SASS Wire Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Could be... Maybe check to see if hammers are rebounding to safty notch. Examine primers in fired hulls to see if they look excessively deep or marks where firing pins plowed out. Check firing pins to see if they have mushroomed or otherwise sticking. I seem to recall someone selling hardened replacement firing pins for these guns.
  3. Decide on whether you want to shoot Modern or Traditional. PM me. I may have a Colt frame or two.
  4. Tennessee Williams is correct about the anvil.... a junk anvil will work you to death. I found that out the hard way !! A good one is worth the money.
  5. Ha!!! Uh, yeah...know that. It of course was...still subjective. Phantom
  6. Your concerns should be taken to the MD
  7. The last time I computed the costs was before the Obama regime. Reloading saved me $40 a match, $80 when the son shot with me. The Dillon Square Deal paid for its of in a short time. Sold it and purchased a 650 XL, now I save money AND enjoy reloading.
  8. 357: Okay, yes he did. Notice that I am NOT on the trigger of that SxS. It's on a sofa static. MG
  9. Here I am being dense again. How does the size of the magazine tube have any effect on whether a bullet will accordion back into the case? Some people may have a feed problem because of the mag tube, but I do not. My feed problem is because when the bullet backs into the case a second cartridge follows the one already on the carrier. This second cartridge prevents the carrier from rising, thus the jam. In my original post, I stated that I cut about .050” off of the bottom of the resizing die in order for them to work on my Dillon 550. But in Levi Littleton’s pictures, it’s obvious that his dies are sizing his brass to a smaller diameter than mine are. His bullets are effectively expanding the brass where mine are not. What kind of dies are you using Levi? I had tried Starline brass before with poor results. But having 100 rounds of new Starline, I loaded them up to give them a test tomorrow. Also used the 30 Carbine expanding die on the Starline brass and the 100 rounds of RP brass as well. I’ve heard that some dies are made for loading 32-20 with .308” diameter bullets. I am not going to load .308 bullets for my 32-20’s but the sizing die might work better. Except for the cartridge length both brands of brass have similar diameters and wall thickness (.006” wall thickness). The further I get into this, the more I’m thinking it’s the dies. I’ll give y’all an update after some range time tomorrow.
  10. Doc noticed a horse lingering around his stable, he was saddled but not tied up. He went up to the horse and checked the saddlebags, there was release papers from Yuma prison with the name Gordon "Bull" Riddle on it. Doc had no idea who's horse it was but guessed it might have belonged to the man Rye gunned down in the saloon. Bull Riddle didn't sound familiar to him at all. He checked with Mayor Dawg and the mayor said." Bull Riddle's two sons were shot by the previous sheriff, Cole Alan, who left the town just before Sheriff Tyrel took over. It was also before I became mayor but I'd heard the story from some of the townsfolk. Bull was in prison for armed robbery. He did 6 years and heard his sons were shot by Sheriff Alan in a bank holdup. Bull had no idea Sheriff Alan left town and had taken a job as a Wells Fargo detective. He was drunk and determined to find revenge for his sons being killed. I've gotta tell Rye who this maniac was" said the Mayor. The Mayor went down to the saloon where Rye was hanging out talking to the piano player. He explained to Rye who the crazed shotgun wielding lunatic was and who he was after. "I know Cole Alan, he was a sheriff in Sandstone which is where I found the Steinway piano. I knew Cole from a few years ago before he became sheriff here. We were on a cattle drive together. I forgot all about that whole Bull Riddle incident. I heard about it when I first got here to Stone Creek" said Rye. He poured a drink for the the Mayor and told him about his leaving to join the Arizona Rangers. The Mayor agreed that it was a good opportunity for Rye. He had been kicking around pushing cattle and playing piano and doing a couple temporary deputy gigs here and there. This Ranger job sounded like some stability which was scarce in the west. If you landed a job you hung onto it. "Good for you Rye, I hope you'll come back from time to time if you can, don't you be forgettin' about us now" said the Mayor. Rye said, " Mayor, I've made some good friends here that I won't forget and I'll be back when I can. I still have a few loose ends to tie up before I leave so you''ll have to put up with me for a couple weeks yet". The Mayor smiled and held up his glass and said, "I'll drink to that".
  11. Fantastic match, worth coming too t his one from Nebraska
  12. Sent PM back. I will have to go check the chokes & length. They are either 26" or 28". I recollect that they are 3" chambers (Full & Mod?). I won't know until I get to town. MG PS Right now I'm looking for my cell phone. I have either lost (or possibly was swiped) my cell phone with all of my pics, etc.
  13. Hopefully you will be healed by then. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
  14. Shoot went well. All 50 cartridges went boom. No real problems. The guns did seem to be binding a little more than usual. Not sure if that was the papers fault, probably caps. When I cleaned them, some debris washed out of the chambers. Overall, way better than handling loose powder. Maybe I could use a jag to clean the chambers between loadings, like the worm for a cannon
  15. I check all my AA shells before a match. The Super Sizer will fix not all but 9 out of 10.
  16. I've seen non-overlapping targets deemed too close for a "Clean" miss. That's the problem - subjective. Phantom
  17. And you know they had to use Wikipedia to find out who they were. Kinda like doing a cover and not knowing it was a cover or who made it famous.
  18. While APP does not rust my guns, the residue buildup can stop them from functioning. After every day at a major match the buildup gets washed off. It is removed quite easily.
  19. Congrats JM and I appreciated your input and help with the walk thru. I’m still learning the ins and outs and ups and downs of writing matches. I’ve only written a couple of matches including the one you just shot so advice in the form you gave it is much appreciated.
  20. I love Clays. It's all I currently load with. Whenever I get down to two 8# tubs I buy another.
  21. From the thread title I was hoping for a photo of you with a big fish!
  22. i had looked for a few years for a lower to mount my kimber conversion to so i would not have to be switching it back and forth - i finally gave up and bought a sale item and cannibalized it [put the stock upper in storage in the original box ] i am happy - sorry this wont add to your happiness but you might be luckier than i in your search ,
  23. Hello Mr. Ham Call Altamont Grips and ask if they will make you a slim pair. They have a lot of great choices.
  24. It was a blast working on this match. I don’t know if I ever really expressed how hard Wabash Valley Slim worked. He hustled from sun up to sundown for 2 straight days helping with the stage fronts, props, tables etc. I’m not sure how I’d have gotten it done this year without his help. All but a few of the stages came from ideas that I “borrowed” from other folks. I got “blast the doors” from Fire N Fallback. The knockdown stage came from T-bone. Other contributors /influences were Cowboy Junky, Jake Dunson, Pig Iron Lane and the cracker crew to name a few. My motto is “If ya want the best, steal from the best.”
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.