SASS Wire Forum

Hugh O'Brien

Dakota Mae #58051

Can you tell me when/where the event with Hugh O'Brien will take place??  We want to be sure and make that one!  Thanks!  We are getting packed and ready too!!  Almost need a trailer though to carry all our gear!!!  lol :)

878903[/snapback]

Thursday June 21 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM Tijeras Corral Chuckwagon Concert & Buckaroo Bronze

Juni Fisher performs - Hugh O'Brian Recieves Bronze Buckaroo Award

Thursday June 21 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM Tijeras Corral Chuckwagon Concert & Buckaroo Bronze

Juni Fisher performs - Hugh O'Brian Recieves Bronze Buckaroo Award

879825[/snapback]

Thanks Lazy K - guess I need to larn how to read the schedule!!!

I'm involved with Film Festivals on the East Coast... Obrian is the only guest star to attend one that charged for everything... $20 for an autographed photo... $10 to autograph the event program; $20 to have your photo made with him, etc.

Plus, he wore a loose fitted hawaiian shirt and baggy shorts and sandels instead of his Wyatt Earp outfit....

On the first day, a guy walked up and had a comic book, a Wyatt Earp photo, his program book, bought a photo, had his photo made, etc. When he asked what he owed, O'Brian said $80. The guy almost choaked... he had a line of folks behind him and when they heard that, the line disappeared.

Other guest stars normally only charge $10 to $20 for an autographed photo. No charge for having your picture made with them or for signing the program.

He won't be invited back.

Guest Cole Younger SASS#4237L-Regulato

I purchased one of the Wyatt Earp Lithographs by Bob Boze Bell and asked Mr. O'brien to sign it ( he got 40 bucks from every one sold) and he said to me " Give me some money" I asked if this was for his foundation and he replied ," NO, its for me. Give me some money"

Very dissapointed. Bob Boze Bell was also very dissapointed.

O'Brien is on my "don't piss on him if he is on fire " list

We didn't go see him. Didn't miss anything. I hope SASS doesn't invite him back.

892468[/snapback]

Hey all - we're back from EOT just today - have to comment on this. Bob Boze Bell's speeches were just excellent both nights and he was VERY PERSONABLE in the display tent. He did not charge for having a picture taken with him and signed all the items (4) we bought. Hugh O'Brien did a good job with his acceptance speech, too. HOWEVER, he was NOT personable at all in the display tent. He did shake our hands but was sure not much for small talk. We did not purchase any of his pics for this reason - and they were certainly high priced as well as not such great quality. Plus he was late the first day.

IN a way I'm glad y'all experienced the same O'Brian we did, but then again, you always hope he'll change..... to bad.

I became friends with Lash LaRue in the early 1990's and O'Brian was the only person you could mention that would set Lash off in a profanity laced tyrant.

Lash played Johnny Behan on the Earp series for a few episodes. He always said that O'Brian was the most arragant, obnoxious, SOB he ever worked with. Lash use to outdraw him just to pi$$ him off. O'Brian would run complaining to the director to have him stop doing that. Eventually, it got Lash fired off the show.

Real jerk !!

'Nooga

• 3 weeks later...

He useta challenge other western stars to fast draw contests. He kept challengin' Audie Murphy 'til Audie agreed. Audie said they'd do it face to face with live ammo. Little Hughey shut up.

Yer pard,

ECS

• 2 months later...

Very dissapointed. Bob Boze Bell was also very dissapointed.

O'Brien is on my "don't piss on him if he is on fire " list

892269[/snapback]

I have stayed at his house once with a past girlfriend, whom was a friend of OBrien's wife,

he is a very grouchy old man, to say the least.

I was dissappointed as well,

and there weren't NOTHIN western in his house anywhere, that I saw..........

• 1 month later...
Guest Hell-Bent Wade 18285

Well... Hmmm... A lot said here and "some" not-so-much about an "out of work" actor.

How would you pay your way if you were out of work? Any way you could?

Don't mind a feller makin' a livin' offa his past glories, but he oughta be pleasant to them what remember his glory days. He also oughta remember what made 'em his glory days an' try to dress the part.

I seen Dale Robertson at a gun show, an' he was wearin' boots an' a sharp leather vest. He was usin' a scooter-thingie to get around, but he was doggone polite an' seemed inersted in ever'thing that was said to 'im. He's still got a full head a thick hair, too. It's enough to make you hate 'im, a'most.

ECS

Archived