Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Wonder how hard it would be to clean asphalt off a gun?


Alpo

Recommended Posts

I just awakened from my mid-morning nap. Just before I woke up I dreamed that I was watching several people veryBURY some guns. They had a form and they laid the guns in the form but instead of covering them with concrete they covered them with asphalt.

 

Why? Heck if I know. Dream.

 

But I woke up wondering about cleaning the asphalt off of guns.

Edited by Alpo
otto is getting deafer
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as you don’t include any wood or plastic items, any good solvent will dissolve bitumen. May take a while but it will work. 
 

 Would definitely be labor intensive and a real PITA. 

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

As above. Would make the cosmoline I took off my SKS seem like a breeze.

 

A little heat and basically any solvent and you're good to go.

 

I used to put SKS stocks in the oven with the door cracked at the lowest temperature.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, El Chapo said:

 

A little heat and basically any solvent and you're good to go.

 

I used to put SKS stocks in the oven with the door cracked at the lowest temperature.

Yeah, about that oven thing. That is a hard NO here. Learned that lesson drying brass and my bride came home.....

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Yeah, about that oven thing. That is a hard NO here. Learned that lesson drying brass and my bride came home.....

Not once but thrice.  I mucked up my wife’s oven. 

1. I used Kal-Gard Gun Kote on a pistol and baked it in the oven. That smell stays a while. 


2. Heated the metal parts of a Chinese SKS in the oven to get cosmoline out. Trouble is I was drinking beer with shots of whiskey and kind of forgot about it. Ever clean burnt cosmoline off a grate and oven floor?

 

3.  Dehydrated a few 1 pound desiccant bags. How was I supposed to know the maker used a plastic material that looked like burlap…it melted. Desiccant everywhere. Ever clean melted burned plastic off oven grates and heating element?

 

I think she forgave me long ago, but she hasn’t forgotten. 

 

 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Gasoline eats asphalt. 
 

WD-40 would work and is less dangerous to use than gasoline. 

 

Gasoline works great on removing asphalt, roofing tar also. Have to do it outside with a good breeze blowing on it and don't use ferrous metal tools. It is dangerous as most might guess. I wonder if acetone would do the same job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dip style carburetor cleaner will remove asphalt and other petroleum based products pretty quickly and entirely. Just make sure there are no rubber or plastic products present.

 

Make sure you don’t get any on your skin! It’s extremely caustic and it’ll take the hide right off!

 

It’s hell on shellac and varnish, so it’s best to remove any wood as well!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

 

Gasoline works great on removing asphalt, roofing tar also. Have to do it outside with a good breeze blowing on it and don't use ferrous metal tools. It is dangerous as most might guess. I wonder if acetone would do the same job.

The reason I mentioned gasoline was when I was in high school one of the schools I went to put asphalt speed bumps every 25 yards on the road that circled the school and in the parking lots in the middle of the drive lanes. 
An impromptu meeting was held in the smoking lot (yes, we could smoke at the school in the smoking lot). This meeting was about “What to do about these speed bumps”. A plan was hatched to pour gasoline on each speed bump on a Friday night to dissolve the tar. Heads, Jocks and Farmers came together on the next Friday night with full gas cans and a keg of beer along with about 8 more cases.  There were at least 30 of us. We doused the bumps then headed to the reservoir to drink beer. 
I really don’t know how much gas we used but nearly every speed bump became a skinny pile of loose black rocks. 
On Monday the State Police were there in force along with the Sheriff’s Dept and some assorted Suits. Lots of really angry adults. 
By mid-day all the messy gooey speed bump remnants were gone. Only 2 speed bumps were replaced. One at the entry of the school road access and one at the other entrance they opened for sporting event traffic. 
The authorities never found out who took out the speed bumps. 
I didn’t own a car but that didn’t matter. Being ornery is fun. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

as to the original question , i dont know , but i know there are more than one [actually a lot] of folks that have left the gun club i work at with the tail gate down , their guns cased and uncased saw the pavement - few speak of it so its hard to answer your question , im guessing very difficult 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gasoline, Acetone, and Naphtha (lighter fluid) will work but they are rather flammable.

 

Turpentine is supposed to be one of the best solvents for asphalt and is not nearly as flammable as the above named solvents..

 

Although it takes longer Diesel fuel will dissolve asphalt and it is not nearly as flammable.

 

According to the internet: 

 

Bitumax is a blend of aliphatic solvents and emulsifiers which rapidly breaks down deposits of tar and asphalt from most surfaces. Bitumax is non-corrosive and abrasive free, making it ideal for removing tar bitumen from lorries, cars and tar spraying equipment. Bitumax is highly concentrated and will work swiftly, dissolving even hardened tar, yet not affecting the underlying surface. Deposits are then simply hosed away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Gasoline, Acetone, and Naphtha (lighter fluid) will work but they are rather flammable.

 

Turpentine is supposed to be one of the best solvents for asphalt and is not nearly as flammable as the above named solvents..

 

Although it takes longer Diesel fuel will dissolve asphalt and it is not nearly as flammable.

 

According to the internet: 

 

Bitumax is a blend of aliphatic solvents and emulsifiers which rapidly breaks down deposits of tar and asphalt from most surfaces. Bitumax is non-corrosive and abrasive free, making it ideal for removing tar bitumen from lorries, cars and tar spraying equipment. Bitumax is highly concentrated and will work swiftly, dissolving even hardened tar, yet not affecting the underlying surface. Deposits are then simply hosed away.

Wasn’t Bitumax a failed attempt at electronic entertainment? :rolleyes:
 

 


 

I’ll show myself out now….

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.