SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/2015/08/25/modern-armament/
  3. There are so many more interesting cartridges than just .45 and .38/.357. While the straight-walled cartridges, (don't forget .44!), are easiest to load, there is so much more available. Explore before buying. I saw one fellow post on another forum that he was into "historically correct", and was kicking himself for buying a rifle in .45
  4. Yep!!!! Let me know if anyone has one they would pass on!
  5. Y'all are missing the point... "Old Ironsides" is a symbol of American permanence. Still a commissioned warship at 222 years of age. Still well-maintained and seaworthy, still has a crew, still has her armament, but her purpose in life is now ceremonial: "Constitution's stated mission today is to promote understanding of the Navy's role in war and peace through educational outreach, historical demonstration, and active participation in public events...." A "BUFF" could could also fill such a role.
  6. Sounds like what you're looking for is one of these; a Uberti Richard-Mason Conversion Uberti Richard-Mason Conversion Ha! Too Tall beat me to the draw!
  7. Easiest solution - look for an 1851 Richards-Mason cartridge conversion revolver. Gives you exactly what you are looking for.
  8. Doesn't matter to me as long as it was done right
  9. I'm surprised that the State of Illinois doesn't kick them out! But then again, Illinois needs to have some companions for their ex-governors serving time in Joliet (or wherever).
  10. I use R-P brass for my smokeless .32-20's and either .312 or .313 115gr bullets. Lee dies with FCD. No turtling problem. Take a loaded round and push the round, bullet first, into a hard object. If it has a proper crimp the bullet should not push into the case. If it passes that test it should not collapse in the mag tube.
  11. Yes I do. I ship 65 pounds for$110. Or $35 a jug(25#) FTF.
  12. Naw! In the first place it would count against the number allowed according to the current Arms Limitation Treaties. Anyway, they have already reclaimed two (2) from the "bone yard" at Davis-Monthan. If those two are "reserectons", are the remaining ones down there "zombies"?
  13. Do you mean a factory conversion from Uberti or one that started as a Cap & Ball that has had a Conversion cylinder added?
  14. How would it become airborne and how would it be armed first?
  15. And we think the Gooney Bird's immortal. Wonder what the late Oscar Brand could come up with for new words for the song about the DC-3 as applied to the BUFF and maybe the Hawg? "They patch her up with masking tape, with paper clips and string, And still she flies, she never dies, Mathusilah with wings!"
  16. There should oughtta be a '52 maintained in flying condition parked next to the USS Constitution.
  17. Ah good point Dave! I don't care what the caliber is but I do want a one with a loading gate and ejector rod.
  18. We had a Junior shooter join us with his dad in the early 2000s. He got very ill and it affected his memory. He quit shooting CAS, as remembering the scenarios was problematic. His dad still shot so the son would come out and shoot at the range, trap mostly. I was always so glad to see him, as he was such a good kid Today, his dad posted, on FB, that his son just graduated from California State University, Fresno as a Second Lieutenant in the Army. Bravo Matt! I know this was a really special achievement.
  19. Hey Stopsign, a few more details might make it easier to find one. .36 or .44 caliber? Are you looking for a 1851 black powder pistol, that's been converted with a drop in cylinder? Or one that has been modified with a loading gate and ejector? Knowing these details will narrow your search down quite a bit. Hope you find what you're looking for.
  20. Which will be retired later, BUFF or Warthog?
  21. My opinion is you have increased the crimp pressure to the point the brass is too small and then rebounds back out to near uncrimped diameter. Try processing some clean, sized brass but no powder or bullet. After sizing the brass, run the brass up in to the crimp die (no bullet) and look at the crimp roll after removing from the die. Too much crimp will fatigue the brass and the brass will not hold pressure. The case crimp should roll over enough to catch the upper edge of the bullet crimp groove and barely dig in to the lead.
  22. What is the caliber of your bullet? For .32-20's I am running a 1st Gen Colt that started life as a .44-40 that someone rebarreled, don't know where or when, a 3rd Gen Colt, a Winchester 73, Winchester '92 and an antique Colt Lightning. In all of them I am running .313", 100 grain RNFP bullet. For brass I am using an eclectic mix of Remington, Winchester, Starline and whatever else I could find when I needed more. I have never paid attention to the length of the brass. As long as the crimp goes into the crimp groove, I've felt that I was doing fine. I did get a batch of used brass once that was noticeably shorter, the crimp was going into the top grease groove. After readjusting the dies a few times to accommodate this shorter stuff, I got irritated, set it aside, loaded it one last time, and did not recover that particular brass. I assume the previous owner had shortened it for some unknown reason. The first time I ever had any real trouble was when I discovered that the chambers on my 3rd gen Colt were much tighter than on the 1st gen and the Winchester. Sometimes rounds would fit, sometimes they would not. I was using Lee dies, using the third die to both seat and crimp the bullet. After much perplexation, I examined my cartridges, and I discovered that the ones that didn't fit had some very small flaws in the crimp. So, I added a Lee FCD to the mix, and I've never had the problem reoccur. But, you are using a FCD, so that's probably not the problem. When all is said and done, since you are not having any problem with your pistols or other rifles, I tend to think that the difficulty is in your rifle, and not the cartridges. But I am not sure. Even so, try physically comparing your cartridges that jam to those that don't. See if the jammers have anything about them that looks wrong. If it is the cartridges and not the gun itself, maybe you'll see a difference. How to correct it? Well... I like Lee dies, but I am hesitant to say that your dies don't like that particular brass. That doesn't make sense to me. Good luchk
  23. any one have or know of anyone who works on single trigger Remington shot guns?
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.