SASS Wire Forum

Thoughts on Levering Shotguns?

9 hours ago, Trouble on the Rhein said:

Not bad, had some good fun, came in last. But thats good, only up from here. Everyone there was very kind and courteous, one person let me borrow their extra set of guns, another had a gunbelt to borrow, another had a shotgun shell holder, overall i had a great time.

I did try and pay it back by helping them paint the targets for the next day.

The 'hook' is firmly set ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Trouble on the Rhein said:

Not bad, had some good fun, came in last. But thats good, only up from here. Everyone there was very kind and courteous, one person let me borrow their extra set of guns, another had a gunbelt to borrow, another had a shotgun shell holder, overall i had a great time.

I did try and pay it back by helping them paint the targets for the next day.

Congratulations I shot my first cowboy match 22 years ago. Will be hard to find a friendlier bunch of folks!

• Like 1

My Chinchester 87 works great full disclosure LASSITER did his magic on it.  Works great with federal, winchester, remington shells ejects with no problem if I do my part.  The lever is designed to be worked not limp wristed babied on opening.  There is one Issue Fiocci Clear plastic shells do not eject, they are some what longer than the normal run of the mill shells like federal, remmington or winchester.  I have taken to roll crimping as I have a bunch of the clear fiocci hulls from shooting sporting clays.  I have also found the old hand cranked antique roll crimpers actually do as well in terms of crimp and time to crimp as the drill press mounted crimping tool and hull vise.  YMMV.  The 1887s are really fun and hey super style points awarded every match as well.

• Like 1

In Ohio, the 1887 is a pretty commonly used shotgun. It’s not really a surprise due to Lassiter being here. 

The 1887 is a shotgun that requires a ton of practice to be even mildly proficient with, even more practice is required to be competitive with one. This is usually why you don’t see a lot of them used. 

• Like 2