SASS Wire Forum

First Time EOT 08

If I can manage it, I plan to attend EOT'08 for the first time. My question is how do I interperet the schedule to know what to shoot?. The schedule appears to show several "main stages" over many days. Are shooters squaded for specific days or just how does one know what days to attend? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben A Contender

Warm up match is Tuesday

Side matches are Wednesday

Main match is Thursday, Friday and Saturday

You shoot 4 stages each day of the main match

There are 3 sqaudded times each of the main days.

The possee you are assigned to will shot 1 of each of the times, Morning-mid-late.

Hope this helps.

Scout :blush::wub:

Ben..not to highjack your thread but as a newcomer I'd like to ask one too..

Looking at the schedule...and the conventioneer heading.

Not sure I could swing a week, but a long weekend is readily available.

Is it alright for people to show up say....on a Thursday afternoon and spend the weekend taking in the sights...? :blush:

Hank Rugerman - you can stop in any time the event is open, however, if you don't sign up as a main event shooter, conventioneer, waddie or vendor, you may be required to pay the daily admission fee.

The conventioneer's fee might your best deal if you want to spend the long weekend there. It offers shooting and attendance at all the regular entertainment events and seminars.

You can always volunteer as a waddie and get in for free (well you work for that free but you have fun working the event). If interested see the waddie sign-up information on the home page and send your application to Drago. Waddie DO have fun. Just ask anyone who survived a previous EOT.

• 1 month later...

I for one believe that anyones' 1st trip to EOT should be as a Waddie. That's what I did last year. This year I am deployed. Looks like next might be also. So I will be back 2010 as a Waddie.

As a first timer last year, I can advise that you stay loose, don't overplan and allow yourself plenty of time to see and take in it all. Bring lots of $$ as there are super opportunities for buying some things hard to come by locally. Good food vendors as well. I did find that socializing was held down a bit as climbing the hill to your RV can be a bit of a challenge after a day of shooting. There are some trolley types of people carriers, but are hard to depend on. I recomend using Cactus Chris's cart corral to park your cart at days end. Ferrying them back to your camp daily will make you decide the fee is worth it on day one. Plus he has peanuts to share. Try the Tea Room. It's worth the time. Great iced tea too. Try the cookies at the same time.

If you are camping, try to find yourself in a group of pards that you can spend the evenings with as those moments will be some of the best you find yourself remembering as EoT. Have fun and shoot often, with gusto and once in a while hit a target!

If I can manage it, I plan to attend EOT'08 for the first time. My question is how do I interperet the schedule to know what to shoot?. The schedule appears to show several "main stages" over many days. Are shooters squaded for specific days or just how does one know what days to attend? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben A Contender

1143047[/snapback]

• 2 weeks later...
Warm up match is Tuesday

Side matches are Wednesday

Main match is Thursday, Friday and Saturday

You shoot 4 stages each day of the main match

There are 3 sqaudded times each of the main days.

The possee you are assigned to will shot 1 of each of the times, Morning-mid-late.

Hope this helps.

Scout :D  :P

1143388[/snapback]

I am a newbie and will be arriving after the warm-up match date. I cannot say exactly when, as I have to work until 9:00 pm Sunday, the 15th, in Los Angeles.

We will be driving and set out as soon as possible but cannot drive all the way straight through, but must stop at least once. So I do not know when we will be arriving at the motel in Albequerque. Hopefullly before Wednesday, but I cannot guarantee it.

My question is this: Will I be missing anything important if I am not at Founder's Ranch before Wednesday afternoon? Are posse's selected before the participants arrive based on the online registration? Will there be any penalty to me or to the posse I am assigned to if I arrive Wednesday late afternoon? And lastly, as a beginner, should I sign up as a shooter or not? I have been told different things by different people about going as a shooter or just a watcher. I am just getting into Cowboy Action Shooting and have not yet joined a club in my area (this is due to scheduling and job conficts). But I hope to be attending local matches before the date of EOT.

One other thing, I am slightly disabled. I use either 1 or 2 canes to get around, and have a scooter to get from wider place to places. I know that my times for the matches will be rather long since I will not be able to go from place to place very fast (I may have to use a cane to get around then, but I am hoping I can go without it for the matches.). But I beleive I can participatae fully, if not quickly.

Hopefully someone can let me know what the situation will be in regards to my potential participation. I don't think I will be missing anything important by arriving late Wednesday, but I am not sure. If you can help me clear the confusion, I will be extremely grateful.

Two Feathers,

Welcome. First, let me say you can't become a shooter if you don't shoot. That being said, I am not sure EOT is the place to shoot your first match. I would strongly reccommend you get to some local matches and see exactly what happens before you register to shoot EOT. Maybe sign up as a conventioneer. You can shoot a couple of stages. I hear rumors of something very interesting and new this year for conventioneers. Strictly rumors but if its true, I LIKE IT.

No penalties for anyone for showing up Wednesday. If you sign up as a shooter and miss your shooting times then, yes, you will lose points.

Please show up and bring your scooter. If that is what it takes for you to get involved, the Wild Bunch allows them in town. There are several folks who do use them.

Hope to see you there.

Ben: When you check in at EOT you will be given a packet with your posse number on it and the schedule when your shooting times will be. Just be sure and give yourself a little time to get where you are supposed to be, the place is big and wonderful, so much to see! They have a schedule they stick to quite well, but I did not feel rushed. Side matches we just showed up when we felt like it and shot them during the posted hours.

Two Feathers:We went the first time simply as spectators, before EOT was moved to New Mexico. Went two years ago to shoot, and are signed up for this year. It is a wonderful experience, but I would recommend a person get a couple of smaller local annuals under their belt, so to speak, so that you will feel comfortable at a large shoot. It is about a 10 hour drive from Las Vegas, and we plan on one stop in Winslow for a night because we like to take things a little easier and look about some. You'll want to get in as early as you can, so you can get used to the altitude and look the place over.

Posse assignments are made before EOT, based on what I don't know! You'll have to ask CD Tom about that. Last minute sign ups are probably filled in where they need extra shooters. No penalty to the posse if you aren't there. It was so great, we had shooters from Australia, Belgium and Germany on our posse.

Madd Monte: Surely wish you home safely soon, and back having fun at EOT.

TFM,

Lets add this to our discussions on Sunday in NORCO. We'll get you some answers.

Youngblood

I am a newbie and will be arriving after the warm-up match date. I cannot say exactly when, as I have to work until 9:00 pm Sunday, the 15th, in Los Angeles.

We will be driving and set out as soon as possible but cannot drive all the way straight through, but must stop at least once. So I do not know when we will be arriving at the motel in Albequerque. Hopefullly before Wednesday, but I cannot guarantee it.

My question is this: Will I be missing anything important if I am not at Founder's Ranch before Wednesday afternoon? Are posse's selected before the participants arrive based on the online registration? Will there be any penalty to me or to the posse I am assigned to if I arrive Wednesday late afternoon? And lastly, as a beginner, should I sign up as a shooter or not? I have been told different things by different people about going as a shooter or just a watcher. I am just getting into Cowboy Action Shooting and have not yet joined a club in my area (this is due to scheduling and job conficts). But I hope to be attending local matches before the date of EOT.

One other thing, I am slightly disabled.  I use either 1 or 2 canes to get around, and have a scooter to get from wider place to places. I know that my times for the matches will be rather long since I will not be able to go from place to place very fast (I may have to use a cane to get around then, but I am hoping I can go without it for the matches.). But I beleive I can participatae fully, if not quickly.

Hopefully someone can let me know what the situation will be in regards to my potential participation. I don't think I will be missing anything important by arriving late Wednesday, but I am not sure. If you can help me clear the confusion, I will be extremely grateful.

1233347[/snapback]

Archived