SASS Wire Forum

"I hate (Westerns). Really can't stand 'em."

"I hate (Westerns). Really can't stand 'em. They always are the same. You have so few plots--the stagecoach holdup, the rustlers, the mortgage gag, the mine setting, and the retired gunslinger."

As a young man, George Hayes, the son of hotelier and oil-production manager, worked in a circus and played semi-pro baseball while a teenager. He ran away from home at 17, in 1902, and joined a touring stock company. He married Olive Ireland in 1914 and the pair became quite successful on the vaudeville circuit. Retired in his 40s, he lost much of his money in the 1929 stock market crash and was forced to return to work. Although he had made his film debut in a single appearance prior to the crash, it was not until his wife convinced him to move to California and he met producer Trem Carr that he began working steadily in the medium. He played scores of roles in Westerns and non-Westerns alike, finally in the mid-1930s settling in to an almost exclusively Western career. He gained fame as Hopalong Cassidy's sidekick Windy Halliday in many films between 1936-39. Leaving the Cassidy films in a salary dispute, he was legally precluded from using the "Windy" nickname, and so took on the sobriquet "Gabby," and was so billed from about 1940. One of the few sidekicks to land on the annual list of Top Ten Western Boxoffice Stars, he did so repeatedly. In his early films, he alternated between whiskered comic-relief sidekicks and clean-shaven bad guys, but by the later 1930s, he worked almost exclusively as a Western sidekick to stars such as John Wayne, Roy Rogers, and Randolph Scott. 

After his last film, in 1950, he starred as the host of a network television show devoted to stories of the Old West for children, "The Gabby Hayes Show."

In real life he was the exact opposite of the characters he played on film. He was well read, well-groomed, serious, and highly philosophical. (IMDb)

Happy Birthday, George "Gabby⁰" Hayes!

FB_IMG_1715171448949.thumb.jpg.b962565d2a9ae671cddc46d64ba0b8c8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I read somewhere where he would pull up to the studio in a fancy car, either a Caddy or Lincoln dressed in a finely tailored suit. He then went inside, took his teeth out and got into character. Great actor!B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In Mr Deeds Goes To Town, he had a small part. Mr Deeds had decided to give away his money. He would buy this bunch of small farms. A house, a barn, I think it was 10 acres, a mule, a plow and a cow. And he would give these to farmers. And they had a certain amount of time to make a going farm out of it - one year, five years, I don't remember. But if the farm was a going concern by the time that that time period was up, the deed would be transferred to them. It would be their farm. Gabby was one of the farmers hoping to get a farm.

136113.jpg.1681993daa7e417a14f1c671242cb491.jpg

So they're all there in the living room - Mr Deeds and his flunky and a hundred or so farmers. Deeds tells his flunky that he's hungry, and ask him to send down to the kitchen for some food. Gabby informs him that his wife had packed him some sandwiches, and opens up a sack and offers him one.

MV5BMTQwNzQ2NTc5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDQ0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What's the 'mortgage gag'?

hqdefault.jpg

Ah, Sweet Nell. The mortgage is due. If you cannot pay me I will have to throw you out in the snow. Unless you agree to marry me.

• Like 1