SASS Wire Forum
The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Guardians, (Indians) beat the A's 8-0! It helps that the A's are the worst team in baseball, at least last year they were!
  3. Has anyone tried these supposedly fresh meals like Home Fresh, Blue Apron, Home Chef etc.?? I see all kinds of ads and commercials for them. Just curious! Thanks, Rye
  4. Took my driver's test on one!!
  5. Pretty sure Rinse Aid is not citric acid.
  6. Yep. I didva copy and paste ofbit in another forum and it pasted as "may show an image of a submarine." Class and type Cleveland-class light cruiser Displacement Standard: 11,744 long tons (11,932 t) Full load: 14,131 long tons (14,358 t) Length 610 ft 1 in (185.95 m) Beam 66 ft 4 in (20.22 m) Draft 24 ft 6 in (7.47 m) Installed power 4 × Babcock & Wilcox boilers 100,000 shp (75,000 kW) Propulsion 4 × steam turbines 4 × screw propellers Speed 32.5 knots (60.2 km/h; 37.4 mph) Range 11,000 nmi (20,000 km; 13,000 mi) at 15 kn (28 km/h; 17 mph) Complement 1,285 officers and enlisted Armament 12 × 6 in (152 mm) Mark 16 guns 12 × 5 in (127 mm)/38 caliber guns 24 × 40 mm (1.6 in) Bofors anti-aircraft guns 21 × 20 mm (0.79 in) Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns Armor Belt: 3.5–5 in (89–127 mm) Deck: 2 in (51 mm) Barbettes: 6 in (152 mm) Turrets: 6 in (152 mm) Conning Tower: 5 in (127 mm) Aircraft carried 4 × floatplanes Aviation facilities 2 × stern catapults
  7. Selling a savage 99 takedown 22 hi power. Mechanically it’s in pretty good shape and shoots quite well, cosmetically not great. Stock has a leather but pad made for it. Could use a good restoration or just use it as is. Shoot’s great and selling at a “shooter” price for $400 shipped PPFF Venmo, or Zelle
  8. I was watching a video on the Navy’s swim calls. There was a line…. ”During WW II before safety was invented…”
  9. ARE YOU AN ANGEL? “Grampa?” An old man snorted and blew as he scrubbed his face with a double handful of good cold freshly pumped wellwater. A little boy cocked his head and regarded his ol’ Granddad curiously. The old man, as was his habit, was stripped to the waist before he washed up: like most men of his vintage, he was lean, his skeleton could be seen – most of it, at least – the result of a hard life and hard work and many years. He reached up, pulled down a flour sack towel, rubbed wet arms and his wet face, briskly scrubbing water from his ancient hide, looked at his grandson. “Eh?” “Grampa, how come your ribs is funny?” the boy asked, pointing. “Hah? Them?” The old man approached his grandson, sat down on a handy sawed chunk. “You mean here?” The little boy traced careful fingertips down the irregularities, nodded, his eyes wide and solemn. “Does it hurt, Grampa?” “Sure as thunder did,” the old man grunted. “What happened?” The old man snorted, coughed, laughed and coughed again, spat. “I was young oncet,” he said. “Warn’t that long ago, neither. Hold old are you, boy?” “I’m five, Grampa.” “I used to be five,” the old man said thoughtfully. “Built me a cabin, too.” “You built a cabin when you were five?” “Oh, ya. I was about your size too.” “Grampa,” the lad said skeptically, “ya did not!” The old man frowned, hawked, spat, rubbed his stubbled chin. “Well, hell, maybe I was a little older,” he said, “but I near to kilt myself buildin’ it!” He’d laid out how he wanted to notch the logs, and notch them he did. He’d cut them to a uniform length. John Noble was a young man and John Noble was an exacting man, and John Noble knew whoever looked at what he built, would judge him by the skill of his work, and he, John Noble, was not about to do anything but first rate work! He’d sawed his logs to a uniform length. He’d laid stone for the foundation, rather than lay logs directly on dirt: most cabins were quick and dirty in their construction, built in a hurry to beat the cold weather: John laid out where he wanted the cabin set, he leveled the ground, what little had to be leveled off, he set his stones where he wanted them. He was better than a fair hand with an adz, and God be praised he had one: he’d made trade for tools, he’d found or scrounged or bought others: he drilled holes, cut pegs, tapped in the wooden stays that would hold his logs tight. John worked as young men work – steadily, mightily, putting the lean cords of muscle and sinew against the weight of fragrant timber. He’d cut skids and he’d used his mule and good hemp rope to skid timbers, cut flat on the bottom and on the top, he’d set them tight atop one another, he eased one heavy timber after another up the skids and to the top of the walls he was raising. He was doing well for one man working alone, until one of the skids kicked out and the timber came down on top of him. Sheriff Linn Keller knew there was a cabin being built, and he knew roughly where, and frankly he was curious to take a look at it. When he came in sight of the cabin, his stallion surged forward into a gallop. “There I was, a-layin’ under attair log,” his Granddad said in his old man’s voice, “and damned if this-yere fella didn’t come just a-gallopin’ up on an honest to God Appaloosa stallion.” “A stallion?” his grandson asked in a awe-struck voice. “Damn right, a stallion,” his Granddad nodded. “Know how t’ tell an honest to God Appaloosa stallion?” His grandson shook his curly-haired head. The old man raised a clawed hand up in front of his mouth, two fingers extended, curled a little. “They got fangs, they do, an’ they eat bears an’ bull elks f’r breakfast!” The old man winked and the boy grinned uncertainly – his Granddad didn’t always tell things the way they really were, but he was his Granddad and he was old and that meant he was really smart and maybe stallions really did eat bears an’ bull elks! “Anyway when attair log come down atop of me, why, one end hit a rock ‘r it would’ve mashed me flat an’ kilt me t’ boot!” “Grampa,” the boy said softly, “I’m awful glad it didn’t!” The old man leaned closer, screwed one eye shut: “Me too, sonny, me too!” Linn set a chunk on the rock the high end of the log was resting on. He tucked his backside, gripped the timber, took a long breath, took another, gritted his teeth. He brought the log up and over and on top of the chunk he’d just set there. It seemed steady enough – Linn grabbed another chunk, set in beside it – he went around, ran his arms under the injured man, pulled him out from under. Linn knew he hurt the man, pulling him like that, but he knew he had to get him out, get the timber off him. He didn’t know what else to do for the man. “Oh it hurt, all right,” the old man said thoughtfully. “It hurt like two hells and a sledgehammer, but y’know what?” “What, Grampa?” the boy breathed. “I’m alive t’ complain about it. Y’know why?” “Why, Grampa?” The old man leaned closer again, looked very directly at his grandson, his expression suddenly, humorlessly, stonefaced, serious. “There’s angels in this world, boy,” he said, “an’ one of ‘em rode that Appaloosa stallion.” “Really?” the boy asked in a marveling voice. The old man nodded. “You c’n tell,” he said, “there’s white about an angel, boy, and this one … when I looked up I seen them white eyes an’ that’s how I knew.” He nodded again, his own eyes growing distant, seeing the memory again. “I likely passed out, must’ve. Come to an’ there was folks tendin’ me. Found out ‘twas an honest t’ God surgeon workin’ on me. His boy’s the doc over’n Firelands.” “Dad?” a woman’s voice called. “Coming?” The old man sighed, stood, hung the flour sack towel back on its peg. “Help me back int’ m’ Union suit, sonny, yer Mama wants t’ eat.” A new student, a new school year, and Miz Sarah was greeting each one personally, as she always did. One little boy, shy the way new students often are, had trouble raising his eyes from the floor. When he did, when Miz Saran bent over and asked gently, “And what is your name?” he looked at her – his eyes grew big, startled, his mouth opened into an absolutely surprised O – “My name is Sarah,” she said. “Do I know you?” He swallowed, blinked, looked left, looked right, blinked again, and then he whispered, “Are you an angel?” Miz Sarah smiled, just a little: she went down on her knees, rested her hands gently on his young shoulders, drew him closer, laid her cheek against his and whispered, so only he could hear: “Nobody else knows,” she said, her sibilants tickling the fine hairs on his pink-scrubbed young ear: she drew back, smiled gently. “Our secret?” A big-eyed little boy nodded, awe struck. In his young mind, a promise was a promise. An angel asked him to keep their secret. When he was a little boy, his Granddad told him about seeing an angel, and how to recognize one. When he became a Granddad, he told his young grandson about his Granddad, and how he’d seen an angel, and he told his young grandson about the angel he met when he first started school. A little boy came home from school, his eyes shining with excitement. His mother recognized the signs, and smiled quietly as she set a saucer in front of him with his usual after-school peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich. He usually devoured his snack, then ran outside to play: she watched him eat slowly, thoughtfully, completely at odds with the contained excitement in his eyes. His Mama sat down, tilted her head a little, studied her son. “Did something happen today?” she asked quietly. He nodded. “Can you tell me about it?” He blinked rapidly, nodded. “Mama, they sent an angel to Mars today!” he whispered, his eyes big and sincere. “An angel?” she asked. He nodded. “She looks just like us, Mama, but Grampa told me what to look for!” Later that night, on the evening news, the split-screen portraits of Marnie Keller and Dr. John Greenlees Jr were shown: the local station was making much of the local folk chosen for this second Martian launch, the big colony ship that would absolutely establish a long-term human presence on another planet. “There she is, Mama! Do you see it?” “See what, Bobby?” He pointed, his voice as excited as his expression: “Grampa told me what to look for! Right there, Mama! See it?” His Mama looked at the TV screen, and the formal portrait of the pale-eyed Deputy Sheriff Marnie Keller looked back at her. “She’s an angel,” a little boy’s voice breathed.
  10. Did that years ago, but thanks for the reminder.
  11. Saw an old sailor do something similar in mall in California almost fifteen years go. Three kids were being obnoxious and loud and the old man asked them to tone it down. One kid shoved him and the old man caught the ring and led him to an escalator where he suggested the youngster leave. The boy's friends followed them and when they saw a half dozen of us crusty old farts following them they were pretty mild and left.
  12. Some news on the debris removal. Baltimore bridge collapse: Governor details plan to remove bridge and help affected (bbc.com)
  13. Today
  14. It’s gotta be hard to pick your nose with a ring in it!
  15. The first time that my mom saw my tattoo all she said was "Why?" That's what I want to ask a lot of kids when I see their "jewelry". BS
  16. 2 days and nothing you've seen has happenned. Likely the emergency response teams arrived set up an HQ and started delegating reposibility. Taking into consideration the dangerous environment, the probability of structural collapse as removal occurs, they are going to need to survey and figure out how to even get started. Did you just expect a bunch of boats with cutting torches to show up?
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.