SASS Wire Forum
The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Looking to see if anyone might have a used butt stock for this rifle. Mine has been cut down and would like one a little longer length of pull. Not wanting to spend a lot of money on a new one. The more beat up and cheaper , the better. Thanks
  3. I doubt it. Think about it, the press never removes the dimple from any primer that gets punched out completely, so why would it remove the dimple from one that was only partially punched out? And I don't know about the 650, but on my 550 a primer that is only pushed partially out (or a new one partially seated) will not allow the shell plate to turn.
  4. What a Young Man Should Know, 1933. A checklist for becoming a proper man. This was published in the March 1933 issue of Harper’s Magazine. The writer, Robert Littell, details the abilities, skills, accomplishments, and extra-curricular proficiencies that every man should have if they are to become a self-sufficient and well-rounded human being, ready for life, and eventually, marriage and raising their own children. The learning starts from a very young age. Here is the (short) list: 1. He should know how to swim at least a mile, dive creditably, and not feel panicky under water. He should be able also to revive those less skilful than himself by rolling them on a barrel and pumping their helpless arms. 2. He should be able to drive an automobile well. And he should not be altogether helpless when a car breaks down. He must know how to change a tire and offer some sort of diagnosis when the engine sputters and dies. 3. He ought to know how to clean, load, and shoot a revolver or a rifle. 4. As for self-defense, a man should certainly be able to take care of himself in a scrap. He need not learn jujitsu — old-fashioned boxing will be enough. 5. He ought to know the rudiments of camping, how to build a fire, how to chop wood, how to take a cinder out of his eye, how to deal with a severed artery, how to doctor himself for ordinary ailments. 6. He should also be able to take care of other people in emergencies, to apply first aid, set a broken bone, revive a drunk or a victim of gas, deal with a fainting fit, administer the right emetic or antidote for a case of poisoning. 7. And he should be able to feed himself, to cook, not only because some day he may need to, but because cooking is one of the fine arts, and a source of infinite pleasure. He should be able to scramble eggs, brew coffee, broil a steak, dress a salad, carve a chicken, and produce, on occasion, one first-class dish, such as onion soup. The more he can do, in these days of the delicatessen store and the kitchenette, the better. It is not effeminate, it is not beyond him, and the best chefs are all men. 8. He should know how to use paint brushes, a saw, a hammer, and other common tools. 9. He should also have a beautiful and distinguished handwriting. But the bulk of his writing, particularly if he is a professional man who has much of it to do, should be done on a typewriter, capable of turning out three thousand words an hour. 10. He should play one outdoor game well, and have a workable smattering of several more. An American who cannot throw and catch a ball seems pathetic and grotesque. 11. The bicycle has gone, yet every young man should know how to ride one. 12. He should also be able to skate, sail a boat, and handle a canoe passably. 13. Fishing is a specialty, like chess. 14. Walking is a noble but neglected sport. Americans “hike” once in a long while but seldom walk. 15. He should know a great deal about animals and how to take care of them. 16. He should know how to ride a horse. 17. He should learn how to stay in a saddle with pleasure to himself and a minimum of annoyance to his mount. 18. He should learn how to dance. 19. He should know to play at least one card game. 20. He must have knowledge of how to tip naturally, justly, without fear and without reproach. 21. On the matter of alcohol, he should learn his capacity and stick within its limits; he should know something about the different kinds of drink, and which drinks produce chaos within him when mixed. 22. Where s:x is concerned, nature clearly intended us to make many mistakes in her hope that some of them would be productive. 23. He should know the rudiments of gambling. But gambling might be placed on the same plane as drink — the less use one has for it the better. 24. Higher than almost any other accomplishment on the list is knowing music. There is no reason why any young man who is not absolutely tone-deaf should not learn how to play one musical instrument well enough for it to be a self-resource and a tolerable pleasure to others. 25. A civilized man should know how to read. The ability to read, or rather the habit of reading, is very rare even among intelligent people, and has to be taught and kept up if it is not to become rusty. 26. He should have knowledge of at least one foreign language. French or German preferably both. German children learn an amazingly good brand of English without ever crossing their borders. Why can’t we? For one thing, we don’t really want to. Yet we should. An American who knows only English is blind in one eye. 27. He should know to travel well, efficiently, without fuss or complaint. 28. A young man should be able to express himself clearly before a crowd of strangers, without shyness, muddle, or a pathetic resort to “so much has been said and well said” or “I did not expect to be called on.” 29. The American adult can get to his feet, propose a toast, introduce a stranger, voice a civic protest, heckle a windbag politician, and give utterance to an unembarrassed thought. 30. A a man should command the elementary tool of written language, and be able to put simple things on paper in clear words. 31. He should have a good workable understanding of the structure of business, investments, and banks. 32. Let every educated man, as a necessary part of his education, be thrown into the muddy stream of American industry and see what it is like to swim alone on daily wages. 33. He should before reaching twenty-two have done something because he wanted to, whether other people wanted him to do it or not. 34. He should not acquire property unless he needs it. Insensitiveness to his personal property, unless of course it is extraordinarily beautiful, is a desirable skill for any man to have; It must be learned and worked at. 35. Unusual though this young man may be, he should not seem so. Is not a parent’s basic ambition for his child that he be very different from other people, yet manage to seem almost exactly like them? — What do you think? Doable or unreasonable? And now that you know what is expected of women in the 1930s, is it fair? #1930s #1930sstyle #vintagehistory #historylovers #historyfacts #vintageaesthetic #didyouknowfacts #howtobeaman
  5. My wife started this some long time ago with intent to have it finished by my birthday. It's a little late but I am sitting here just plainly devouring it with my eyes! She ordered a plastic model and spent an unholy amount of time and effort (and holding her breath!) to detail this to her satisfaction!
  6. Interesting topic but I’m so bad even I don’t listen to anything I have to say
  7. How true. What I'm seeing at these campuses, the type of flags being carried and support for an enemy, I think about what happened in Germany in the 30s and no one complained.
  8. I'm trying to comprehend what you mean by being more specific when writing a stage. To me, I'm hearing "tell me exactly which target to shoot exactly when so everybody has to engage it the same exact way". I've shot matches (single and multi-day events) where every stage scenario dictated exactly which guns were to be shot in a specific order and which targets were to be engaged in a specific order. Even when I felt a stage lay-out would allow me to be a little smoother/faster if I could shoot it differently, there was no shooters choice. I prefer to have choices. Yes, that can make spotting more difficult. I've seen more than spotter ask to be relieved when a really fast gunfighter comes to the line. There's no disgrace in that. When the shooting's over, if you can't verbalize where a miss or a procedural happens, it's a hit.
  9. SHB V27.4 states on p.14 that 'Leaving unfired rounds in a revolver is a Miss penalty.' Probably, that rule was meant to address overloaded revolvers, but it's written as it is. And an unfired round is still unfired if you attempted to fire it. However, later on p.21 and p.27, the word 'inadvertently' is added to the context which changes a lot. Someone should just add 'inadvertently' on p.14 and everything would be unequivocal
  10. Not intending to be snarky or directing the comment/question directly at you. As I've said before, people say "bad stage writing" and that's the only comment. There's no further clarification on how the person commentating would write it to be more clear "to them". At the bigger matches that I've been to and the shooter's books from one's I haven't, the trend seems to be more brevity in stage instructions allowing for more shooters choices. Stage instructions can't be written to include every detail for every shooter and most of the people I shoot with like having different ways to engage the targets.
  11. Dang, it really really pains me to say it but this one time, and only one time, in this particular instance.....gulp "Scarlet is right."
  12. "Brand New" as in "never fired", or as in "just picked". I would be interested in some once-fired but not processed 38spl brass if the price is more attractive. I can deprime and wash myself.
  13. I’ll fix you up! Working on your other projects now. I’ll include them unless you need them sooner.
  14. Today
  15. No reason to call malfunction or ground gun IMO. The hammer will be down on a spent round after firing the cartridge you loaded to replace the dud. If the “ bad primer” hasn’t gone off after a couple go- arounds, it’s clearly a dud. As has already been mentioned, the time factor at this point will likely be favoring just taking a miss versus the cycling, reload, etc in trying to correct the unfired round.
  16. Yeah, thinking about the Casull thing.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.