SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1878 Coach Issue

Windy City Kid

Heads up to anyone looking to pick up a new Cimarron 1878 Coach with external hammers (made by ZMEM CO. PRC). I picked up one new last August and had less than 40 rounds through it before the left hammer spring broke. I shipped it back to Cimarron after only a week, who then sent it off to their local gunsmith. First, I have to say Bobby at Cimarron and Chris (the gunsmith) at Midway Guns and Ammo were both very pleasant and forthright to deal with. As they did not have the hammer spring in stock, one was taken from a cannibalized 1878 that was there. I got the SXS back in December. I immediately took it to the range. The springs were fine, except after the first trigger pull, the barrel would flop open, and of course the second trigger pull did nothing as the barrel was now open. I thought maybe I was keeping my thumb on the lever, and thereby causing it move when firing. Came back with more shells. same thing. The SXS lever locks fine, is not loose, nor does it have over travel to the left. . Fires fine first round, and if I hold the fore-end up and tight, it stays locked and of course fires fine on round #2. When its lock closed, its tight, it will not open. I spoke to both the gunsmith, and Cimarron. They claim the issue is the bolt is not engaging far enough on the barrel lug bite, and inertia of the shot is causing it to open. It's not a spring issue, but the actual bolt itself (not long enough??). They have no immediate guess as to when the part will be available, and in fact have a stack of new SXS waiting on that part. This is my back-up to my CZ Sharptail, and of course would like a working brand new SXS. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Sorry to hear this. I will say, if you like CZs, look at their Hammer Double, I love mine, it is a freaking tank.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windy City Kid said:

They claim the issue is the bolt is not engaging far enough on the barrel lug bite, and inertia of the shot is causing it to open. It's not a spring issue, but the actual bolt itself (not long enough??).

This usually IS a problem with the opening lever spring having been lightened or replaced.   Longhunter used to have some good V springs for the lever, IIRC. 

I would first check that the sliding bolt has correct engagement.   The slot it slides is not fouled with crud preventing bolt from engaging.   Lugs on barrel not damaged preventing engagement.  

If the bolt is not wide enough to reach into the barrel lug, then I'd weld up to add more material to that bolt - "just a chunk of steel."    But I've never heard of an 1878 wearing out it's locking bolt.  

good luck, GJ

• Like 1

Howdy Windy,

What Garrison said about checking the sliding bolt to see that it is engaging fully, This business of the barrels unlocking upon firing the first barrel is a common problem on Stoeger SxS's. The problem is often attributed to having a lightened spring, though some times (like in my Stoeger) it was not the lightened spring but the bolt catching on a poorly machined locking lug area. Once opened up a bit the problem went away. On the Stoeger it is the spring that pushes the bolt into battery so the bolt needs to have the clearance to fully engage. I don't know how the bolt is pushed into the barrel lug on a Cimarron but it might be worth checking.

Rev. Chase

• Like 3

This is very interesting. I have two of the Cimarron 1878 12 gauge 20” hammer guns in the house. Wife and I use them as backups mostly. These are maybe 2 years old, have not been shot a lot and have functioned without complaint. I have lightened the springs also. The odd thing is these guns are marked Cimarron with no embellishments and blued not case colored. The only other marking is on the water table. Stamped in is Daudsons Armoury Peshawar, Pakistan. I wonder how many sources Cimarron uses for the same model?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Lead Monger said:

This is very interesting. I have two of the Cimarron 1878 12 gauge 20” hammer guns in the house. Wife and I use them as backups mostly. These are maybe 2 years old, have not been shot a lot and have functioned without complaint. I have lightened the springs also. The odd thing is these guns are marked Cimarron with no embellishments and blued not case colored. The only other marking is on the water table. Stamped in is Daudsons Armoury Peshawar, Pakistan. I wonder how many sources Cimarron uses for the same model?

Howdy Lead Monger.  There were a very limited number of the '78's from Daudsons.  More polish than the Chinese "TTN" version.  Not sure if they are as rugged since there probably haven't been many of them put to hard use.

• Like 3