SASS Wire Forum

Santa Fe - Anything Cowboy Cool?

Go to the Plaza for sure. There's a lot of neat stuff there. Check out the Palace of the Governors, a great museum about the state of New Mexico (also where Gov. Lew Wallace wrote a lot of his book, "Ben Hur").

You know, more I think about it, Santa Fe is just a great all around town. I love it there!

Try the Museum of Indian Art and Culture up on Museum Hill. Also see the Palace of the Governors on the Plaza. You can take the road on the east side of the Sandia Mountains (the state highway that goes through Cedar Crest) to Sante Fe for a scenic drive. There's some old coal mines visible near Madrid.

Guest Snakebite, SASS #4767L

I spent a week there last year before EOT. I hate to say it, but I was not as impressed as some. Just about everything in the town is grossly overpriced, and it seems to have attracted all the hippies that use to be out here in California. The Plaza does indeed have many shops, but make sure and raise the limit on your credit card before you go!

One place that I did find that was great, was a little shop at 411 S. Guadalupe st. It was called Rio Bravo Trading Co., and is owned by Randy Rodriquez. 505-982-0230. He seems to keep non standard hours. In his shop, there is a lot of old "Cowboy" stuff. One thing that I really liked was a huge box full of old hats. These hats were mashed around and such, but the man is a MASTER at blocking, sizing and reshaping the hats into a real personal touch... just for you. He does a lot of business suppling hats to the movies. You can get a great hat there, made to fit you and styled just for you at a fraction of the cost you would pay from one of the hat vendors at most places. This shop made my trip to Santa Fe worth my while. Randy also has a ranch that is just around the corner from Founders Ranch. If you get to Santa Fe, I think you will enjoy a visit with him.

Snakebite

Other than that, I'd avoid Santa Fe like the plague. Just my opinion.

879831[/snapback]

Speaking of avoiding the plague, a child from Tijeras (about 20 miles from Founders Ranch) died of the plague in late May. This article warns that the plague activity is high in the East Mountains (where Founder Ranch is located) and lists precautions from the New Mexico State Health Department. Treat your fur friends with industrial-strength flea killer before letting them out of your RV.

Yea ya just gotta go thru Madrid..what a buzz!

We did last year on the way to Hell on Wheels from EoT and were lucky enough to catch up with John Travolta and Tim Allen filming "Wild Hogs" Wow what a movie.

Us Aussies tried to get in as "extras", but ..na so we hung with the stunt men for a while.

Go see the movie :)

Also, if you feel like it, there is a little town just south of Santa Fe called Cerrilios (there might be 2 L's). Cerrilios was used as the town of Lincoln in the movie Young Guns. You can still see the Wortley Hotel painted on one of the buildings. I will try to get some pictures up if anyone is interested.

Went to Santa Fe yesterday, did the things that we always do...

Flea Market... great buys on some good stuff...

ate at Thomasita's resturant... wonderful food next to the train station.

went into Rio Bravo, had to see my pard Randy... he is a wizard with old hats.

Yep, bought me another one... real humdinger this time...

Miz Annie found a great piece of history, a concho belt made by the famous Gearldine Yazzie, one of six sisters that do the most amazing silver work.

Been knowing Randy Rodriquez since our first trip out here in '92, he is one of the good guys, an honest trader, a real life cowboy and a good friend. If you get a chance go to Rio Bravo Trading Co, you won't regret it.

Archived