SASS Wire Forum

Vanessa, a German chimney sweep

Story I found on the web

Vanessa, who is a chimney sweep, was coming from work when I photographed her in Cologne, Germany a few months ago. She shared with me her vivid childhood memories, when a chimney sweep would visit her house from time to time to clean the chimneys. His presence fascinated her, and his departure left behind a sense of security within the family. At the age of 13, Vanessa decided to become a chimney sweep as well and began learning the trade. Then she started to work at only 16.

main-qimg-e01ad90a47cc285504b1cd6e75d2d862

Being a chimney sweep is a hazardous occupation, with Vanesa constantly ascending to great heights on rooftops. It demands strength, courage and resilience. Vanessa has them all, and, moreover, she loves what she does.

Within her closely-knit community, ancient traditions are still held dear. Vanessa’s beautiful uniform not only provides her with fire protection but also serves as a representation of the ancient community she belongs to. As I photographed Vanesa, people from the street would approach her to ask to touch the buttons on her clothing, as it is a local tradition believed to bring good luck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

My parents told me to always shake hands with a chimney sweep for good luck.  I've only seen one in the last thirty-five years when we went back to Utah to visit family.....and he was in a 24th of July (Utah statehood day) parade.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My parents told me to always shake hands with a chimney sweep for good luck.  I've only seen one in the last thirty-five years when we went back to Utah to visit family.....and he was in a 24th of July (Utah statehood day) parade.

That's what they said in Mary Poppins.

Chim chimmery Chim chimmery Chim Chim cheree. A sweep is as lucky as lucky can be.

Chim chimery Chim chimery Chim Chim cherroo. Good luck will rub off when I shake hands with you.

Edited by Alpo
the most annoying thing about otto is how after you proofread, and click post, he will then change what you wrote
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Chim chimmery Chim chimmery Chim Chim cheree. A sweep is as lucky as lucky can be.

Chim chimery Chim chimery Chim Chim cherroo. Good luck will rub off when I shake hands with you.

HUH!  I've watched that movie a dozen times and never caught on to that.  Thanx.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Didn't know that, thanks...really.

I think that touching her buttons would not bring me good luck at all according to Mrs. Sun

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Didn't know that, thanks...really.

I think that touching her buttons would not bring me good luck at all according to Mrs. Sun

Maybe counting the bumps on the top of your head might....

Texas Lizard

• Haha 4

I did not notice this until I went looking for the clip. The second person he shakes hands with - the man in the top hat - pats the little boy on the head. I've also heard that it's lucky to pat a redhead on the head. Maybe that guy was making double sure - shake hands with a sweep and pat a redheaded boy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I did not notice this until I went looking for the clip. The second person he shakes hands with - the man in the top hat - pats the little boy on the head. I've also heard that it's lucky to pat a redhead on the head. Maybe that guy was making double sure - shake hands with a sweep and pat a redheaded boy.

Or wiping the chimney soot off his hand.

• Haha 2

Back when i owned a house with a fire place insert I called a local chimney sweep every year to clean and inspect it before the first fire of the season.

I was taught that paying a chimney sweep every year was cheap insurance. I was taught the same about having my home inspected and sprayed for termites every year.

She can sweep my chimney anytime!:wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can recall chimney sweeps visiting our home when I was a young child.

That: the big coal furnace in the basement, the coal bin as well as the kindling and a couple of types of coal my parents would order.

I think coke for the fall and spring and anthracite for winter.

Galvanized ash cans for the ashes, put out on garbage day, although some was used on the walk and driveway.