I would give shooter leeway in anything he/she would consider. Just my thought and how I've written. I like to give shooter leeway and allow them to make each stage unique.

One thing, we all learn, and we all see different approaches at different matches. I like given shooters choices and different perpective of a match. Making stages more exciting and unique, rather then writen in stone.

;) You had it right the 1st time if you just put a location "shooter starts in doorway " than Sass convention applies(hands at sides),if you write "start standing in doorway" shooter has fulfilled body postion obligation so can do whatever with hands,many folks dont know this including berm marshals & posse marshals so I like to put it out there when I can.

Me personally when I write stages I almost always put hands positions,I've tried to get SASS to change wording in rule book to say if "no hand position is given than shooter will start with hands at sides" because alot of folks think thats the rule but it is not.BJT enlightened alot of us on the wire a few years ago with this subject.

AO

We have a nice jail cell. We used to sometimes have to start sitting on the bunk with the cell door locked. At the beep get up, get the broom, use it to snag the keys, let yerself out, run over and bonk the sleeping deputy on the noggin before grabbing guns out of gun rack. Gamey folks killed that. They would whine now if we wrote it in off the clock. We cain't have no more goofy stuff no mo. Dashdangit...

Probly couldn't even locate the keys anymore.

AKA the good old days.

The Nevada Rangers had a jail cell they used at Stampede. There was a hole in the cell door that accommodated a clay pigeon, around about where the lock would be. First thing you had to do was shoot out the lock with a pistol. I loved it.

wink.gif You had it right the 1st time if you just put a location "shooter starts in doorway " than Sass convention applies(hands at sides),if you write "start standing in doorway" shooter has fulfilled body postion obligation so can do whatever with hands,many folks dont know this including berm marshals & posse marshals so I like to put it out there when I can.

Me personally when I write stages I almost always put hands positions,I've tried to get SASS to change wording in rule book to say if "no hand position is given than shooter will start with hands at sides" because alot of folks think thats the rule but it is not.BJT enlightened alot of us on the wire a few years ago with this subject.

AO

When writing the stage, just go ahead and say where you want the shooters hands to be. If it doesn't matter to the writer, then just state hands can be anywhere. As everyone can see in just the last few post, there is confusion and if we were on different posses at a bigger match, then people would be started with hands in a multiple different positions. Leading to possible penalties or possible hard feelings with people believing they did not get an even shake. There is an advantage if starting with hand(s) on pistols/longgun and having hands straight down.

Yes, TO's/RO's should know better, but on this topic, majority don't.

Edit. I still believe that 'start standing in doorway' is an incomplete 'starting position' statement.. Still need to know what to do with hands. But that is me and after rereading the Convention and what all you folks have said. I believe that if hand position is not stated then the default is straight down and that is why the Convention item was included in the rule book,.

Edit edit: So AO, we pretty much agree, but not quite totally agree. LOL.

I was at a shoot once where the starting position was "with back to the targets." Pard drew pistols and swept the posse as he turned to the targets. (yes, he did get a MDQ, and the starting position was changed to "facing targets.") I would never write a stage where the shooter wasn't facing down range.

And that guy was trusted to drive there.........

Edit. I still believe that 'start standing in doorway' is an incomplete 'starting position' statement.. Still need to know what to do with hands. But that is me and after rereading the Convention and what all you folks have said. I believe that if hand position is not stated then the default is straight down and that is why the Convention item was included in the rule book,.

Edit edit: So AO, we pretty much agree, but not quite totally agree. LOL.

If you ask PWB he will tell you that "standing" in the doorway is a "starting" position.......

"Start in the doorway" = standing in the doorway fully erect hands by side.....unless someone can figure out how to be fully erect as a person and not be standing.....

"Start standing in the doorway" = standing in the doorway and the shooters choice on what to do with the hands.....within the rules and the remaining stage instructions

You can either choose to accept that as the rule or continue to disagree and be incorrect..........

Stan......who finally chose to accept it as the rule and quit disagreeing with it because he was wrong according to the rule makers.

Archived