SASS Wire Forum

Certified Pirate

Lawdog Dago Dom

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Funny. I have trouble visualizing a bunch of pirates with longbows.

Archery?

Bow & Crossbow: Pirates' Silent Weapons
Pirates had some stealthy tricks up their sleeves, and one of them was the trusty bow and crossbow. These were used by pirates to wreak havoc on their enemies' ships before boarding them. Imagine pirates perched high up in the rigging, taking aim with their bows and crossbows, like true stealthy snipers!

SOURCE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

That’s pretty cool @Lawdog Dago Dom

That would be a fun certificate to get and have. 
Of course I would have a heckuva time getting into MIT now and back when I considered going to college. I joined the Navy instead and became a salty dog. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Seems to me that the archery course should be replaced with a gunnery course.  The ability to properly aim a cannon is vastly more applicable to being a pirate than the ability to shoot a bow.

Gunnery with black powder flintlock pistols.

i took swimming - i figured if all else failed you can jump overboard , of course i could already swim , actually had been on swim team but ya had to take it to graduate ..................now granted i left that university two years in and transferred to another , but i could swim and i could have graduated there , 

• Like 2

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) on X: "Arrrr… Actor Matt Damon  was awarded an honorary MIT Pirate Certificate at @mitcommencement!  #MIT2016 https://t.co/THejlFxWdD" / X

Damon's certificate is marked as 'honorary' -- he left MIT 12 hours short of graduating for an acting job (12 credit hours -- not a 1/2 day -_-).

I infer he didn't really complete the four PE classes, either.

ETA: I wonder how many taxpayer dollars have gone out to pay for piracy classes.

Edited by Ozark Huckleberry
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In this scene you can clearly see that a bow has been handed to Gibbs as Jack boards the ship.

And in this scene, Jack clearly states:

Snip-it_1720526857330.jpg.0aadb94032096b986ee0399ab503d7d3.jpg