SASS Wire Forum

30% of shooters at EOT had a procedural

I was looking at the EOT scores, the ones that show misses and procedurals, and was amazed at the number of procedurals...so much so that I started to count them...all of them. Not one shooter in the top 20 had a procedural. By shooter number 410 there were 100 people with at least one procedural...I did not keep track of shooters with multiple procedurals...and there were a few. By shooter number 726 we reached 200 procedurals. By the time I reached the last shooter, number 880, I had counted 267 shooters who had at least one procedural. That is slightly over 30%. Is this too many? I really don't care about stage design at all...big targets, little targets, movement, no movement, simple or complicated, I prepare for and shoot them all the same way. However, as I mentioned, once you move out of the top 20 shooters it is alarming how many shooters had procedurals...any one can miss a target but I view procedurals as "self-inflicted wounds" and they flat out ruin my day. Personally, I like complicated stages with hard targets...I tend to do much better on these types of stages...but I just can't help but think they must be frustrating for the average shooter..certainly for 1 out of every 3 shooters at EOT.

Hi CnH,

As a below-average (bottom 20%) shooter and one who got a procedural, I don't think the stages were difficult.

My procedural was an oops that, I believe, was brought on by a "situation" that had nothing to do with the scenarios. It was very distracting to have the berm marshalls overrule a call made by two out of three of our counters on a previous stage and then be interviewed and reinterviewed on subsequent stages.

BTW, the distracting nature of the situation may have been worse for me as I was the one counter out of three whose call they agreed with and it did not go in the shooter's favor. :D:blink: I would have preferred to let the matter drop, go with the two-out-of-three like the rules state, and give the benefit of the doubt to the shooter. That did not happen!

Hope you aren't sorry you asked.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Guest Miss Ruby Redsmoke, SASS #48421

Yep I'm one with a very painful 'self inflicted wound' from EoT. Couldn't believe I had done it but knew I had as soon as I pulled the trigger, why couldn't it click before???!!! :blink:

Heyya CH

I thought your post was thoughtful, and enlightening. EOT 2006 was a match wherein shooters with mental discipline and focus could place reasonably well.

Any contexual distraction could easily cause one to let down the mental focus and shoot a "P". There is an inherent comparative analytical value to this kind of information.....

thanks for the information,

Pecos Clyde

CNH: These numbers sound reasonable and acceptable. This was the "World's Championship" of CAS...and many of us were not World Class shooters. There were probably many Ps and Misses due to the "gulp" factor of performing on such a grand stage. On the other hand, I'll bet even combined monthly local shoots, adding up to 12 stages, might see a 20-25% P total, donchathink? :blink:

Guest Presidio
:blink: what is a berm marshall I have been shooting for 8 yrs and never herd

that term. The shooter always gets the benifit .

499990[/snapback]

A Berm Marshal is a designated figure head that is supposed to make sure that the stage is shot and scored the same way by all competitors and to keep things moving as smoothly as possible. They really aren't supposed to make any rulings unless they're asked or begged to, or if it's a safety issue. I believe it's the same as a Stage Marshal as they stay at their assigned stage area and not travel with any particular posse. Sorta like their house so to speak. Wasn't able to make EoT so I don't know what SASS defined Berm Marshal as doing.This is leastways my definition of what they are supposed to be.

And, your right - the shooter is always to get the benefit on a miss call.

Archived