SASS Wire Forum

A Question For the CAS Fashion Aware

DocWard

Yes, I am posting here and not the Wire because... Well, because.

So, my brother gave me an old jacket that I had bought him many years ago. Back in the '80s if I recall correctly. To be precise a short fringed leather jacket. Yes I know, the naysayers will shout "It's not historically accurate!" "It's not period correct!" etc... But I would argue it is movie / TV accurate. The downside is it has snaps with faux buffalo head coins instead of buttons. Right now, I can get it on, but it is snug and in my current shape (round IS a shape!) I would definitely need to drop some weight before wearing it. I would like to wear it on occasion, to honor him, since I don't think he will ever be well enough to shoot CAS, although I keep my fingers crossed. Thoughts?

Wear it unbuttoned and open, until you lose the weight needed.

(198 a year ago, down to 175 this morning.)

6 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Wear it unbuttoned and open, until you lose the weight needed.

(198 a year ago, down to 175 this morning.)

I'll have a few months to work on it over the winter. I don't do too much CAS shooting until spring, although that may change this year, depending. And good job. I'm at about 230. Fighting weight is somewhere around 200 or so. I came back from last deployment at 205.

Wear it with no worries depending upon where the fringe is located on the jacket. If the fringe has the possibility of interfering with your shotgun shells or, especially, your pistol draw/reholster then don't wear it. I've seen loaded pistols dropped three times because the shooter grabbed fringe AND the pistol at the same time.

Wear it for sure, SASS dress rules are pretty liberal and includes TV westerns. I’ve gotten less historically correct as I got older, I’m going for comfort. 

7 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Nothing says that you have to wear it to a Cowboy shoot.

That's why he gave it to me, and while it is nice and was expensive at the time, it isn't something I would typically wear otherwise.

@Cypress Sun made an excellent point. I witnessed something similar as well. 
One gent that had fringe on his jacket wore gauntlets to capture the fringe on his wrists so it didn’t get in his shotgun action. 
Another gent trimmed his a bit shorter. 

6 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Wear it with no worries depending upon where the fringe is located on the jacket. If the fringe has the possibility of interfering with your shotgun shells or, especially, your pistol draw/reholster then don't wear it. I've seen loaded pistols dropped three times because the shooter grabbed fringe AND the pistol at the same time.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

@Cypress Sun made an excellent point. I witnessed something similar as well. 
One gent that had fringe on his jacket wore gauntlets to capture the fringe on his wrists so it didn’t get in his shotgun action. 
Another gent trimmed his a bit shorter. 

Before I shoot in it, that is something I will look at and take heed of.

Wear it proudly and since your actual time shooting at a match is very short, just shed the jacket before you go to the line if it’s in the way or interferes with your shooting.I see many shooters do this, a spotter or other shooter is always glad to hold my buffalo coat.

Archived