SASS Wire Forum

Worst actor/actress roles

DeaconKC

Okay, let's hear your ideas of the worst selections of an actor or actress in a film or TV role. I will start off with two: Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher and yes, the Duke in The Conqueror.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daniel Craig as James Bond. He just looks like a beach bum to me. 

Come to think of it…Pierce Brosnan as James Bond. If you have ever seen him in a tee shirt you would see his little skinny white pipe cleaner arms. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Everyone and everything in Walker, Texas Ranger.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Casting someone who is 5'6 in a role that called for someone who is more like 6'8" - Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

Casting someone in his thirties who looks like he's in his twenties in a role that calls for a 50 something grizzled veteran - Mark Wahlberg as Bob Lee Swagger. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I thought Craig wast the best Bond since Sean Connery. So did Sean Connery.

What’s your point? The OP said “Let’s hear your ideas on the worst selection of an actor…” I would take this to mean “What’s your opinion…”

I gave mine. 

• Like 1

Is it bad acting?  Or is it a bad director or script?

I've seen talented, award winning actors turn in a bad performance.  George Lucas should never had been allowed to direct, he's a good example of a director that regularly fails to get the best out of an actor.  JJ Abrams probably isn't far behind.

I saw  Godzilla, King Of The Monsters (1956) in a downtown theater as a kid, and even as a kid I recognized that the special effects and Raymond Burr's flat performance were a waste of lawn mowing money.

• Haha 1

Idris Ilba as Roland Deschain

I like the guy just fine, but he was racial pandering to play The Gunslinger.
No way.
No possible way.
Great read, but truly terribly movie, all the way around, and I'm a huge fan of the book series.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Rene Zelwiger in Appaloosa 

Hmm.  I thought she played the role just as the book was written.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Hmm.  I thought she played the role just as the book was written.  

Maybe but I just don’t like her acting ! That’s my opinion!

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Have you seen the reboot, Walker on CW channel?  It is worse.

It's not even a reboot. It's a totally different story with the lead character of the same name. He's a whiney little wimp that wouldn't make a pimple on Chuck Norris' butt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There have been so many, I don't know where to start.  Let's see, Rod Steiger as a cowboy in Jubal.  James Caan as a cowboy.  Ricky Nelson as a cowboy.  Steven Seagal as a tough guy and as an Indian!  Any Western that used white guys as Indians, especially Rock Hudson!  

I know Audie Murphy was a WWII hero, and I respect him for that, but as a Western movie actor, not so much.  

Oh, one of the all time worst was Bobby Darin, who was a great musician, but as a cowboy in a movie he sucked.

• Like 1

Mustafa Speaks as Nate Romanowski in the too-short Joe Pickett series.

Speaks is very good actor.  I just have a problem with casting people in roles for the sake of gratuitous "ethnic balance."  Romanowski was of Polish descent in the books;  casting Speaks would have been like having Tom Cruise as Carl Bashear* in Men of Honor.

*the first African-American U.S. Navy Diver

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Mustafa Speaks as Nate Romanowski in the too-short Joe Pickett series

I hear you. That's like them casting Michael B Jordan

440px-2018-05-12-_Cannes-L'acteur_Michae

As the white Irish guy John Kelly in Without Remorse.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chantry said:

Is it bad acting?  Or is it a bad director or script?

I've seen talented, award winning actors turn in a bad performance.  George Lucas should never had been allowed to direct, he's a good example of a director that regularly fails to get the best out of an actor.  JJ Abrams probably isn't far behind.

Ain't that the truth. Hayden Christensen got reamed for his deadpan dialogue in the Star Wars prequels, but when he came back and starred in the various Disney spin-offs people were surprised that he actually CAN act. Lucas simply gave him nothing to work with. Even during the original trilogy Harrison Ford was known to have said to Lucas "You can write this s*** but you can't say it!".

Dustin Hoffman and Barbara Streisand as  Roz and Bernie Focker.  

WORST.CASTING.CHOICE.EVER.

Dustin Hoffman and Barbara Streisand may or may not be legends in their field - BUT - Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara were comedy legends - and were the real parents of "Greg Focker" 

Jerry Stiller played - and displayed - great "stage chemistry" with his son Ben - I cannot imagine a better choice than to have casted Ben Stiller's REAL parents to play Roz and Bernie Focker.

Barbara Streisands charachter was a throwaway that brought nothing to the movie - and her acting sucks anyway.

...but Bernie - dear sweet baby Jesus.

Close your eyes for a second and let yourself hear Jerry Stillers voice in your head as he says...

-"We fockerized him"

-"You think you can take me"

-"I'm in the mood for a chimichanga!"

If that isn't enough, imagine Jerry Stiller during the Brazilian Dance fighting scene...

-"THIS IS CAPOEIRA, MAN. THIS IS SOME HARDCORE SHIT."

• Like 1

Having read this thread all the way through, there are a couple of picks that I would take exception to.

James Caan WAS a real cowboy! He was a champion with cutting horses and a pretty good calf roper.

Andy Devine was also a real cowboy. He got several parts in westerns because he was one of very few who could actually drive a six horse team!

As far as Audie Murphy goes, he did a great job in several westerns. Gunsmoke comes to mind and there were a couple more where he played a character that was underestimated and “proved up” that worked pretty well!

My own choices for actors that didn’t fit would be Tom Cruise in any of the Mission Impossible movies, Daniel Craig in anything, Bo Svenson in the Walking Tall sequel, Elvis in Flaming Star, Liam Neeson in anything that involves a gun, Barbara Striesand in anything, and Rosie O’Donald as a human being in any shape, form, or fashion!

EDIT: I haven’t seen any of the Jack Reacher series that feature Cruise. I won’t watch him or Neeson! Therefore, I can’t comment on those portrayals!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Thanks 1