SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 question

I recently picked up a Marlin 1894.  I replaced the lever plunger spring with a reduced power spring from Wolff Springs, now the lever will not remain closed most of the time.

Is this normal with these springs?  Any remedy other than going back to stock spring ? Does seem safe to me

25 minutes ago, Bitterroot Jake, SASS #9532 said:

I recently picked up a Marlin 1894.  I replaced the lever plunger spring with a reduced power spring from Wolff Springs, now the lever will not remain closed most of the time.

Is this normal with these springs?  Any remedy other than going back to stock spring ? Does seem safe to me

Send Widder a message. It's good to get info from folks that know what they are doing.

Phantom

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Bitterroot Jake, SASS #9532 said:

Have you gone to a one piece firing pin and a lighter trigger spring? That should help. You will need to tweak the lever safety spring also.

Randy

The hole in the lever that the spring and plunger set could use some polishing.  The latch area was broken off this 100 year old Marlin and needed to be rebuilt.  I tried other levers and none would work. 

198965593_Marlinleverrebuild6June2019.jpg.3c4f97e67e5394e5d2b9197ba8928556.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have changed the trigger spring and removed the mag tube spacer.  I am yet  to work on the safety spring. 

Don't know what trimming the mag spring or installing a one piece  firing pen would do to solve the problem.  I'll contacting Wider or Slater if tweaking safety spring doesn't solve it. 

I'll probably never use this rifle in CAS anyway.  I traded a non-CAS  (that I never used either) to this Marlin, tried one many years ago and didn't really care much for it.  But I want ready if I do.

Mine will open after loading a few rounds. I just hold it closed until loaded. I have never had an issue with it opening after loading the tube. Since I hold the rifle still on the table while loading to reduce barrel wear on the table, it hasn't been any sort of issue for me. +1 for a Q to Widder.

13 hours ago, Bitterroot Jake, SASS #9532 said:

Yes, common. 

Reinstall the factory spring and polish the plunger's face.

Dab of grease on plunger face will help.

@Widder, SASS #59054 @Slater's In House Guns @Slater

are Marlin gunsmiths extraordinaire! 

Tell the Scarlett sends a HUG!

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 1

On mine the safety spring would push the lever open with a lighter lever plunger spring.  I had to either run a lighter spring for the safety or bend the stock one a little to reduce pressure.  I don’t remember who made one, but someone does make a lighter safety spring.