SASS Wire Forum

For you Nolan Ryan fans, interesting vid about No Hitter #7

I was watching baseball videos the other night and found this you might find interesting. Nolan was warming up for a game and just had nothing. He convinced the manager to at least give him one inning. The rest is history.

JHC

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Another interesting one.

JHC

Wow and 16 strikeouts too!

• Like 1

When I was down in Alvin TX. Our chemical plant was adjecent to his ranch and many times we would see him riding the fencelines and he would always wave at us. Was lucky later to get and still have an autographed baseball and picture from him. 

For many of us old timers, there were and are only 2 players we considered great and played hurt compared to todays players, Mickey Mantle and Nolan Ryan. Always wondered how Mickey would do against Nolan also.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Another interesting one.

JHC

"Discussing with our producer whether we should stay with it."
MAN!!!! They would have torn the station down, burned it and salted the Earth beneath it if the station had gone away from it.

STILL exciting after all these years.

• Haha 2

Nolan Ryan never won a Cy Young award. There’s something wrong with that!

Nolan Ryan wasn’t unanimously voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.  There’s something wrong with that!!

Nolan Ryan only won one World Series ring.  There’s something sad about that too.

If I could build an all time starting lineup for a baseball team, Nolan Ryan would be my starting pitcher and Mariano Revera would be my relief pitcher.  Mattingly at first, Rod Carew at second, Ozzie Smith at shortstop, Mike Schmidt at third, my catcher would be Thurmon Munsen, Mantle in right, Mays in center, and Clemente in left.

This is strictly off the cuff!  Those are the guys that I remember watching as a kid and as a fan of baseball. Several of them had their careers or their lives cut short. 

Some of these guys played for decades and played every day, hurt or not.  The old question was, “Are you injured or just hurt?”  If you were injured you got taken out of the game. If you were only hurt, rub a little dirt on it and let’s play ball!!

Ryan was one of those guys!! I’m forever a fan of the man!!  As a pitcher, he’s the patern that every manager should judge prospects by! He threw the ball! You never saw him peck around the strike zone. His attitude was, “Here’s my best. If you can hit it fine! If not, I win!  Either way, NEXT BATTER!

He’s one of the main reasons that I love this game!!

• Like 2

Hard lineup to argue! I might vote for Johnny Bench or Pudge Rodriguez for catcher (Ranger bias). Rivera was certainly something else. Here's the cutter let's see can you hit it. Batters rarely did! Arguably the GOAT of closers!

JHC

• Thanks 1

Catcher? Don't leave Yadi Molina off that list.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Catcher? Don't leave Yadi Molina off that list.

Mike Piazza and Gary Carter deserve consideration too, but Thurman Munson’s career was cut short by a tragic plane crash! 

He should be in the hall of fame!

Here’s a dozen reasons why I chose him’

1: Rookie of Year and MVP- the only Yankee to hold both awards until Aaron Judge in 2022.

2: Seven All-Star appearances in 11 years!!

3: Two World Championships and Three League Titles

4: Three Gold Glove Awards

5: Sporting News starting American League catcher for the decade of the 1970s.

6: Three seasons .300 and 100 RBI

7: Four seasons of 180 hits

8: Five seasons .300 (only 3 catchers had done before and now only 10 in total)

9: .357 with 22 RBI in 30 games in the postseason.

10: Six seasons with 4 WAR

11: From 1969-1979, only 13 players had higher total WAR and Johnny Bench was only catcher with higher WAR

12:  For the 1970s, Munson led all catchers in the AL in hits, runs, doubles, RBI, and batting average.

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 1

@Blackwater 53393 I'm not debating any one you listed, I was speaking of durability, playing hurt and the ability to get the most out of his battery mates.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

@Blackwater 53393 I'm not debating any one you listed, I was speaking of durability, playing hurt and the ability to get the most out of his battery mates.

So was I!  Check this out! I didn’t know half of what’s there and I was convinced before reading it!!

https://munsonhof.com

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Working on my phone and laptop. Also worked on Hatfield’s phone.

Search “Thurman Munson Hall of Fame”!  It’s about a three minute read!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Irish Pat said:

Yoga Berry seven world series rings

Yogi Berra

• Like 1

Yup, his no-hitters were awesome but how about those 6 hits Robin Ventura got off him?

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2024 at 9:45 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Nolan Ryan never won a Cy Young award. There’s something wrong with that!

Nolan Ryan wasn’t unanimously voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.  There’s something wrong with that!!

Nolan Ryan only won one World Series ring.  There’s something sad about that too.

If I could build an all time starting lineup for a baseball team, Nolan Ryan would be my starting pitcher and Mariano Revera would be my relief pitcher.  Mattingly at first, Rod Carew at second, Ozzie Smith at shortstop, Mike Schmidt at third, my catcher would be Thurmon Munsen, Mantle in right, Mays in center, and Clemente in left.

This is strictly off the cuff!  Those are the guys that I remember watching as a kid and as a fan of baseball. Several of them had their careers or their lives cut short. 

Some of these guys played for decades and played every day, hurt or not.  The old question was, “Are you injured or just hurt?”  If you were injured you got taken out of the game. If you were only hurt, rub a little dirt on it and let’s play ball!!

Ryan was one of those guys!! I’m forever a fan of the man!!  As a pitcher, he’s the patern that every manager should judge prospects by! He threw the ball! You never saw him peck around the strike zone. His attitude was, “Here’s my best. If you can hit it fine! If not, I win!  Either way, NEXT BATTER!

He’s one of the main reasons that I love this game!!

I suppose so because it’s an all time team but you wouldn’t need a relief pitcher.  <_<

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I suppose so because it’s an all time team but you wouldn’t need a relief pitcher.  <_<

What’s Mariano Revera, chopped liver?? :rolleyes: :lol: