SASS Wire Forum

Added an umbrella, just like they did in the old west…

Having shot some matches in the rain and looked enviously at my fellow cowboys with umbrellas, I’ve been intending to add one to my cart for a while. I browsed Amazon and Ebay several times thinking to find a mounting bracket for a deck umbrella that would work, but nothing was the right size or configuration for my purposes. This is what I came up with. Nothing complicated, but might save you time looking for parts.

My beach umbrella is from Amazon and the pole is 1.25” diameter. There’s a spike on the bottom for sticking in the ground. I cut most of that off, leaving a little as a pad so the metal pole didn’t dig into my cart. I drilled out the pin holding the spike in place so the pole fit the holder better. It has pretty substantial collar keeping it in place even without that pin.

I found some potable water pipe at Menards with a 1.25” ID to fit the umbrella. Thought the black was more attractive than white schedule 40.  Cut a top and bottom piece, drilled holes for the mounting screws (larger hole on the front side to allow a screwdriver).

On the bottom, I added a lock pin to keep my umbrella from pulling a Mary Poppins in the wind. On the top, I added a knob and bolt to tighten things up if needed. To mount the knob, I used a prong nut, but removed the prongs and curved the sides so it fit in the interior of the pipe. Added some epoxy to hold it in place.

Parts list:

Amazon

Knob (SKU: QNB3010)

Lock Pin (SKU: B08QMQLL5N)

Umbrella (SKU: B0B51V7JQ7)

Menards

Potable Pipe (SKU: 6899884)

1/4 - 20 x 5/16 Prong Nut (SKU: 2321075)

Wood Screws (sized according to your application. I used #8, 3/4”)

Stay Dry,

Bladesmith

IMG_6088.jpeg

IMG_6089.jpeg

IMG_6091.jpeg

IMG_6093.jpeg

IMG_6092.jpeg

Edited by Bladesmith, SASS 113085
Formatting
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

If the wind is blowing hard enough to knock over your cart, the umbrella probably isn't keeping the rain off too well I would think.  I have a regular personal umbrella (large size) that I can bungie down low on my cart if it is raining and it won't blow anything over, but it is a bit of a hassle getting under it to get to stuff in the cart.  I've only needed to use it a couple times, though.  As for keeping sun off the cart, I'll park in shade if there is any.  My cart doesn't have a seat and I'm working any time I'm not shooting so don't need anything for that.

• Like 3

In S Texas they are used more for shade than rain. But either way, if you have a huge umbrella on your cart be considerate of your fellow shooters and park cart away from “prime” cart locations as your umbrella takes up a lot of room and can be very hard to manouver around. 

• Like 5