SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. First make sure it is not loaded. Take the ramrod and drop it down the barrel. It should reach to the hole where the nipple is attached or very close. Take the nipple out and give it a thorough cleaning. Make sure there are no obstructions in the barrel. If you shine a light in the hole where the nipple was you should be able to see it by looking in the end of the barrel. I would also not use Pyrodex in a percussion pistol. I shoot around 70 lbs of real BP a year in everything from flinters to LR cartridge rifles. kR
  3. I spoke the final words over my friend's box. He'd been a Marine in d'Nam and he was my police partner and a fellow EMT. Neither of us had two nickles to rub together but what one had, he split with the other: the CD Carry Out had sausage dogs for ten cents and that kept our ribs from rattlin' together many a dark night. When you describe handing that folded flag with the solemn words, I had to stop and take a long breath and wipe my eyes. Bless you, my friend: it's hard duty we do, but we do it, because we must.
  4. Reading Rocket Ship Galileo (I've started rereading Heinlein). The burglar alarm goes off and Don goes to check. He was thinking that he wished he had a gun - a 45 would have felt real nice right then. The next day they make a run into town and buy two Garands and "a 38 police special on a 45 frame". That would either be a Colt New Service or a Smith & Wesson Heavy Duty. Did they make a New Service in 38? I know they made a 357. And I thought, IF HE WANTED A 45 LAST NIGHT, WHY DID HE BUY A 38? Only things I could come up with were that either there were no 45s in town, or the 38 was cheaper. Thus, my wonder.
  5. Had a nice day in Homer. A bit crowded as it is a destination for locals for the big 3 day weekend. We are going back later and are hoping to visit the Kilcher Homestead from Discovery Channel fame. We also visited the area we are going fishing next week. Raining today, so am drinking a brewski or 2 along with some smoked salmon and watched the Indy 500.
  6. To this I can only add ... (let's see if I can get this picture to attach!) ...
  7. 1st... lose the Pyrodex... a fouler product has seldom been foisted off on consumers. 2nd... Buy Lyman's Black Powder Handbook. You'll be amazed at how few questions you'll then have.
  8. Preacher Keller raised his dripping face from the wash basin. He looked at the wet reflection and shook his head sadly. "I don't mind it when a horse throws me," he said to the reflection. "I've been thrown any number of times." He reached over and picked up his shaving mug, added a little water and spun up some lather. He applied the fresh shaving cream to his wet stubble, twisting his mouth to the side as he did. "I refuse to admit I saw stars." He nodded in satisfaction at the coverage, at the white foamy beard he'd just applied to himself, then he picked up the freshly stropped straight razor, looked back into the mirror and stopped. "I'm goin' to miss Rye." He frowned, then laughed. "The man's more of a gentleman than folks realize. When I was flat on my back in the dirt and Doc was doing his best not to laugh at me, Rye came over and offered me a hand up and he didn't more than smile ever so slightly." He set the straight razor down, leaned the heels of his hands on the table, regarded his reflection as if he was studying a friend's face. "I didn't see any stars, but I'll admit to three planets and a stray comet."
  9. Thinking about how I could split up fairly and split shipping..
  10. If you will take the sight also , I will ship for prices listed.
  11. Thank you for your honesty. No beer for you today----- FWIW: My last name is Swiss in origin. My Grandmother(Moms side)was from Brumholder, her last name was Haan. When she came to the USA, she changed the spelling to Hahn, thinking she would have a better chance at finding work just after WW1. Best of luck to you and your club OLG
  12. If you are looking for a single shot 45/70 , Consider this one. One of John Browning’s greatest designs. Has nice case color finish, no ding or dents , even has a cleaning rod in the stock. Will throw in Hornady dies. $1100.00, or Trade for nice shot gun ( O/U or SxS ) what have ya got hidden in the safe, shotgun wise that yur not shooting any more. I’m starting to do a little clays shooting. This gun really shoots well.
  13. I'll take the Hat and the Knife, is shipping included in the price? I'm thinking about the sight.
  14. You are right. We have quite a lot of work to do in the safety department. We had a safety instruction before the match stating that no loaded guns are allowed if the wearer is not shooting. That scene was taken in a break between stages. I can asure you that the gun was unloaded. The "knucklehead" is me....
  15. Today
  16. Very good condition, up graded to new machine. This one needs a new home. Sells new for over $750.00, will ship for $435.00
  17. From what I could tell, the hook was set BEFORE he went to a match.
  18. Really-Why so? BTW, I always have a cup or 2 in the morn. The OP ask'd a question. I answered that question, and provided a link for the OP to reference to. I will counter your 'suggestion' with--maybe you should clean your glasses.......... OLG
  19. Wilson Combat sells Hornady HAP loaded ammo at 200 grain 45acp one with 880fps and another with 770 fps. . The page says that it does not expand so is not good for defense. I got to thinking though, lets say your magazine is loaded for plinking with the HAP rounds, seems that the lower 770 fps would be better as it would not be as likely to over penetrate even though it does not expand. am I wrong?
  20. Ted Blocker rig, two strong side draw and one right hand cross draw . In very good condition, made for NMV 5 1/2” barrels. 58 1/2” to first hole from tip of belt with six holes. So about 52 1/2- 58 1/2 fitment. This is top of the line leather ,I have used it eight years and it still shows like new. $300 shipped. Shot gun belt, 6 double loops, 6 thirty eight loops. Fits 48 - 56 waist $60.00.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.