SASS Wire Forum

WADDIES WANTED

Drago SASS #2995L

O.K. Waddies tell us your EOT tall tale....funny thing happened to me on the wat to EOT!!! :)

You want to know what End of Trails is like?…just ask a Waddie. Oh they may not know who provided the top notch evenings entertainment, the number of vendors or where they were located, and they may not how many shooters were signed up. What they will know is working EoT is a lot of work and long hours doing it.

Work is what Waddies do…deliver water to range, deliver food and drink supplies to the various featured events, run parking lots-camping areas, work in scoring or be a part of the security force. You may set up tables for the evenings entertainment, or be asked to put up banners and road signs. If it needs to get done, chances are… a Waddie is going to do it.

Some Waddies have returned to work at EoT for several years; it almost seems to be permanent roster of volunteers, several with over 5 years and many with over 10 years of continued Waddie status. End of Trail Waddies are almost like family…some you get along with and some you may argue with…but none the less we usually leave say’n see ya next year.

What does a Waddie get for all this…a dollar-a-day and Found, a Waddie shoot and maybe a raffle ticket for a prize draw, but what they really get is the satisfaction of being a part of the success of End of Trail.

We are receiving sign-ups daily for EoT 2008 and only a few more will be accepted. If you are interested in being a BIG part of its success, visit the SASS WEB Site; EoT 2008 to sign up ‘ON LINE’ and we’ll see you there!

Footloose and I have been Waddies (always capitalize Waddie) since 2000.

I wouldn't trade anything for all the fun we have had working with this great group! :)

Like the Boss said it is one big family. I have made friends from all over the country,and yes even from all over the world. Most of them I only see at EOT,but we do keep in touch.

It is hard work sometimes,but the rewards are priceless,and I don't mean the food! :) or the money.

Come out and join us.

Bea Ware and I waddie to show our appreciation to SASS for sticking with this enterprise and making it what the sport is today -- literally world class, and to support Founders Ranch, a fabulous facitilty. Second, last year was our first year at EOT and we found that being a waddie allowed us to take the spectacle in, so that if we decide to shoot EOT we will have some experience with it.

One can soon appreciate that putting on EOT is a big challenge to do it well. Without Waddies, EOT could not exist because competitors could not afford the match cost.

The comraderie among the Waddies is high and not only did we have a lot of fun, we also won some cool prizes (a revolver, for one). Drago, our waddie ramrod, is reasonable to work for and takes good care of us.

Plus, we eat free, how good is that? :)

Something funny at EOT, OK! The waddies have their own little shoot at EOT and I shot a clean match, except for one miss -- a three feet square SASS Marshal target at about five yards. Oy vey!

Drago,

Don't forget to tell them about the Cookies!

The fun they will have before and after EOT is done is more important than the money.

(Gotta say the money is nice.....I think I have made a little more than $100.00 in 7 years at different shoots - boy they pay really well :) )

AND always the people they get to meet!

Both from around the country and around the world!

Being a Waddie is the greatest way to attend EOT. I would recommend that anyone wanting to shoot at EOT should Waddie at least once. Knowing what is going on, all the hard work done behind the scenes, and the people who deal with all that hard work is something everyone in SASS should know about.

Footlosse and Fancy, Bea & Shortstroke, Drago and Tess, Travis, and all my other friends I will sorely miss not being there this year.

You may have heard "I came for the shooting & I stayed for the people" before, but that is the way it is.

LLC

COOKIES?..:D ..did someone say COOKIES :D ?

Fancyfree makes the very best oatmeal cookies, but you have to be a waddie to get some.

The best part of being a waddie is you get to do it all for free. SASS gives you a badge, it's free. They allow you to enter and see the entire EOT show, all for free. They give you lunch, free, and even give you a dollar a day just for showing up, again all for FREE! You can't beat the deal. FREE FREE FREE. Oh, you only have to work a little...............well at least it's free as well.

:P

Yea the cookies are great have to admit that. But the best is seeing my 6 year old as a Waddie, then pulling out the raffle tickets so Waddies could win the best guns. Still have to laugh at it. She still says that she was trying to find Daddy's name. I am with you Laylow wish I could be there this year but I am floating. I am working on getting something for the Shack.

So, Travis wanted this wood watering trough to go along with the water pump we used as a prop in front of the Waddie shack…this was about ‘97 or so. Well, sometimes while working so hard you need to cool down…he gets this bright idea that maybe it should actually hold water..But it doesn’t. O.K., he thinks.... line the inside with some sort of sealer/foam insulation or what ever.

Along comes the watering truck we used to cut the dust in town…what an easy way to fill the small…little trough! Now a watering truck of that type holds and can spray A LOT of water! “stop here and fill this thing” Well it leaked like a sieve and in a few minutes we had a river running though the vendor’s tent next to the Waddie shack, needless to say Ms. M. Shelhart & Co. was not too happy and proceeded to lay into me…what the heck did I have to do with it!

That cut down on our fun ………………for an hour or two.

Padre P.W. …may have had something to do with this…not sure though!

need more stories...some funny/stupid thing I ask you to do..or SASS asked you to do!

I have pics of the trough, no water in it but Travis is! :P:D

Then there was the time that I asked Tex to move his Escolade.

He just gave me his keys and asked if I would be his parking valet the rest of the week. :D Everyday he would come thru the Waddie(ACW) shack and toss me his keys! :D I only had to track him down once to give him his keys.

Guest Tom Muley, SASS #27759

How about the time I had my chuck wagon set-up in front of the 'waddie' shack and someone stuck a fake arm and hand hanging out of my water barrel

................................................................Travis know anything about this?

If you want stories ask Laylow Curly about those two 14 year old girls he was groping in the big tent.

Heck, we could even talk about that little furry "Bar B Q" on the spit at the "2008 Gunfight Behind the Jersey Lily" .....BUT NOOOOOO, not me.  I'll never talk!

1204031[/snapback]

1. They was 18.....I swear!

2. I never ate any!

LLC-D

The stool with the grafitti scrawled on it by Waddie Mitichel and Don Edwards was found in my basement when I got home and we had to replace it with a pristine antique.

Ain't no way FancyFree will let that trashy graffiti out of the house.

Footloose

Where else can ya get cussed out by Elvis when he can't park where he wants!

Naw, that couldn't have been. Somebody musta put too much mescaline in my mescal.

JHC :P (What had a blast and might Waddie again this year if he gets to go. Don't know yet)

Drago:"Well it leaked like a sieve and in a few minutes we had a river running though the vendor’s tent next to the Waddie shack, needless to say Ms. M. Shelhart & Co. was not too happy and proceeded to lay into me…what the heck did I have to do with it!" :(

Oh so YOU guys were the reason the vendors complained about the water trucks and screwed up the Dust Abatement Program. :(:(

Seriously, thanks for all of your hard work,... B)

... (and STAY away from the water trucks!) ;)

I know there are many good stories,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

WHERE ARE THEY??????

1209928[/snapback]

How does that Colt shoot?

Most of the stories I can recall would only get me into trouble by telling them.

The first time I went to Founder's Ranch my truck slid on thick, red clay-like New Mexico mud one fine clear day(after it rained the night before). I was stuck against a barb wire fence until Footloose rescued me several hours later, and only after two tow trucks met the same fate and a motorhome drove by at a high rate of speed throwing mud up at me.

The next time, or maybe that same time - they are blend together so, it was a lovely sunny day, then it started raining, then ice fell and finally the weather turned back to sunshine. All within 30 minutes. You gotta love the weather in New Mexico.

How about the year we made signs to denote things or places to go, only to have the ranch tractor and backhoe both breakdown before a single hole was dug and we had to dig in that ****** hard, rock infested ground on the ranch. When to plant the signs. After we finally got the holes dug the tractor started working and someone went behind us and turned the most of the signs so they faced AWAY from where we had them directed.

How about when Tess Dandridge was all dolled up in her finest evening gown and someone stepped on the back end of it as she walked away........rip.

OR when the stagecoach drove by and then rolled by.......it took the corner too fast and tipped over spilling passengers and horses. I don't recall anyone getting hurt too bad but I think one of the horses might have. That was the last time the stage went by as I recall.

OR when some of the SASS staff complained about lacking a certain rolled paper product in a little blue colored room behind the "VIP Tent". Only to find a large amount of said paper product blocking the blue room's entrance the next morning so they would not miss it, or complain.

For those who know the story, rember the year some people found white cloth objects lying around the ground and were kind enough to offer them to local residents as a form of advertising? Invoke your 5th Amendment rights.

One year we had the Medivac chopper take someone away, then the ambulance took another two or three people to the hospital. At least two people got food poisoning one year and ended up in the hospital.

It seems like every year something new and wild happens. Most of the time we have fun and nothing bad happens, other times we are not so lucky. Let's hope for only good times.

Well, I don't have any tall tales to tell, yet. What I can say is that we couldn't get our mounted match accomplished without the wonderful Waddies we have!! We ran into San Yskidrow Belle at the Tombstone Mounted Nationals, and were talking about all the fun we have had over the years. She has been with the mounted arena bunch for years, and so have alot of the other Waddies we have on our team. Like you have all said, it is a family. :(

THANK YOU !! THANK YOU !! to Drago and all of us Waddies !!

SEE YOU AT EOT ! :(

• 2 weeks later...

The first EOT I went to was in 2003. I decided to go as a waddie since the best way to see how an event works is to work in it. I didn`t know any of the jobs, so I signed on as a rover. I`d just do whatever needed doing. Friday morning I got to the Waddie shack just as Drago was yelling for the rover. He directed me to Lobo Blanco(I believe), who was to take me to my job assignment. I was taken through the campground to the fence seperating the public parking. There was a gate that was to be used if emergency vehicles were needed onsite. I was to make sure no-one parked in front of the gate. As there were not enough waddies, I had to stay there the whole day. So, my first day at EOT was spent sitting at that gate. Fortunately, I had put a book in my saddlebags. The campers around the gate were amazed to see me sitting there every time they came back from the event area. They were all quite kind and always asked if I needed anything. Saturday and Sunday were much better since more waddies showed up to take shifts,and I had time to sight-see on my breaks. Since then, Drago gives me more interesting jobs.

Archived