SASS Wire Forum
The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. A bit of a confusing question, IMHO. Here are my $0.02 worth of opinion. I have a few 44-40s, none are 427 so I use a 429 bullet. As a general rule, the necks of most 44-40 chambers will only accommodate bullets up to and including 429. Just for reliability and ease of reloading with regular tools and components, if you don't have any 427 guns, load with 429 bullets. A coated bullet will tolerate being undersize, by a wee bit. How I like to view the bullet size theory of operation is to look at the cross sectional area of the bullet and how it compares to the cross sectional area of the hole in the barrel. IMHO and analyzing my own experience, I believe this concept has merit. It takes into considerations of the bore size, the number and depth of the groove (groove diameter) and gives you a minimum usable diameter. This does apply to cowboy loads which, for the most part, are around typical black powder pressures and velocities lower than cast bullet hunting or non cowboy loads. I'll give an example: The SAAMI spec for minimum bore and groove area for a 44-40 is 0.1426 sq. in. and a 0.4261 diameter bullet has that same area. Now you have to take into account that a Ruger 44-40 likely is using a deep groove barrel with a smaller bore than a spec 44-40 barrel. The area for a min spec 44 Mag is less at 0.1405 sq. in. The area of a 0.429 bullet is 0.1445 sq. in. There are more factors that come into play, but theoretically speaking, if the bullet were fluid enough it would fill or be reshaped to fill the bore groove area if the bullet area were equal to the barrels bore and groove area. But the bullet is not fluid enough, as most cowboy bullets are in and around about a BHN of 14. Powder coated bullets have a surface hardness of about 16 to 18 BHN. The coating increases the bullets ability to resist skidding. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a coated bullet is not nearly as fussy as a sized and lubed bullet. it will tolerate what a fair bit of abuse. In my firearms, of which all have at least a 429 groove diameter, the soft lead 427 dia Winchester 225 ammo fails. 429 diameter harder cast bullets are OK. Therefore I'd say that a 429 diameter coated bullet should work well, and in addition I'd recommend sizing the bullets to ensure uniformity. I just use a LEE bullet sizer, either type, and haven't noticed any issues. Makes the bullets cylindrical and the shanks smooth. BB
  3. Bullets can be sized down about as far as you want to go. I have sized .457 to .452, just takes a little more effort. Unless ya go one of them that's older than that with a larger diameter fp extension. kR
  4. Here in The Republic, we have plenty of Sun--free, too. If I wet tumble too late in the day the brass comes inside under a ceiling fan for the night. have plenty of brass so don't need to use the wet ones in a hurry
  5. Well gosh all fish hooks! (Been reading Barks again...) When these things first came out, I REALLY wanted one in .44 Special for various reasons. But, I could not find one in that caliber and had to settle for .45 Colt. I am jealous! But, here's the ironic thing... I have the reproduction American and Schofield in .45. I have real New Model 3's in .44-40 and .38-44. I don't have a Russian. But, you can get the reproduction in .45 Colt, as well as the Beretta Laramie in that caliber as well. I never intended to do it, but I have a very faint itch to get all four repro's in that same caliber.
  6. Actually, it is Oklahoma Gun Leather, a division of Don Hume holsters. They are their "deluxe California Slim Jims, and run about $45 each! They fit everything from Schofield, aAmericans, Vaqueros, Colt, Open tops.!
  7. The way I was taught to test a loaf of bread for doneness is to knock on its bottom, it should sound hollow, or tip it out of the pan and stick a thermometer into the bottom, it should be at least 190F. I often just stab it in the top.
  8. Today
  9. I want you two ,to please try and get along Or no more NANNA SPLITS.
  10. Practicing fast did not seem to help me when I was young and dating.
  11. Don’t you mean “V-ger”? That is truly amazing. 15B miles. That’s 600,000 trips around Earth at the surface.
  12. Time to buy a daily 3 lotto ticket…
  13. Don't have to input a code or pattern they can't make you self incriminate, but biometrics are assumed to be taken upon arrest so some states allow the coo to press your phone against your thumb to unlock. Or show it your face
  14. Wouldn't that be more of a nightmare shower than a dream shower?
  15. Dang me, dang me They oughta take a rope and hang me High from the highest tree Woman, would you weep for me?
  16. I think he's jealous of your shooting abilities. And, he still thinks he sings like Elvis. ..........Widder
  17. Howdy Sleepy Floyd If the 18-inch rifle is still available, I will take it. Sent you a Pm. Thanks Buckey
  18. Flip phone nothing to see.... Texas Lizard
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.