SASS Wire Forum

Federal Primer Sleeves vs Others

Pat Riot

Does anyone know why Federal went to these new fatter primer boxes / sleeves? 

Personally, I like the thinner primer sleeves. They take up less room and are easier to work with. The primers lay flat and they don’t have those annoying tabs to flip up to get them open. 

IMG_6496.thumb.jpeg.346c83328104cce9eba9aeccbf42c4fd.jpeg

• Like 4

Transport safety. 

The thinner sleeves can be set off by dropping something on them 

Oriented that way they are individually protected.

No company WANTS to spend more money on packaging than necessary 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've been reloading for 16 years and can only remember Federal primers coming that way.  When I asked at the LGS about the difference in packaging vs other brands I was told it was because Federals are, "more sensitive."  The more sensitive gun shop rumor is not really true, but apparently either FedEx or UPS managed to drop kick a package of Federal's hard enough to set a few primers off, which made Federal change their packaging over transport concerns.    

Edit:  For clarification, when I say the rumor is not really true, I am referring to Federals being more prone to detonating if a box of primers is dropped vs another brand.  I am not talking about the effort/mainspring needed to pop one off in a firearm.

Edited by July Smith
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, July Smith said:

I've been reloading for 16 years and can only remember Federal primers coming that way

I could swear that these new fat boxes are a recent thing. Perhaps the Gold Medal primers came in the fat boxes and others were in flats?

Honestly, I thought it was a packaging gimmick to make people feel better about spending a hundred bucks per a thousand primers.
Bigger box, less sting. The psychology of marketing and all that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I could swear that these new fat boxes are a recent thing. Perhaps the Gold Medal primers came in the fat boxes and others were in flats?

Honestly, I thought it was a packaging gimmick to make people feel better about spending a hundred bucks per a thousand primers.
Bigger box, less sting. The psychology of marketing and all that.

I've been reloading for 30+ years, I don't recall Feds coming any other way. I do like the way Win/CCI/etc., are packaged...makes it a lot easier in the flip tray.

• Like 8

In addition, truth be told, I really don’t care for Federal primers. I prefer CCI. I do believe that Federal primers have thinner cups. I don’t know if their primer mixture is more sensitive that others. It seems that it might be. 

Twice I have witnessed dropped cartridges with Federal primers in them on gravel and rocks and the rounds went off. One was a 30-30 low pressure/low velocity round with a lead bullet that I dropped. The other was, I believe, a .44 Special round my friend hand loaded. Neither one caused injury. Both popped loudly. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've been reloading for 30+ years, I don't recall Feds coming any other way. I do like the way Win/CCI/etc., are packaged...makes it a lot easier in the flip tray.

It very well might be that I am mistaken. OR the Federal primers I have used were older. Like I said I prefer and usually buy CCI primers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Twice I have witnessed dropped cartridges with Federal primers in them on gravel and rocks and the rounds went off. One was a 30-30 low pressure/low velocity round with a lead bullet that I dropped. The other was, I believe, a .44 Special round my friend hand loaded. Neither one caused injury. Both popped loudly. 

I am willing to bet money that the Federal primer was pure coincidence.  The most likely cause was a high primer, the second was the perfect scenario of a rock or other piece of grit just so happening to function as a firing pin. 

Edited by July Smith

I bought a brick of Federal small rifle primers from a fellow shooter who bought them by mistake thinking they were pistol primers.  They wouldn't go bang out of their Rugers with whimpy springs. I used them in my 32WCF in rifle with no problems.  But hate how they were packaged. 

• Like 2

I’ve been reloading for 20+ yrs and Federals have always been packaged like that !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Personally, I miss this style of box.

30972834_2.jpg?v=8D6087E1D19B770

I also miss the price of that style of box - between 90 and 95 cents each.

I miss the price but I don't miss the box/packaging. I spilt more primers with that design than any other. I do remember buy them at a place called Sports Unlimited for 95 cents per hundred. Back then, I didn't reload much, $10 worth of primers went a LONG way. These days, not so much.

• Like 1

Okay. So I am mistaken, never wrong, by the way. ;)

Perhaps I am thinking of Winchester small pistol primers?…

I do recall buying Gold Medal Large Rifle packaged in the fat sleeves. 

Regardless, I’ll not be buying Federal primers in the future if I can get my hands on CCI or even Winchester. I would take Sellier & Bellot primers over Federal. 
I just don’t like how soft they are when priming cases. It’s like shaking hands with a limp-wrister. (Insert the creeps here)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I like federal primers and don't mind the big packaging but really dislike those aggravating tabs. 

I was in a bad mood and working on loading up some .38 Special wadcutter rounds. I completely forgot about those (bleeping) tabs and couldn’t get the tray out, so I did what I am sure I wasn’t the first to do, I held onto the sleeve and popped my index finger against the tray (kind of like poking somebody in the chest) and the tray shot out and primers went everywhere. 
My bad mood got worse…

I did find all 100 primers though. 

I then berated myself for working on reloading while not fully focused on what I was doing. 
I’m retired now. My lousy attitude is much much better these days. ;)

I use a little 1/16” (1.58mm) straight punch to pop the tabs so I can get the tray out. It’s just a handy little punch I keep on my bench. 

• Like 3

Most of the time I can just push the plastic tray past those irritating tabs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Supposedly Federal switched to the larger style packaging in the 1990s so those primers must be older than that.  They should work fine if they have been stored properly.  

Edited by July Smith

2 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

Hate to burst some of ya'lls bubbles, but:

20240129_151302.jpg

Well of course they're cheap. Don't you see the sticker? They're on sale.

• Haha 2

I know a lot of Cowboys like Federal Primers, Because they work better with weaker springs and or tuned guns .

Most of my guns are stock with stock springs and in 44 caliber. 

I could care less what Primers I use .

They all go bang for me lol :D

I would normally tend to buy CCI .

I bought 50k Russian Primers 4 years ago and had ZERO issues with them . :o

I have been just storing away all my Federal CCI Remington & Winchester Primers ever sence . :rolleyes:

When I run out of the Russian Primers. 

I will go back to using the others I have put away .

Primers are so expensive nowadays. 

I don't see me having to buy any for probably another 10 years or so .

Last time I had to buy brand name Primers I was paying between 15.00 to 20.00 a Thousand. :huh:

Besides I have been shooting my Cap  Guns regularly for a few years now . :wub:

Rooster 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Federal has always packaged that way ;)

Nope they used to have a thinner package but still those annoying tabs. 

IMG_2207.thumb.jpeg.cab16c36221de6645de3c9f7cd1d464a.jpeg

IMG_2208.thumb.jpeg.9c77474b69c03c83b9f3ef6a24b70adc.jpeg

IMG_2206.thumb.jpeg.f90daf7e1c5565ba1fd61c57df56c44a.jpeg

9 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Okay. So I am mistaken, never wrong, by the way. ;)

Perhaps I am thinking of Winchester small pistol primers?…

I do recall buying Gold Medal Large Rifle packaged in the fat sleeves. 

Regardless, I’ll not be buying Federal primers in the future if I can get my hands on CCI or even Winchester. I would take Sellier & Bellot primers over Federal. 
I just don’t like how soft they are when priming cases. It’s like shaking hands with a limp-wrister. (Insert the creeps here)

You weren’t mistaken………….

this time. :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Nope they used to have a thinner package but still those annoying tabs. 

IMG_2207.thumb.jpeg.cab16c36221de6645de3c9f7cd1d464a.jpeg

IMG_2208.thumb.jpeg.9c77474b69c03c83b9f3ef6a24b70adc.jpeg

IMG_2206.thumb.jpeg.f90daf7e1c5565ba1fd61c57df56c44a.jpeg

You weren’t mistaken………….

this time. :P

THAT’S IT! That’s the same box, coloring and wording I recall from the past. Late 90’s is when I had them. It also looks the same as a brick of Federal primers I bought from a guy in Oregon 8 or 9 years ago. He told me they were old but would work just fine. He was right. 

Still hate those little tabs. I’d rather cut tape. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You're 'rite' about how the primers are positioned. ;)

When did you buy that pkg.

I like the taps, keeps them from spilling out.

No idea as I got the package in the last of my Dad's reloading stuff. If I am reading the data code right the thin package is from 1988.

The one with the price on it is of hte thick design.  I didn't take a pic of the data code so I have no idea how old it it.  It was in a large collection of reloading stuff I got a couple years ago from a guy at work didn't want. 

• Thanks 1

$1.49 for small rifle bench rest primers. Probably purchased 1980ish. 

(edit) As per the link above, the lot code MA 1307 would put the date of manufacture toward the end of 1981... I guess...?

FederalPrimers_02.thumb.jpg.01a76302ec32830b51308a8f2fb858e3.jpg

Edited by Three Foot Johnson
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

$1.49 for small rifle bench rest primers. Probably purchased 1980ish.

FederalPrimers_02.thumb.jpg.01a76302ec32830b51308a8f2fb858e3.jpg

Big difference in price from that to this:

IMG_6654.thumb.jpeg.71408cda2b8ef991d9ee75bec2970e1e.jpeg

I just bought 2000 CCI Small Pistol Primers from Midway with my birthday discount. $67.95 per 1000 looked good until shipping and HazMat was added. $170 total. 

I kind of figured prices would be reasonable by now. Looks like I was wrong…

That brick above was bought in November at my LGS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

How 'bout pre-plastic cardboard trays with little strips of wood for dividers? 

Primers_Dominion.thumb.jpg.ccc3fa4fccc116f473b42dfe15dd93d1.jpg

WOW! Those look great. How old are they?

I haven’t heard of C.I.L. - Canadian Industries Limited. 

On 1/29/2024 at 11:05 AM, Alpo said:

Personally, I miss this style of box.

30972834_2.jpg?v=8D6087E1D19B770

I also miss the price of that style of box - between 90 and 95 cents each.

This is what I'm talkin' about!   SB