SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. To me it's not worth the trouble, I'm in Illinois , and I get my BP from Crater Black Powder, Blasting & FireworksJon BlackertP.O. Box 44Mineral, IL 61344815-542-6287 (home)309-945-2666 (cell)pyro247@hotmail.comwww.addictedtoblackpowder.com Great guy to do business with!
  3. I tried a couple of searches, so forgive me if the answer to my question is somewhere obvious. I don't intend to shoot at EOT this year, but I would like to peruse the vendor's wares. Is the a particular time or day when non competing folks can come poke around?
  4. You would be going slower than indicated. Ask anyone who has put bigger tires on their truck or Jeep. With bigger tires than stock, you will be going faster than indicated and odometer will indicate fewer miles traveled. Therefore if you travel more miles than indicated, you would also be going slower than indicated.
  5. contact these people. they're located in Illinois. i'm sure they can help you. http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/
  6. If you were Farmer Brown working with Farmer Jones to plough 140 acres of parsnips in 6 hours it would read high. If you were Banker James on a train going west from Chicago it would read low.
  7. Thanks LostVaquero. Teenage boys know more than their fathers ever will and with information like you provided I can add it to the list and show him a list of experienced people that say it's a BAD idea.
  8. The checks in the mail. I hope there are a lot of blank pages in it so I can write in all of the clarifications.
  9. Having a pretty decent chemistry background I have made small batches of black and white (sugar based) gun powder. I still have all the ingredients including a ball mill. While nice to know how I will tell you the danger is not worth the risk unless in an end of the world case. The same triple goes for making primer material and no cowboy or very many frontier chemists were making primers or caps. I have done mercury fulminate once and that was in a laboratory with very high precautions. Glad he wants authentic but buying commercial and having intact gingers and eyes is better.
  10. Alpo

Stamps

Ask and ye shall receive. https://uniqueframedgifts.com/products/transcontinental-railroad-stamp-collectible?variant=13827774283831&utm_campaign=gs-campaign-2018-06-14&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping_usc&gclid=Cj0KCQjww47nBRDlARIsAEJ34blHwdSVHhfNi05KZBeXYkcXt17E4v_BUQBL683NNgiQzZa5uZ7710saAr_4EALw_wcB
  11. You have an old car, with a mechanical speedometer/odometer. You drive 150 miles and the odometer says you drove 200. Would the speedometer have been reading high or low? If you were driving at a steady "55", would you have really been going closer to 45 or to 65? Seems to me it would read high - that while you're doing the double nickel, everyone would be passing you while blowing their horn and flipping you off. Looking for a second opinion.
  12. Thank you to everyone for the information. I'm going to go with "just because it's legal doesn't make it safe". Sedalia, I would disagree about your estimates for reloading only being 1.5. There's still a lot that can go wrong which is why our insurance company asked about it when we were getting our homeowners policy. I do like the approach of calling it an explosive, that'll be my search and ultimately putting a stop to the idea. We live near Winchester in Alton, IL and over the years have heard stories about the dangers but as you know we only have so many years to train and teach our children. I want to stress to him and to anyone else researching this topic that it may be legal but here are a 1000 reasons it's a really bad idea. I don't want anyone to be afraid of firearms or gunpowder but I want to make sure they are given the respect and safety they deserve I'm looking for enough information to make sure that when my son is living on his own he doesn't decide to give it a try because he's older and wiser.
  13. Drive through Putnam often on the way to LaSalle to visit friends. Trying to get out of Illinois now. Looking at "pension friendly" states.
  14. Alaska is the only state I haven't been to, so I've got an Alaskan cruise booked for September. And right smack in the middle of it, my youngest daughter's first baby is due - my 6th grandchild.
  15. Nope, stage can be restarted if a round hasn't left the barrel. The embarrassment should be enough to teach the lesson.
  16. It was a great match. Every stage different but not too difficult. Entertainment at its best. We will be back. The first thing everyone involved with the match wanted to know was did you enjoy it. If there was something you did not like what was it? We met a lot of Cowboys not met before and saw an equal number of old friends. Did I mention we will be back! PS Many thanks to Fast Eddie and a GREAT crew. Kid Rich and Shirttail Bess
  17. One reason we shot 6 one day and 4 the next was that the weather forecast for the second day had an increased chance of rain. So they hoped to avoid being in the rain as long. We were blessed that it stayed dry, although a bit warm. Plus in the past, it has been a hassle for so many to finish 5 on the second day, get the scores done, prepare for the banquet, dress for the banquet and have fun. There are a few other factors as well, but I am not sure of them. And some do benefit from a lunch break, especially in hot or cold weather - in fact some cannot last without a break for over 5 stages, especially. So unfortunately it is a no win either way.
  18. It doesn't say in the OP, but apparently the rifle action was open (AND it was empty). Penalty should be that the shooter has to load all guns ON the clock... that'll learn em!
  19. I've got a pair of stainless NM Vaquero's but they are 3.75" not 4.62". I'm still on the fence with them but I've considered trying something new... They have Montado hammers, rosewood grips, Wolff spring kits already installed and have sequential serial numbers. Work great, just not quite sure they're my cup of tea. If I cant talk the son into them, they might be available. They've only been used in 3 matches and have a round count around 90 each.
  20. The all star episodes might just be him the way he’s going. It’s going to take someone special and a big mistake or two by him for him to lose, IMO, of course.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.