SASS Wire Forum

Mossberg 500 question

Gonna be picking up a 500 tomorrow that is a true mud-puppy. While I know Remington 870s inside and out, I am new to the 500. What should I expect to find as possible problems inside the beast?

Zero Defects! I have owned several Mossberg 500s. Still have 2. The others became family gifts. Never had an issue with any of them. Shot Remington 870’s as a kid and in the Navy. I’ll take a Mossberg over a Remington any day. 

Also, the Mossbergs seem to have more and cooler aftermarket support. 

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Like 4

I have two, and I think that you'll be happy with it. Features I like are the position of the safety being under your thumb, and the slide release being behind the trigger guard where you can operate with the third finger of your firing hand without moving it from the action. I find both to be more ergonomic than the Remington. I also like that the magazine tube holds 5 as opposed to Remington's 4.

There as many aftermarket parts for the Mossberg as the Remington. There are probably a couple dozen barrels available, and they replace a bit easier than Remingtons. 

A friend of mine had a Remington, while I had my Mossberg. We were out poking holes in the desert once when he mentioned that he kept having trouble cycling the action. I observed that he was using low brass shells, so I loaded it with some high brass shells I happened to have. It cycled flawlessly with them. I don't know if this was just his gun that was particular, of if it is something that all Remingtons are prone to.

Oh yeah, a while back the U.S. Marines traded their Remingtons for Mossbergs.

Edited by Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770
  • Like 2

I love my 500.  

I have an Ithaca 37 for sake the sake of old memories and an SKB200E that I had made for me at the factory when I was in Japan.  I bought it for SASS and never used it for anything but upland game birds.  

My grandson bought a plain Jane Mossberg 500 as his first shotgun and still uses it for anything that requires a shotgun.

• Like 1

The only problem I have ever had with Mossberg is buying one of their factory turkey barrels. Those things go quick. :D

• Like 1

Oh, I know how good they both are. I used a 870 for 26 years with my former job, so it is instinctive to operate for me. I do like the tang safety feature if I need to run it offhand. This one has had it's barrel chopped, metal beat up but with surprisingly decent wood on it. I will pick up one of the adapters to let it run the minishells too, just for fun. It will probably get the metal stripped, it has some kind of ugly paint on it right now, and get some Brownell's Alumahyde for the receiver.

Never had one.  Never shot one.  Never held one.  No Opinion.  So I'm no help at all.  Sorry Deacon.  But, it's Saturday Morning and I'm BORED so just thought I'd drop in :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Gonna be picking up a 500 tomorrow that is a true mud-puppy. While I know Remington 870s inside and out, I am new to the 500. What should I expect to find as possible problems inside the beast?

The most common issue I have found with used 500’s is weak ejection and mag tube spring. Both items are pretty cheap and easily replaced. I keep a couple extra of each on hand. Unless it’s just beat to hell there isn’t much on a 500 that can’t be easily repaired or replaced. 
Good luck LF. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DeaconKC in regards to internals. I spray the guts with Hornady One Shot CLP. Once dry I put a little Mobil 1 oil on the bolt and mechanical interfaces. For a while I greased the bolt but found keeping it oiled was good enough and it didn’t collect sand particles as easily. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ce1ae06213f96077b0c4a35746feeea3.jpeg
This one has an Adaptive Tactical stock and forend. It has a light on the forend and a shell holder. With a 7 round mag tube and the 6 shell holder I have 13 rounds on hand. I leave the chamber empty for effect if I need to grab it to ward off evil. I am a firm believer in the sound of a shotgun being racked being a very good deterrent.  I know it gets my attention. 

image.thumb.jpeg.38107f667ad8608633a99a65cbf1907d.jpeg
Here’s my other Mossberg 500 with a Shockwave grip. I gave the grip to a guy that truly wanted one for his home protection gun. It currently wears a Mossberg pistol grip. 

The one with the Adaptive Tactical accessories was shipped from the factory as a 7 shot “Cruiser” (I believe that’s what they called it). It had a pistol grip on it. This one would be legal to turn into a Shockwave with a 14” barrel, but I am not sure Mossberg sells those kits any longer. 

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Like 1

I had a Mossberg 500 that I used for trap shoot years ago. I sold it to my neighbor who hunts with it. It’s a great gun!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Never had one.  Never shot one.  Never held one.  No Opinion.  So I'm no help at all.  Sorry Deacon.  But, it's Saturday Morning evening and I'm BORED so just thought I'd drop in :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Deacon,I have a 500 that I bought in 1981, I used it for everything from skeet, deer hunting and in Hunter safety courses,I would say it has over 15000 rounds through it and I have never had a single problem with it. I did replace the springs in the trigger group with a set from Wolff gun spring, but that was to get a better trigger. Enjoy that shotgun!

• Like 2

Picked it up today, got a Cnote in it. Cleaned up okay, gotta get some aluminum black for the scuffs on the receiver.

Not to bash Mossberg, but I bought a 590 Retrograde just because of the beautiful walnut stock.  Problem was, you would get a blister on your thumb trying to push the safety button on and off.  Sometimes it was near impossible to get the button to move.  I immediately returned it the next day as I would not depend on that feature, and wondered why they put a plastic button on such a nice shotgun......

A steel safety is a common upgrade. Easy to fix. Like less than five minute fix.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.647d51e43adb692055b0787a915f3ca9.jpeg

image.jpeg.6b6fc49553c33b4a4f1fb340ad5e482a.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

image.jpeg.6b6fc49553c33b4a4f1fb340ad5e482a.jpeg

Nifty retro looking Mossberg.  I can’t tell from the photos, but is that checkering pressed into the wood?

The Mossberg that I gave to my daughter had a wood stock and the wood corncob forend. I tried to trade her another stock for it but she said she liked the warmth and the feeling of the wood. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Nifty retro looking Mossberg.  I can’t tell from the photos, but is that checkering pressed into the wood?

The Mossberg that I gave to my daughter had a wood stock and the wood corncob forend. I tried to trade her another stock for it but she said she liked the warmth and the feeling of the wood. 

Yup, pressed checkering. Gonna put a shell holder on the buttstock and pick up one of those adapters to let it run the shorty shells.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Yup, pressed checkering. Gonna put a shell holder on the buttstock and pick up one of those adapters to let it run the shorty shells.

How easy is that mini shell adapter to install and remove? 

Also, I have used stock shell holders and the frame mounted side saddles. I like the side saddles more. It’s easier to fill or top of the magazine from the side saddle for me. I have tried 4 different saddles. 
Tac-Star

Adaptive Tactical

And 2 brands that I cannot remember. 

The Tac-Star and the Adaptive Tactical models are good shell holders. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Also, I have used stock shell holders and the frame mounted side saddles. I like the side saddles more. It’s easier to fill or top of the magazine from the side saddle for me. I have tried 4 different saddles. 
Tac-Star

Adaptive Tactical

And 2 brands that I cannot remember. 

The Tac-Star and the Adaptive Tactical models are good shell holders. 

I'm pretty sure that the forend on this gun would interfere with a Side Saddle. He'd have to get a "corn cob" style to clear it. 

Notice how far back on the receiver it sits when cocked.

Is the Mossberg 500 a 'Best Buy' Shotgun? - The Shooter's Log Of course, there's nothing that says he couldn't replace it as well as the shoulder stock with a M4 type stock IF he wanted to...

MOSSBERG 500

• Like 1

Mossberg is the Rodney Dangerfield of US gun manufacturers, sometimes it seems. Don't get no respect. Now, that's an exaggeration, of course. But we think Colt, Winchester, Remington, Savage, Marlin, etc. But not so much Mossie, which has been making good guns here for generations.

I've bought shotguns in the past for daughters living in the big city-- always Mossies. I own a Mossberg 30-30 lever action (464) that I got at a Big 5 sale a few years back. A really fine gun and a great shooter. I really like it. But is it a Winchester 1894? or Marlin 336? No. Yet the quality is great.

What's in a name? As the Bard asked....

Edited by Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619
  • Like 2

Sarge going to that bottom style of buttstock negates the Mossberg's greatest advantage. You cant work the tang safety without giving up a shooting grip. Got a magnetic front fiber optic sight ordered, and gonna use a slip on shellholder for the time being.

• Like 1

Son and I walked into a gunshop for no particular reason.  I spotted a Mossberg 500 in slug gun configuration.  Sights and drilled and tapped for scope.  It was used but looked perfectly new. I bought it. We get back to his place and he talked me into swapping it with his 500 that was camouflaged and 30" barrel with screw in chokes. His argument was that Minnesota only allowed shotgun to hunt deer in half the state.  I tried to use it for rodent control with buckshot but soon figured out it shot about 18" low at 20 yards.  I had to hold the end bead well above the middle bead to hit anything.  

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'm pretty sure that the forend on this gun would interfere with a Side Saddle. He'd have to get a "corn cob" style to clear it. 

You may be right on your example gun, but his forend appears to be similar to mine on the photos I posted above. 

Here is my gun:

image.thumb.jpeg.fdaccf8a38a6928af9c7f2a672817964.jpeg

Here is a close up of the end of my forend that shows where it ends in relation to the action slide bars. His gun appears to have the same placement of the forend. If so a side saddle should work. 
IMG_0327.thumb.jpeg.2450d6b2089f49f4348eabec3938e91b.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

You may be right on your example gun, but his forend appears to be similar to mine on the photos I posted above. 

Here is a close up of the end of my forend that shows where it ends in relation to the action slide bars. His gun appears to have the same placement of the forend. If so a side saddle should work. 

A friend of mind had one like that and it wouldn't work. But we'll see if that's where he goes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

A friend of mind had one like that and it wouldn't work. But we'll see if that's where he goes.

Ah, okay. Yeah, if your buddy’s didn’t work it probably wouldn’t work on Deacon’s. 

My favorite forend is the “corn cob”. Unfortunately they’re getting hard to find unless you want to pay high prices on eBay.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

My favorite forend is the “corn cob”. Unfortunately they’re getting hard to find unless you want to pay high prices on eBay.

Corn cob forends are easy to find and cheap IF you go with plastic. Wood your probably going to pay up for unless you get lucky.  I have quite a few versions of forends on 500’s, several different wood and plastic versions. I think the best looking is the wood corn cob “riot gun” version, but for feel and function I really like the Hogue stock sets. They have the soft rubber over molding like there pistol grips. $70 for the set at most retailers, and a side saddle should fit with there forend. 
If you decide to change the forend make sure you measure the length of the metal frame the forend fits over. There are at least 3 version of length/style. Yours SHOULD be the longest version? 
2B282D3E-21B4-4138-8577-0E127EEEACFF.thumb.jpeg.912fc9f3bc95fedd20d6abbd6a8173de.jpeg975C53CB-569F-4205-81BF-0B4B370CEF71.thumb.jpeg.1186b09287d7d6bdbe49bb5dfb2344ef.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/21/2024 at 6:17 PM, Pat Riot said:

I’ll take a Mossberg over a Remington any day.

Why?
I own a 1980s 870 Wingmaster, never touched a Mossberg.

Just curious.

• Like 1

This one isn't getting anything fancy. It is the shotgun for the back end of the house, not my primary house gun. I want the fiber optic sight up front to grab my eyes and some extra ammo just in case...

Once the temps break a little bit, gonna take it to the range and see how big an area #4 Buck spreads out to at 7-10 yards.

• Like 2