SASS Wire Forum

"DON'T SHOOT OTHER PEOPLE'S RELOADS!!!"

Alpo

We've all heard that. We all know that.

But why?

Are you worried that they're going to blow your gun up? Or are you worried that when they blow your gun up they're going to take your hand with it?

Often the advice is given to newbies to go to a match and let them know that you're new and people will let you try their guns, and that way you can see what you would like. Whether you need that four clicks, or the new model Ruger will work for you. Whether you need adjustable sights or you can make it with that hog trough. If you want a plow handle or a Bisley or a #5.

And that is great advice. I agree with it completely. However

Just about everybody that plays this game reloads. You have to, unless you're rich as hell.

Which means if I let you use my Ruger Bisley to try it out, the ammo I give you to try it out with came out of my press.

Wonder if anyone thinks about that. I've let other people use my guns. Not just at a Cowboy match, but simply at a range where someone expressed appreciation, and I would be feeling generous and ask them if they would like to try a shot or two. I've shot other people's guns, the same way. And almost always, when I let someone shoot my guns, they're shooting my reloads in them. Logic says that frequently I've shot other people's reloads in their guns.

Their reloads in their guns? That’s fine with me. 
Their reloads in my guns? No flippin’ way!

Unknown rounds, reloads or not? No way. 

I have seen way too many squibs and double charges to use someone else’s ammo or unknown (not factory)  ammo in my guns. Even good friend’s ammo. I thank them then decline. 

• Like 3

I've loaned pistols, rifle and shotguns to fellow competitors on different occasions. If I didn't trust their reloads, I requested that they use my reloads but the vast majority of them I trusted to use their own reloads including shotgun shells. There have been a few that if they wanted to use my guns, they had to use my reloads or not use the guns.

If someone wants to try out a gun I own at a range, it's my ammo or they don't get to try it out...period. I'm not real sure how they would blow my hand up while they are shooting the gun but it doesn't matter...my gun, my ammo.

It's kind of funny when I think about it. I've loaned guns for State matches to people that I didn't even know their real names. They weren't on the same posse as me, stayed in a different hotel than me, shot on a different shift than I did and I never saw them again until the awards ceremony. Still the guns were returned in as good condition as I had loaned them in. I did this on occasion for years...until one didn't come back in the same condition...it came back with a jerry-rigged forearm that wasn't on the gun when it was loaned, improperly installed, never mentioned that it had been replaced and then denied that it was replaced. That was the end of me loaning guns.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If I know someone really well and have shot with them I'll use their reloads but not from someone I don't know very well. 

• Like 1

This isn’t regarding Alpo’s question. This has more to do with why I will not shoot “found ammo”.

A little story about an ex-friend of mine. 

This guy would show up at our monthly work retreat shoots out in the desert of California.  
He loved doing things liked shooting his Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum with saucy loads then shooting them. He would offer to let others shoot his Ruger but he would load it with really hot “Ruger only” loads then laugh his butt off when his “friend” would pull the trigger and sprain his wrist (me) or bust a gash in a friend’s middle finger (another buddy of mine).

This was funny to this moron. He also did this with .357 Magnum loads in his other Blackhawks. 

I went to an indoor range with him where I was a member. We were shooting revolvers and he offered to let me try his Blackhawk again. :angry: I told him to do something impossible with himself. He laughed. 
When we left the shooting range area and were at the counter paying he said “Oh, I forgot something.” and he went back into the shooting range. He came back a minute later grinning. 
We paid and left the range and as I was pulling out of the parking lot he says “Hey, you want to hear something funny?”

”Sure.”

”I salted the range.”

”You what? What’s that mean?”

“I left a couple of my hot .44 and .357 rounds laying on the rear bench in the range. I would love to see the look on someone’s face after they shoot one of those.”

”YOU WHAT? What the hell is wrong with you? Are you trying to get somebody hurt or killed?” (I toned that sentence down from what was actually said)

I did a u-turn and went back to the range and retrieved the ammo. 

He admitted to doing this stuff all the time.

He is an Ex-Friend. Me and my buddies shunned Mike. Since that time he has joined and been kicked out of 2 rifle clubs and 1 indoor range that I am aware of. 

If I see stray rounds lying about at the range I either turn them in or keep them and tear them down. I would hate to see someone get a “Mike Round”. 

• Sad 3

34 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

This isn’t regarding Alpo’s question. This has more to do with why I will not shoot “found ammo”.

A little story about an ex-friend of mine. 

This guy would show up at our monthly work retreat shoots out in the desert of California.  
He loved doing things liked shooting his Ruger Blackhawk .44 Magnum with saucy loads then shooting them. He would offer to let others shoot his Ruger but he would load it with really hot “Ruger only” loads then laugh his butt off when his “friend” would pull the trigger and sprain his wrist (me) or bust a gash in a friend’s middle finger (another buddy of mine).

This was funny to this moron. He also did this with .357 Magnum loads in his other Blackhawks. 

I went to an indoor range with him where I was a member. We were shooting revolvers and he offered to let me try his Blackhawk again. :angry: I told him to do something impossible with himself. He laughed. 
When we left the shooting range area and were at the counter paying he said “Oh, I forgot something.” and he went back into the shooting range. He came back a minute later grinning. 
We paid and left the range and as I was pulling out of the parking lot he says “Hey, you want to hear something funny?”

”Sure.”

”I salted the range.”

”You what? What’s that mean?”

“I left a couple of my hot .44 and .357 rounds laying on the rear bench in the range. I would love to see the look on someone’s face after they shoot one of those.”

”YOU WHAT? What the hell is wrong with you? Are you trying to get somebody hurt or killed?” (I toned that sentence down from what was actually said)

I did a u-turn and went back to the range and retrieved the ammo. 

He admitted to doing this stuff all the time.

He is an Ex-Friend. Me and my buddies shunned Mike. Since that time he has joined and been kicked out of 2 rifle clubs and 1 indoor range that I am aware of. 

If I see stray rounds lying about at the range I either turn them in or keep them and tear them down. I would hate to see someone get a “Mike Round”. 

He ought to get his ass kicked...real good. Blanket party with rolls of quarters would work real good....idiot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I often let people shoot my guns, as long as it is factory ammo, my reloads or their black powder rounds in my rifle, pistol or modern shotgun.

However, I am VERY careful about who I let shoot one of my antique British shotguns.  Fixing one of those can get very expensive.