SASS Wire Forum

Dang Arthritis

Howdy Folks …

I started developing arthritis in both hands about 6 months ago. Not to whine too much, but my biggest problem is in the web between thumb and first finger. Is there anything in the rules that keeps me from making/buying a semi glove with some extra leather padding to ease the recoil in this one area ?  Not too bad with my revolvers, but 1911 in Wildbunch does a job on me.   Want to stay legal for all types of local, state, and regional matches.  TIA.  :FlagAm:

Kidd AtHeart

• Sad 1

If you can obtain a letter from a medical professional stating that a padded glove is necessary to safely participate in SASS/WBAS events, any Match Director will grant an exception to allow you to wear one.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

yup - faught it all day replacing the sink and faucet in my half bath today , then there is that gettin down on the floor and working over your head crap that just dont work well anymore too , but all is well at the end of the day , all plumbing leaks are solved in spite of that arthritic pain and lack of dexterity i once had 

• Like 1

Just now, watab kid said:

yup - faught it all day replacing the sink and faucet in my half bath today , then there is that gettin down on the floor and working over your head crap that just dont work well anymore too , but all is well at the end of the day , all plumbing leaks are solved in spite of that arthritic pain and lack of dexterity i once had 

oh and i went to my cardiac review this morning before all that - seems my pacemaker is activating 67$ of the time , told me that was in acceptable range - i guess im inclined to think it would be considering the alternative - id accept 100% if needed but then im not looking to live forever anymore - just want to shoot a few more times if i can ,  

Diet is a key contributor to  Arthritis .Where exactly do you have this Arthritis? I have in the past used Lidocaine cream  Now I just eat the right foods exercise and all is well.

Best Wishes

:FlagAm:

Friend of mine wears one of those CopperFit gloves on his arthritic hand but takes it off to shoot then puts it right back on. He says it gives him some relief.

I also have arthritis in my right hand so I'm mostly shooting two handed these days cocking the hammer with my left. I take a couple Advil before the shoot or an Alleve works for me too.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 7:33 AM, Texas Jack Black said:

Diet is a key contributor to  Arthritis .Where exactly do you have this Arthritis? I have in the past used Lidocaine cream  Now I just eat the right foods exercise and all is well.

Best Wishes

What are the right foods? I have had arthritis issues for years. Big toe joint cut out, hip replaced and now they want to replace both knees. Short stroke revolvers (Shotgun Boogie) and ‘73 (Reno Mustang) and a slick shotgun (Fast Eddie) help considerably but it would be nice to find something that would help the arthritis pain.

Thanks

Randy

9 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

What are the right foods? I have had arthritis issues for years. Big toe joint cut out, hip replaced and now they want to replace both knees. Short stroke revolvers (Shotgun Boogie) and ‘73 (Reno Mustang) and a slick shotgun (Fast Eddie) help considerably but it would be nice to find something that would help the arthritis pain.

Thanks

Randy

If you do not want pills  Try eating Fish  ,nuts, fruit, veggies , nightshade veggies ,Olive Oil  Turmeric. Stop the alcohol and all processed foods. Also lose weight  If you are 20 pounds overweight that is 120 pounds  pressure on your knees.  Also no red meat or dairy 

Best Wishes:FlagAm:

Edited by Texas Jack Black
  • Thanks 2

i get the diet stuff and the weight loss , but some of what you suggest just aint gonns happen , too old to give some things up anymore and my doctor sorta said what im getting is inevitable with age , but thanks for the recommendations and ill apply what i can of that , 

Get a referral to a hand surgeon, not because you want surgery but because they are the experts.  He will tell you what is going on and what you can do about it.

• Like 3

Dealing with big-time psoriatic arthritis. (Inflammatory, versus osteo "bone on bone".

First, and soonest, reduce recoil. Whatever you load, go to minimum weight, minimum velocity. Stop hammering your hands. Down-caliber the handguns you choose if you can.

If you can shoot weak-hand half the time, you can give each hand a weekend off. Or Gunfighter/Double-Deulist to do  half the work each match.

If not already shooting .32s, try them.

Getting the hammers lowered (bent-down, super Blackhawk, bisley) and/or short-stroking can help.

BP minimum loads, especially with APP have rather soft-shove recoil versus smokeless slap.

Shotgun - feather-lights. Double? Punch it forward to unload, not yank backwards. If you can, try learning to shoot it weak- side.

Any non-cowboy high impact / vibration isn't helping. Learn to use computer mouse with the other hand.

Medical pros: Have them evaluate what is going on inside your hands.

Don't make things worse with wrong-stubborn.

Apply ice at the match when not shooting.

• Like 1

If you want the quick fix  try Lidocaine cream and Advil.

Best Wishes

• Like 1

I use Voltaren  on my back and neck it's mostly for Arthritis Pain. Believe me it works great.  It doesn't help my COPD and wish it could.

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414
  • Like 1