SASS Wire Forum

Strange eats you picked up from your ancestors.

Anyone ever hear of Aunt Bills candy? My grandmother would make it for us usually around Christmas time. It appears to be an Oklahoma thing. It is my favorite candy even to this day. We have tried to make it but it has never come out right. I found a candy store in OKC when I was there for Land Run 3 years ago and they make it commercially. I now usually get 2 or 3 boxes (pound per box) of it when I go to Land Run each year. It is good but still not as good as my grandmother made. They said they were the only commercial store to make it that they were aware of. When there this past year they didn't have any made. I learned a lot from them on how they make it and when. Humidity has to be below 40% or they can't make it. They said they would be making some the following week if everything worked out well. I told them I wouldn't be there after Sunday so they said they would mail it to me on their dime and they did. I got 3 pounds of it and went through the first pound the week after getting it. I put the other 2 up for later since it is good for a year. If anyone is interested the name of the candy store is Woody's Candy. 

TM

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My parents, and later on my wife's parents, would come to visit and one of the first things they would do is check the pantry and fridge to make sure we weren't doing without.  

That went on eve after we were making more than they were together.

It was a aDepression thing, but all four of them were also raised on a shoe string long before that.  

On 11/20/2023 at 1:36 PM, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Well, that's true enough.  I never went hungry from not having a meal provided.  If you would have seen me back then you would have thought I was starving as I was tiny and skinny.  I've made up for it.  I am well fed.  My parents always acted like they were going to have to go without.  The food fear of the depression stayed with them for the rest of their lives.  Nothing was thrown out.  All left overs were made into something else.  Stews, soups, pot pies, etc.  If mom couldn't use the leftovers right away, it got wrapped and put in the freezer for future use.  Every so often my sisters would clean out mom's refrigerator. Mom would have a teaspoon of mayo in a 16 ounce jar or just enough jam/jelly to cover the bottom of a jar.  Mom would have half a dozen jars like that.  Mom and dad would blame the other for not throwing things like that out.  They would have spaghetti sauce that had mold on it and wouldn't let you throw it out because they said they'd just scrape the mold off.  No.  No mom.  As a kid, my folks had gifts of cheeses, those little fancy wrapped, specialty ones, in the fridge that were older than my youngest sister.  They weren't going to eat them but they sure as heck weren't going to throw them away.  Food/hunger fear is a real thing.

I did learn what true hunger is in high school when I was on the wrestling team.  Not eating for 2 or 3 days to make weight is punishment.  I promised myself I'd never go hungry again. Me and Miss Scarlet have that in common.

Fear of hunger...

I remember my parents, aunts, and uncles urging me and my cousins to "eat something so you won't get hungry later on."  They were all young people during the Depression.

27 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Fear of hunger...

I remember my parents, aunts, and uncles urging me and my cousins to "eat something so you won't get hungry later on."  They were all young people during the Depression.

and now we have the empty shelves from the Covid era. Everyone around here are trying to keep stocked up with staples as much as possible. Neighbors have there garage stuffed with beans and rice plus all the necessary paper goods like toilet paper and paper towels. 

TM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas Maverick said:

Anyone ever hear of Aunt Bills candy? My grandmother would make it for us usually around Christmas time. It appears to be an Oklahoma thing.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/lifestyle/food/2022/11/30/holiday-favorite-aunt-bills-brown-candy-makes-its-return-in-original-and-microwave-forms/69660815007/

They mention Woody's Candy in the article, and give a link.

• Like 1