SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmoke oddities

Rye Miles #13621

Did you ever notice in Gunsmoke how many times they state their names during one conversations? 

EXAMPLE: Chester:   Mr. Dillon are we going after those three bad guys?

Matt: Well yes Chester we need to catch those guys

Chester: Well Mr. Dillon we don't know which way they went

Matt; Well Chester, we'll have to track em down

Chester; Okay Mr. Dillon I trust you

Matt: Well Chester, you should because I know what I'm doing

Chester: I know you do Mr. Dillon

This is just a made up conversation but anyone that watches Gunsmoke knows this is how they converse with each other. How may times do you have to say the person's name in ONE CONVERSATION???? Geeeeeezzzzz..............

OKAY RANT OVER (BTW I do love the show):)

The script probably had a bunch more conversation. Then it needed editing to fit in the time, allowing for commercials and such. They had to guarantee the conversation started with names, but never knew which part of the script would make it in.

But it does come across as strange.

12 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Television reception was so fuzzy in the 1950s, it helped you know who was talking to who.

We got 4 channels...Blurry, Fuzzy, Diagonally Challenged and Hold the Dog Ears.

Ah, the good ole days.

Well, Rye Miles, I don't rightly know.

Saw one the other day, that of course I've seen before! Matt had been shot in the shoulder and was recovering in a cave where an Indian was caring for him. When Festus found him, Matt had a revolving rifle! Never noticed it before!

Maybe it was to keep the audience (viewers) constantly aware of the character's names for future reference. "Go back to town and get Doc."

Did anyone notice how many times Mr. Dillon and Chester went to the "Well"?

"Well" never went dry.

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

Saw one the other day, that of course I've seen before! Matt had been shit in the shoulder and was recovering in a cave where an Indian was caring for him. When Festus found him, Matt had a revolving rifle! Never noticed it before!

Wow, that had to hurt....who got him?

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Saw one the other day, that of course I've seen before! Matt had been shit in the shoulder and was recovering in a cave where an Indian was caring for him. When Festus found him, Matt had a revolving rifle! Never noticed it before!

I think you better edit SHOT!!! :lol:

14 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Wow, that had to hurt....who got him?

A guy up in the rocks after Matt shot his horse that had a broken leg. Fixed the typo!:lol:

In 2013, Marshall Trimble, the board president of the Arizona Historical Society and vice president of the Wild West History Association, documented that Matt Dillon's TV character was shot at least 56 times, knocked unconscious 29 times, stabbed three times, and poisoned once.  Luckily almost all flesh wounds or through and throughs.

I watch it every day lol .

Much better then most of the other westerns of the day .

Rooster 

3 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

The script probably had a bunch more conversation. Then it needed editing to fit in the time, allowing for commercials and such. They had to guarantee the conversation started with names, but never knew which part of the script would make it in.

But it does come across as strange.

Why didn’t they edit out the dumb repeating of their names then?  No one talks like that !

1 hour ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

In 2013, Marshall Trimble, the board president of the Arizona Historical Society and vice president of the Wild West History Association, documented that Matt Dillon's TV character was shot at least 56 times, knocked unconscious 29 times, stabbed three times, and poisoned once.  Luckily almost all flesh wounds or through and throughs.

In real life, he had his leg badly shot up during the invasion of Anzio during WWII. Took well over a year and many surgeries to semi-recover from the wounds. Always had a limp after that. Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

In real life, he had his leg badly shot up during the invasion of Anzio during WWII. Took well over a year and many surgeries to semi-recover from the wounds. Always had a limp after that. Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

Yep, I knew about that!

Archived