SASS Wire Forum

Senior Living and property Taxes.

Once a week my wife visits a couple living down the street and helps them out. He's 83 and his wife is 81. They told her yesterday that they are going to be moving in with their son because they are losing their home because they can't and haven't been able to afford paying their property taxes which are over 4400.00 yearly. They said when they first bought the house 25 years ago, taxes were in the 700 range, but last 4 years have jumper and doubled.  They took an offer from a Buy-it-now company and paid their back taxes, but their dream are gone now.  As she told my wife, they don't make enough to pay Income Taxes, but property taxes and medical bills and lately everything is costing more doesn't leave much left.

Made me wonder if this happens much to seniors were property taxes cost them their lost of their homes?

• Sad 5

I expect this is going to happen a lot in some states.   California recognized this was an issue 40+ years ago and had prop 13.  Now you can even sell a house and buy a new one in the same tax area and keep your old tax base.  That came about due to retired people getting stuck in huge houses with low property tax.  Could not afford to sell the house as taxes on any new house would be too high.  

I am worried about this where I live, taxes are high and property has been going up a lot.  My taxes are 8k and property value has gone up 50% in less than 5 years.  

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Is this in Florida?

Something doesn't ring right. Mine has gone up every year but doubled...Not even close!

Yes. 23 years ago I bought my home for 93,000.00. Neighbor bought his a year later for 98,000.00. This year his home sold for 409,000.00. Homes in my HOA subdivision are selling in the 450 to 550,000.00 range now and property taxes have gone up tremendously here. My taxes were 1125. and now 3800.00.

Now as to people moving, just saying what they told the wife.

Heck, it seems like every 5 years we're paying tax payers money on new projects for the Jaguar Stadium changes, yet many roads are in dire need of repairs and widening to compensate for the traffic increase here.

Edited by Marshal Dan Troop 70448
  • Like 2

Just now, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Yes. 23 years ago I bought my home for 93,000.00. Neighbor bought his a year later for 98,000.00. This year his home sold for 409,000.00. Homes in my HOA subdivision are selling in the 450 to 550,000.00 range now and property taxes have gone up tremendously here. My taxes were 1125. and now 3800.00.

Now as to people moving, just saying what they told the wife.

Wow!

My taxes were running around 10k. It needed repairs and finishing an addition. I sold it to some guys whose intent was to upgrade it to the top of the market. They did that and sold it for 600k. Now the tax bill is around 13k.

remember though that there is no income or sales tax in NH.

AND we have the cheapest booze in the country AND we are #1 in gallons of ethanol consumed per capita in case your taxes drive you to drink.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984
  • Like 1

My tax bill has gone from under a thousand in 2001 to $14,250 now! Just the education tax is over 9K and goes up 3K a year as the student numbers drop over 100 a year. And we never had kids! Not sure how we're going to afford the Democrat future either! It's ridiculous and the folks with all the kids are renters and don't pay taxes!:angry: Our legislators claim that it's included in the rent, but the houses the live in are valued at less than half of a private home!

Oh and now they've decided we should pay for every kids school meals regardless of family income.:angry::FlagAm:

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Added text
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Is this in Florida?

Something doesn't ring right. Mine has gone up every year but doubled...Not even close!

Same here in Ohio in the town I live in. They've gone up but nowhere near doubled!

A legislator was heard here stating that the objective is to tax the senior natives out and bring the rich in from New Jersey and New York. It seems to be working, in the last year or so since the woo flu, I see lots of out of state vehicles on my rural road now. Even Kommiefornia!

Florida has a number of issues related to real estate.  Property insurance has become very expensive and difficult to get due to hurricanes and state laws.   Buying a condo n a building over 3 stories now comes with a hidden time bomb.  Due to the recent condo collapse which killed a bunch of people, all condos over a certain height and age  have to be inspected and certified by an engineer.    Many of these older condos have not been keeping up with maintenance and there is going to be huge assessments in the near future.  

It's not cheap living in paradise.

21 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Florida has a number of issues related to real estate.  Property insurance has become very expensive and difficult to get due to hurricanes and state laws.   Buying a condo n a building over 3 stories now comes with a hidden time bomb.  Due to the recent condo collapse which killed a bunch of people, all condos over a certain height and age  have to be inspected and certified by an engineer.    Many of these older condos have not been keeping up with maintenance and there is going to be huge assessments in the near future.  

It's not cheap living in paradise.

Homeowners insurance costs have gone thru the roof in Florida. Now Citizens Insurance (the insurer that people are forced to go to when no other companies will take them or are outrageously expensive) requires all policy holders to have flood insurance also...regardless of elevation. This requirement is being instituted in stages beginning with those near the coasts. If the escalating insurance costs continue, we'll be forced to go without insurance or at least hurricane insurance.

As far as condo's go, many of the high-rise condos are situated directly adjacent to salt water. Many of these building have never been maintained properly and many

were built shoddily during the 70's/80's when building inspectors were notorious for accepting bribes and payoffs to "look the other way". I've seen giant cracks and fissures in main foundations and structural, load bearing columns in 20+ story condos that are right on the beach.

One 20+ story condo had a 15' X 10' room on the second floor that housed the water softening equipment. The poured concrete floor of this room completely 'rotted' out (rebar, concrete, water pipes, electrical conduit/wire, everything) and fell into the parking area below. I repaired the electrical portion and they put (basically) a "permanent" band aid on the rest of it. Everytime I used to go into these condos that I knew were damaged, I always thought "Well, if it collapses, I won't feel anything, but I'll just be a bunch of goo by the time they find the remains" and that was well before the collapse in South Florida. There are some places on Sand Key in Pinellas County that I'll never go to again now that I don't have to for work reasons.

Back to the dilemma that Marshall Troop posted about. The doubling (mol) of taxes in 4 years is outrageous. M.T., have you contacted the county/city to inquire why the taxes have increased so dramatically? Has the property been reclassified in any way such as rezoned or had Homestead exemptions denied? Something just doesn't seem right in both your case and the couple you mentioned.

were it NOT for the Homestead  Act , I would be taxed out of my place 

went to see , the guy that has done all my front end work on the cars and trucks for over 20 years , the city has closed him down , due to the shop being in the 

entertainment area  , down town , now , I have to find another trusted guy for that work 

not a good time , for folks that have been in place for a long time 

CB 

15 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

were it NOT for the Homestead  Act , I would be taxed out of my place 

went to see , the guy that has done all my front end work on the cars and trucks for over 20 years , the city has closed him down , due to the shop being in the 

entertainment area  , down town , now , I have to find another trusted guy for that work 

not a good time , for folks that have been in place for a long time 

CB 

We have the Homestead Act here as well. But as luck would have it, every time we get a SS raise it gets more than deducted from the Act and the increased income tax. So we actually go backwards. Just loving Bidenomics and the Dems!

The county I live in reassessed in 2022 when housing prices were damnpanic crazy.  I don't live on a lake, but I live near one, so I also had "lake effect" added to my property valuation.  From 22 to 23 property tax went up 53%.

My closest neighbor - retired, modest ranch-style house on 6 acres - sold because of it.

• Sad 1

Colorado recognizes senior have a property tax problem. Property taxes are set at the county level. We seniors get some relief if you are over 65 and have lived in your residence for over 10 years, then you get $100,000 of your assessed valuation. My place is worth around $800,000 and my taxes are $1200. I have 6 acres, irrigation water shares, a 2 acre pond (which I irrigate out of and fish in), an rv storage barn and a 2850 sq ft 4 br, 3 bath home.

There was an citizens initiative that passed around 25 years ago called "Taxpayers Bill of Rights" which is called Tabor. No taxing agency can raise any taxes without a votes of the people. This has really kept out taxes in line with what they should be. The legislature has tried a lot of different ways to get around this by calling lots of taxes "fees" which are not subject to public vote. Lots of these new fees have been taken to court and had to be removed. 

Edited by Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Homeowners insurance costs have gone thru the roof in Florida. Now Citizens Insurance (the insurer that people are forced to go to when no other companies will take them or are outrageously expensive) requires all policy holders to have flood insurance also...regardless of elevation. This requirement is being instituted in stages beginning with those near the coasts. If the escalating insurance costs continue, we'll be forced to go without insurance or at least hurricane insurance.

As far as condo's go, many of the high-rise condos are situated directly adjacent to salt water. Many of these building have never been maintained properly and many

were built shoddily during the 70's/80's when building inspectors were notorious for accepting bribes and payoffs to "look the other way". I've seen giant cracks and fissures in main foundations and structural, load bearing columns in 20+ story condos that are right on the beach.

One 20+ story condo had a 15' X 10' room on the second floor that housed the water softening equipment. The poured concrete floor of this room completely 'rotted' out (rebar, concrete, water pipes, electrical conduit/wire, everything) and fell into the parking area below. I repaired the electrical portion and they put (basically) a "permanent" band aid on the rest of it. Everytime I used to go into these condos that I knew were damaged, I always thought "Well, if it collapses, I won't feel anything, but I'll just be a bunch of goo by the time they find the remains" and that was well before the collapse in South Florida. There are some places on Sand Key in Pinellas County that I'll never go to again now that I don't have to for work reasons.

Back to the dilemma that Marshall Troop posted about. The doubling (mol) of taxes in 4 years is outrageous. M.T., have you contacted the county/city to inquire why the taxes have increased so dramatically? Has the property been reclassified in any way such as rezoned or had Homestead exemptions denied? Something just doesn't seem right in both your case and the couple you mentioned.

Its because of increase in value and selling of homes the prices being received that has increased the value. The people that bought my neighbors home has Taxes higher then I have.

What's off is how school have increased in our tax bills, yet 3 schools are closing and we pay for the esteem school board which has its building located on prime property on the St John's River downtown.

Then you have to consider how our Tax money is going to renovation every several years to the Jaguar Stadium changes. Me and several others are keeping quiet because we have the lowest real estate taxes in our neighborhood even though it has gone up.

As to the 4 years, that's what the people my wife visits every week to help out. My Taxes have gone up to present, since 1998 Taxes when I bought the place.

This part of Arizona. possibly the whole state, had a plan to lock your taxes at the base value when yo bought the house.  I seem to remember that it only did that if you were 55 or older.  Not certain.  

Also my property taxes dropped about 5% when I became a widower.

This would lower taxes by a bunch if they'd ever get their &*^% together! Property taxes funding schools is unconstitutional according to the Ohio Supreme court, yet it still goes on! :angry:

https://www.wcpo.com/news/election-2020/despite-being-unconstitutional-ohios-school-funding-system-lives-on-how-is-it-hurting-students 

We are seeing alot of that up here , Since the Covid infux of people fleeing xxx state for a so called free state Home prices have doubled here for many areas . Example Bought said house for 200 k and now listed 440k so taxes , insurance have doubled and fixed income they cant absorb that, and I hate seeing it and well dont take nicely to the freedom freeloaders buying here . %&^& Them we are full .

5 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Colorado recognizes senior have a property tax problem. Property taxes are set at the county level. We seniors get some relief if you are over 65 and have lived in your residence for over 10 years, then you get $100,000 of your assessed valuation. My place is worth around $800,000 and my taxes are $1200. I have 6 acres, irrigation water shares, a 2 acre pond (which I irrigate out of and fish in), an rv storage barn and a 2850 sq ft 4 br, 3 bath home.

There was an citizens initiative that passed around 25 years ago called "Taxpayers Bill of Rights" which is called Tabor. No taxing agency can raise any taxes without a votes of the people. This has really kept out taxes in line with what they should be. The legislature has tried a lot of different ways to get around this by calling lots of taxes "fees" which are not subject to public vote. Lots of these new fees have been taken to court and had to be removed. 

Tabor or no, our taxes went from $4,200 to over $6,300 from the previous year!  Auto insurance with a company with whom I've had my insurance for over 60 years, just went up 6%, and we've had NO claims in years!  Groceries are out of control. Never mind claims that inflation is slowing, it ain't going DOWN! Paul Harvey used to tell the story about the old man who could remember when a dollar was worth a quarter! And that was years ago! :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When the family house came to me as 3rd generation owner, the trust attorney failed to do his job, and my Prop 13 protection was lost.
San Diego sent me a bill for $24,000 back taxes, plus another $16,000 yearly property tax.
All payable in 60 days or lose the property to a tax sale.

My attorney said this is a common practice to force the sale of the a property and reassess at the 1.1% of sale price for a permanent tax increase.
I covered the check, but it took two full years to get my Prop 13 restored, and my money returned, without interest.
The good news:  my refunded money was NOT on a 1099 which would have made me pay income taxes on my own money.

The CA voters have destroyed Prop 13 for heirs now.
To keep the exemption, the parent MUST live in the property as their primary residence at the time of their death.
The recipient also MUST live in the property as their full time residence.

We will be forced to divest the family home at my death, as $16,600 yearly taxes is not affordable.
This situation is what you get when Zero Liability Voters who do not own property, have a vote in taxing property.
And why the Founding Fathers originally specified only property owners could levy taxes.

Edited by bgavin
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Also a Colorado resident. Sure wish the taxes were as simple as Big Sage has. 14 acres in two lots, 12 in ag zoning, 2 in residential R-4. The smaller lot has a falling down, uninhabitable two story house that came with the property. The bigger (where I live) has a 1300 SF modular. Taxes on both more than doubled this year because the criminals in Denver office and their supporters (the dope smoking imports) decided to remove most of the TABOR protections so we could pay our “fair share”. We are dealing with the assessor (pictures and video) as to why a 2 acre parcel with no living quarters went from $101K to $225K!!! Our ag parcel went from $240K to $400k though all we do is raise hay for the critters and have changed nothing. Taxes with all the discounts we can find were $2200 and jumped to $5100. :blink: 
Being a property owner used to be a life goal and now is a trip through h€ll with all the neer do wells and greedy politicians trying to bankrupt those who actually worked and produced for this country. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Sad 4

Here in Vt the school tax is typically more than 80% of the tax bill, when I went to elementary school there were 8 grades. 4 teachers. A principal who counted as one of the teachers and a part time nurse. Now there are 21 cars or more in the parking lot every day and there are only 6 grades and less students then when I was there in the 70s. Now I know this is going to piss some folks off but if you want to have kids you should pay for them not me. I see no reason why my home should be at risk to pay for someone else’s kids. My tax assessment went up $264000,00 this year and more than 80% is going to pay for somebody else’s kid. That’s not right. It’s time to cut back on school spending or at the least swing the burden over onto those who create it. Population growth is way out of control even here in the US, we don’t need more kids. here in Vt the dumbercrats and libertards want everything for free and the best way to get “free money” is out of somebody else’s pocket so up go the taxes. Time for an old fart tax revolt. Dump a few politicians over the ship rail

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad this thread was started, that way I know which states/counties/jurisdictions to NOT relocate to or buy vacation property at or near. I knew several locations, like CA, had crazy property tax laws but I'll say that I'm surprised by some locations also. I get riled paying for some of the items listed on my tax bill but geez, a lot of ya'll have it much worse (so far) than I do. Hard to complain about the color of my shoes when I see a man with no legs.

I was told a while back that you really never own property or residence, paid off or not...I come to believe that to be true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

When the family house came to me as 3rd generation owner, the trust attorney failed to do his job, and my Prop 13 protection was lost.
San Diego sent me a bill for $24,000 back taxes, plus another $16,000 yearly property tax.
All payable in 60 days or lose the property to a tax sale.

My attorney said this is a common practice to force the sale of the a property and reassess at the 1.1% of sale price for a permanent tax increase.
I covered the check, but it took two full years to get my Prop 13 restored, and my money returned, without interest.
The good news:  my refunded money was NOT on a 1099 which would have made me pay income taxes on my own money.

The CA voters have destroyed Prop 13 for heirs now.
To keep the exemption, the parent MUST live in the property as their primary residence at the time of their death.
The recipient also MUST live in the property as their full time residence.

We will be forced to divest the family home at my death, as $16,600 yearly taxes is not affordable.
This situation is what you get when Zero Liability Voters who do not own property, have a vote in taxing property.
And why the Founding Fathers originally specified only property owners could levy taxes.

Does this mean that if your parent goes into a "nursing home", that their home is no longer their primary residence?

Most likely.

CA is doing everything they can to get rid of Prop 13.
They are hungry for tax money.
And the Zero Liability voters are more than willing to vote for this.

"I was told a while back that you really never own property or residence, paid off or not...I come to believe that to be true. "

This is true.  You rent the property from the bank, the tax collector and the building inspector.

Edited by bgavin
added quote
  • Like 1

I'm with Oakridge, let those that breed, pay for the deed. At very least there should be a cutoff age for education taxes. Starting to see way to many elderly lose their homes due to education taxes. It's just plain wrong.:angry:

• Like 2

Even buying a new home is a burden here. Home insurance is a hassle. Some insurance companies won't insure a home over 25 years old (Progressive). Some want you to put in a new water heater if over 5 years old, replace hoses on washers and all outlets, sinks and toilets. One even wants the roof replaced if over 12 years old and must get Flood Insurance also. Some require that plywood boards on roof have nails every 8 inches spaced and must have verification to show or need to re-roof even if its brand new.  Believe me, I just got new insurance since Farmers dropped out and it was a hassle. There are several in my neighborhood that I know of, don't carry home insurance. The one that Farmers recommended to us wanted 3400.00 plus 325 flood insurance. Lucky we found one at less then half, but still a hassle with all their requirements.

• Sad 1