SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. QC, Classic Cowboy is definitely NOT the most common category. The most common categories are the simpler age-based categories that do not have extra holster or clothing requirements. Two-Handed (Traditional Style) is more common to see than Single-Handed (Duelist Style) shooting. Take some time to stroll through the handbook. No need to get anything fancy, at all. No need for "tooling". You already have one 5-1/2" barreled Ruger. To keep things simple, go with the same thing for your other gun. I try to keep the feel of both guns the same as much as possible. Especially since you are having a slight difficulty at the moment. As in any new endeavor, keep things as simple as possible for yourself until you get you "sea legs" under you.
  3. I’m dad purchased one for me ( I bought it) in 1961 when the suggested retail was $125 for $95. He new the chief of police and got it at his discount. Yes it has been shot and I killed a lot of ground squirrels with it. I missed a lot too but they definitely new they being shot at. One of my favorite revolvers.
  4. Your butt must be sore from kicking yourself. JHC
  5. My wife is born in Ridgway PA, and has family in Connellsville. Moving there will put her 3,000 miles away from her daughters when I drop dead.
  6. I am already looking for a Hawaiian Cowboy shirt.
  7. The only one I have is a late 70's Colt SAA. NIB with the original cellophane wrap and all the paperwork. Got it on a deal with a buddy of mine. His mom gave it to him. I promised to give him first shot if I ever decide to sell it. Box is dogged out from being dragged around so many years but the gun is still unfired. I've cocked it and dry fired it a few times. I figure if I want to shoot a .45 that bad I have plenty of Rugers. It has been tempting though. JHC
  8. Get a couple of used, banged-up, dirty boolits you can toss inside the ribcage.... Mebbe a rusty knife!
  9. So true. There at the end he kept opening and closing it. I was trying to see if the ejector star was coming up, but he was going too fast.
  10. I am very unfamiliar with operating the Lightning. I've only done so once, have since forgotten exactly what I did, but of course that piqued my interest in the Lightning so I now have further questions. At the loading table the protocol would be: Lightning is loaded with the action open/pump in rearward position. When loaded, close action and lower hammer. (Chamber is still empty at this point.) When ready to shoot rifle it would then be necessary to work the action to chamber a live round and commence blasting away. Since the action needs to be cycled to chamber the first round (now on the clock) how is this done? Is there a pump release button or does the act of pulling the trigger to drop the hammer at the loading table release the action/pump slide so all that is necessary is to pump the gun to load a round, similar to running a model 12 in WB? Thanks for any clarity.
  11. It was amazing and humbling. I have never received anything like it. Still in shock and not sure if my feet have touched the ground yet. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in this. As they say in the movie Tombstone, I aint got the words.
  12. Sue, Just label it Non-SASS and what it is in the title. So people know what it is, (of course). As long as you are a private seller, the guns are yours, and you are not an FFL Dealer, Importer or Manufacturer. Go for it! Eli
  13. Ah, well there is the rub. I am from Massachusetts. Can't buy one here, as they are not approved for sale. But, oddly enough, SBR's are not regulated in any way beyond NFA 34 rules. Since using an antique does not seem to carry any kind of an exemption, it would probably be better for me to use a modern made replica. I do know that antique Winchesters with short barrels are exempt from NFA 34 if they came that way from the factory, but was unsure of the rules for shortening the barrel on an antique with a longer one. All a thought experiment at the moment anyway. I have other gun projects higher on my to do list.
  14. The buckle is beautiful, but Tombstone's smile upon receiving the reward was priceless!
  15. To each his own, I guess.
  16. MGM, you are the BBQ master. Can’t wait to try some of that
  17. Today
  18. Once you alter the antique Winchester 92 to an NFA configuration the gun is no longer considered to be an antique. So, you will need to file a form 4 before you do the conversion As an FFL/SOT I have done it two ways. This one is a Ranch Hand originally sold as a handgun. It was form 4-ed to an Short-Barrel-Rifle SBR because it got a shoulder stock. This one was already a rifle with a 16" barrel. It was made into an SBR when the barrel was cut and threaded.
  19. I haven't been on here in years. Is the sale of non-CAS guns allowed here? Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything specifically in the rules one way or the other. Nothing for sale in this post, just inquiring. Thank you, Silver Dollar Sue SASS #3646
  20. There are any number of good reproduction mare's legs available, no need to risk running afoul of the ATF by creating your own.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.