SASS Wire Forum

Liberace

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Amazing piano player!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Amazing piano player!

And... Showman.  He was a great Entertainer that added humor to his talent.

..........Widder

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Little Richard referred to himself as "The Black Liberace."

Close but no cigar, in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Little Richard referred to himself as "The Black Liberace."

Close but no cigar, in my opinion.

Liberace could out play Little Richard with one hand!B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Liberace was my piano hero at age 5, and the reason I started playing.
Back in those days it was black tux, the candelabra and straight.
One of my favorite tracks is him playing Chopsticks at Carnegie Hall, and rocking it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Used to watch his TV show when I was a kid.  One show had him at his home pool, shaped like a piano complete with keys, which he "played" on by  running from one key to the next .  Great showman, amazing piano player.

• Like 1

His brother George was an accomplished violinist and arranger and composer. Here’s some interesting info on George.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Liberace

• Thanks 2

Watching the background faces in this video, I see he was starting clocks that hadn't run in 50 years.

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

His brother George was an accomplished violinist and arranger and composer. Here’s some interesting info on George.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Liberace

Made me wonder, what was liberace’s first name, Władziu Valentino Liberace[.  I see why he went by the mononym, Liberace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I remember Liberace’s TV show. I remember saying at school how much I loved the way he played the piano. I also remember a few kids calling me names, as you could imagine. I also remember getting paddled for punching a few punks that pushed things too far. 
I wanted to learn to play the piano. My Dad could play. He was actually a very good Boogie-Woogie piano player and he also played like Jerry Lee Lewis. But, for some reason he didn’t want me to learn the piano. 

This is a pretty good article on Liberace.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/jun/07/liberace-10-things-to-know

• Thanks 1

I can remember having to watch Liberace at my German Grandmother's house.  She loved it.  He was one fine piano player, but too schmaltzy and over the top for me.  I think it was B&W TV!

When I moved to Las Vegas in 1996 - I hired a young lady as a manager for one of my stores.

She used to tell me about when she was a kid walking to school; she would pass Liberaces gate house everyday.

She would, as a prank, press the call button on the gate and then continue on her way.

So one morning, she presses the call button and Liberaces voice responds, "If you're just going to leave and not going to talk with me - please stop pressing the button"

She says, "I'm sorry - I was just having fun - I would talk with you but I have to go to school".

And he says, "When you are on your way back home; buzz me and talk to me then."

So she did.

For the remainder of her school year; she would stop everyday on her way home and talk to Liberace thru his intercom system from his gate.

They would discuss her grades and school - he would tell her if he was going to be traveling.

She said he would never come to the gate; because others would stop and he didn't like attention at his home.

And she said never met or spoke to him face to face - but unless he had told her otherwise; he was always there and waiting to talk - they had dozens upon dozens of conversations at his intercom.

Always struck me as a little sad that even with great wealth and fame - he felt trapped and that an afternoon discussion with a school age kid was a high point of his day. 

• Like 1