Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

I'm not as up on military weaponry as I should be, probably


Alpo

Recommended Posts

Actually, there are two guns in the cartoon.

 

It's hard to tell what the gun on the right side of panel three is but it does look like a M1918. Pretty good detail also.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You also missed that the guy with the bolt action is a polar bear, not a raccoon?

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

But the raccoon's tranquilizer dart gun

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

NOT a BAR. There are two kinds of BARs: the M1918 rifle, and the civilian rifle. While BAR stands for Browning Automatic Rifle for both, they are very different guns. 

In any case, the gun in the cartoon is a bolt action. 

 

M1918:

Historical Firearms — The Home Guard & The BAR In June 1940, the US...

Civilian BAR:

BAR Mark II Safari - Semi-Auto Rifle - Browning

And that's an early BAR 1918: no carrying handle, no bipod, strange rear sight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the 1918 BAR played a big roll in the bonnie and clyde story , i see a lot of folks that hunt with that civilian style BAR up here come deer season , i think both are 3006 right ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

the 1918 BAR played a big roll in the bonnie and clyde story , i see a lot of folks that hunt with that civilian style BAR up here come deer season , i think both are 3006 right ? 

The modern BAR is available in a variety of chamberings from 243 Win to 338 Win Mag, including 30-06.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The modern BAR is available in a variety of chamberings from 243 Win to 338 Win Mag, including 30-06.

I guess it's too early to be awake. When he said "civilian style BAR", my mind immediately went to the Ohio Ordnance 1918 self-loading rifle.

https://www.oowinc.com/exclusives/semi-auto/1918a3-slr/

 

Only $7,500. And at what - 20 pounds - that should make a nice deer rifle.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was looking at their list of what comes with the gun.

 

Standard Package:
– Walnut 1918A3 SLR
– (2) 20rd. Magazines *
– Web Sling
– Bipod
– Carrying Handle
– Flash Hider *
– Bolt Hold Open Device
– Cleaning Kit
– Manual
Magnet
– Field Stripping and Cleaning USB Video

 

What would be the purpose of a magnet?

 

I noticed that several states have magazine restrictions, and cannot have 20 round magazines. In that case they send you 2 tens or 2 fifteens, depending. For only an additional $206.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You want to explain that a little bit?

 

Since brass is not magnetic, I don't see how a magnet could prevent brass from doing anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

You want to explain that a little bit?

 

Since brass is not magnetic, I don't see how a magnet could prevent brass from doing anything.

The receiver is magnetic.  The magnet sticks to the receiver and acts as armor.  There is no shell deflector to kick the brass outward, it rotates backwards against the receiver, then bounces outwards.  Look at the wear pattern in this video.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, watab kid said:

the 1918 BAR played a big roll in the bonnie and clyde story , i see a lot of folks that hunt with that civilian style BAR up here come deer season , i think both are 3006 right ? 

 

I own a Browning "BAR"  Mk. 3 in 300 Win Mag. It comes in many chamberings.

It's a great rifle, and I really like it. But the 'BAR' bit is pure puffery, and deceptive, really. It's not a "BAR' but Browning wants the customer to make a connection. Sort of like Henry has done.

 

Among other things, it is of course not an automatic rifle, it's a semi-auto. How often have we explained to people that semi-autos are not automatics?

 

And it is unrelated to the BAR in any other respect, except that Browning makes it. Well, marketing and the dollar rule, alas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was also a civilian model of the military style BAR called the Monitor, could be had with a shorter buttstock and barrel.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

The modern BAR is available in a variety of chamberings from 243 Win to 338 Win Mag, including 30-06.

ok , that makes sense , ive only seen them in 3006 but i have very limited exposure the RSAOs at the range have all the exposure at hunter sight in before deer opener , 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

 

I own a Browning "BAR"  Mk. 3 in 300 Win Mag. It comes in many chamberings.

It's a great rifle, and I really like it. But the 'BAR' bit is pure puffery, and deceptive, really. It's not a "BAR' but Browning wants the customer to make a connection. Sort of like Henry has done.

 

Among other things, it is of course not an automatic rifle, it's a semi-auto. How often have we explained to people that semi-autos are not automatics?

 

And it is unrelated to the BAR in any other respect, except that Browning makes it. Well, marketing and the dollar rule, alas.

interesting notations , i had not thought much of those things and really never looked close at the action to evaluate its aspect's but yes i had sorta surmised they were using the BAR name as a marketing leader , i guess it sorta worked on me as i drew the connection without researching and discovering didnt i ? 

Edited by watab kid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Here are some photos of my semi-auto BAR

image.thumb.jpeg.9da56c40625a440d8172f2329964598e.jpeg

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_9094.JPG

IMG_9100.JPG

 

And here are some photos of when I shot it off the bench at 200 yards

 

IMG_6306.JPG

IMG_6310.JPG

Edited by Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.