SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Do you know how long it's been like that? THE BOOK is taking place in '74, and they are bringing in a million two and discussing smuggling it past customs. Wondered why you would have to smuggle money
  3. Soooo......., James Coburn just earned a Miss and not a P when he was aiming for the horse?
  4. Today
  5. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thekitchn.com/6-ways-to-tenderize-a-tough-cut-of-meat-242488
  6. There are NO shotgun hulls with aluminum heads. They are steel heads, with some plating of cadmium or zinc or other thin rust preventative coating. Stick them with a magnet. You will then understand, aluminum is not a great metal for putting in shotgun hulls.. The only Winchester target shells that I've seen with steel heads are the cheap Winchester Super Target shells. Both the Remington STS (green) and the Remington Nitro (gold) hulls work really well. The Nitro's are loaded to a heavier load from the factory, though. But once fired, they have the same great performance when reloaded. Good luck, GJ
  7. Shotgun stock fitting is an art, and some folks charge big bucks to do it. But if you have a Length of Pull in mind, from normal shotgun stocks you own, let's make a rough plan for a cowboy stock. Take your normal shotgun stock length, subtract an inch from it. You WILL shoot faster if you cut that inch off your cowboy gun stocks. Just don't make it so short your thumb of hand on the wrist of stock touches your nose when you throw the gun up. That will be your "Cowboy LOP" Figure out what butt plate or recoil pad or leather butt cover thickness you will use. Or maybe you will use a combination of plate plus cover, or pad plus cover. Subtract those thicknesses from your Cowboy LOP. That will be the distance from the trigger to the raw wood of your cut at the heel of the butt (the top part of the stock when held in shooting position. Then, consider the pitch you want. That's the angle in degrees that the cut of the butt varies from perpendicular to the line of sight (along the top of barrel). Male cowboys need the toe of a stock to be about 4 degrees of pitch from perpendicular, with the toe of the stock being closer to the trigger than the heel. Cowgirls (or men with thick chests) may need closer to 7 degrees of pitch. This makes it easy to keep the barrel down and reduces felt recoil when shooting at targets below level of the gun (like cowboy shooting does). Ok, with the "distance from the trigger to the raw wood of your cut at the heel" and the pitch angle to bring the toe in closer to the trigger, you can lay out your cut line. Use a fine sharp carbide blade in a large miter saw (or fine sharp blade in band saw if that is all you have), masking tape where the cut will be made, block the stock so it does not slip, and cut away. ... Or - just take it to a good cowboy gunsmith and let him do this. Good luck, GJ
  8. Great weather right now....I was in Fairbanks yesterday and over the weekend, just drive down to Anchorage today. Stopped by Denali a bit as well to enjoy the weather and saw some moose and caribou, but can only go to mile 15 without being on one of the buses. Mosquitos not active yet as still snow and ice in some of the water up north anyways, but I am sure they are coming. I did a 4 mile hike with no gun outside of Fairbanks and I’m still alive Safe travels!
  9. When cutting a stock you should use the finest tooth blade you have that will cut the wood without burning. The blade cuts flat so it require you to shim the stock at the wrist and hold it square. I use a miter saw to cut my stocks but I have an adjustable jig to hold the stock in alignment. Wrap the surface of the stock where the cut is to occur with good masking tape to reduce tear out (chipping). The butt plate will be too large once you cut the stock and it will require refitting.
  10. Kirk James

WILD BODIE TOM

I am so sorry to hear of this loss. My family has had the pleasure of shooting with Wild Bodie Tom for the last eight years. He will be missed by all of us!!! Our prayers go out to him.
  11. A 200 grain RNFP bullet will almost always work well in 1911 pistols. The shape is pretty close to the military FMJ bullet the military had the gun designed for a hundred eight years ago. 4.7 grains of WST (Winchester Super Target) works for me, and makes the Wild Bunch power factor in most guns. It's as clean as any powder in a 1911 pistol. Cartridge OAL is set on .45 auto loads based on where the rounded portion of nose meets the cylindrical part of the slug. You want NONE of the cylindrical section ("the shoulder", the driving band for example) to project from the case mouth. Only the rounded part of nose should stick out of the mouth. This is because the 1911 barrels have a VERY short throat between the chamber and the rifling. So, seating the bullet too far forward means the cylindrical section jams into the rifling, and failures to fully chamber some rounds occur. My OAL will be different than your OAL because my 200 gain RNFP most likely has a different shape to the nose section. There is no standard nose shape in RNFP bullets unless we both just happen to use bullets from the same brand and mold number of the mold casting the bullets. So don't load to the OAL - that is much less important than keeping the bullet nose from jamming into rifling. Like J Bar shows above, the cylindrical section of those semiwadcutter bullets just barely sticks out above the mouth of the case. Those will chamber well. Farther out, they jam up the gun. Taper crimp the cartridge, returning the case mouth diameter to about 0.471" Good luck, GJ
  12. That IS real food. Except the chicken backs & pigs ears. Love me some turnip greens & black-eyed peas.
  13. Our vet took in a parrot after its owner died. Decades later, the bird was still calling for the butler.
  14. Half the formula is 4.5 Bullseye, but I use a H&G #68 SWC, so the overall length is determined by the bullet shoulder - looks to be about 1.240".
  15. Ranger Stacey She has been on TV for about 25 years?
  16. Promo or Red Dot 4.2 grains will give around 800fps. Well over the 750 threshold for a 200 grainer. Mine are crimped in the crimp groove which makes overall length a tad short of book minimum. But I've never had an issue with any of the 1911's they've gone through including my Tommy Gun. I do size mine .451 though. Had issues at .452 that went away at .451 By the way, I was running 3.6 grains of Promo until we chrony'd them and they were just under 740 fps.
  17. 5.2 of Trailboss will give you the proper power factor for Wild Bunch. I seat them to the cannelure.
  18. I have a "neighbor" (1.6 mi) I grew up here with who was a Navy combat corpsman in Vietnam, and... DAMN. First thing, cover or remove the red cross from everything you can, toss your helmet overboard, and get a plain green one. Some of his stories are heartbreaking and some are downright miraculous. Even today, he occasionally gets a letter or email asking if he was the one who patched them up in so and so battle on so and so date, and there's no way to answer, because few of them really stand out after half a century.
  19. Rossi 92 In perfect shape look at pictures $600+ shipping and a copy of a ffl
  20. As close as an inch, as far apart as 15 yards. It varies. Which is a plus. Shooting the same array over and over gets old quick.
  21. Guidelines that aren't even used at their (SASS), match. Throw the suggested distances out the window!!! Phantom
  22. Hi Folks: I have a bunch of 200 grain lead RNFP bullets. I want to load 'em in 45 ACP cases for occasional WB matches. I'm sure some of you do this. Please let me know your load & overall length for this cartridge with the RNFP bullet. I think I have Trail Boss, Winchester 231, Tite Group, Bullseye, & Clays on hand Thanks in advance --Dawg
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.